STAR Test & Repair

My Name is Nobody
New CAP proposal.  What do you think, better or worst of?

https://smogcheck.ca.gov/pdf/Repair_Assistance_Regulation_7.20.17.pdf

Re: STAR Test & Repair

kfworry
That proposal Totally Defeats the States Agenda to get the Older Vehicles OFF THE ROAD!!
What are these Knuckle Heads Thinking????

Re: STAR Test & Repair

I think the other one that was left out was the "respondents" unrealistic repair time frame. This may have been interpreted as "STAR stations did not want to work on their vehicle."

I had one lady come in on a holiday Monday morning no appointment and with no paperwork or idea as to why her vehicle failed but had a blue letter and wanted to be done and smogged by noon.

I also had a customer with a Prius with a MIL on and code P0420. She did not want to have any diagnostics because "the code said the catalytic converter was bad" and she wanted to take part of the $450 and buy a cat on-line and then have me install it.

Re: STAR Test & Repair

Re: STAR Test & Repair

locopoco
I wonder how much did this analysis cost us tax payers?!

Re: STAR Test & Repair

Best Answer I Can Give
 Computer Stupid here, but, Why is it every time I go to open one of those it's 404 page not found?

Re: STAR Test & Repair

Re: STAR Test & Repair

D wrote
Also, "STAR stations did not want to work with CAP representatives."
In my experience, some CAP representatives have a far worse attitude than I toward helping the consumer:

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/CrAP-snafu-tp5025122.html

Re: STAR Test & Repair

Ms. Cunningham,

The proposed regulation to increase the repair assistance from $500 to $800

appears to be in conflict with the Enhanced Fleet Modernization Program to get

the older vehicles Off The Road.

Why not increase the minimum for vehicle retirement from $1000 to $1500 for

ALL income brackets??

Re: STAR Test & Repair

Best Answer I Can Give
 KF you forgot ONE RULE. It Can't Make Sense.

Re: STAR Test & Repair

Kriss Vector

Re: STAR Test & Repair

kfworry
Ms. Cunningham,

The STAR program has caused STAR CAP Test & Repair Stations to NOT accept older vehicles for diagnostic and repair because it adversely affects the Stations STAR Follow-Up Pass Rate, "FPR".

Re: STAR Test & Repair

Re: STAR Test & Repair

I was one of the stations BAR data mined for repairs that exceeded the repair assistance amount.   I agree with most of what they want to do in the PDF.

none wrote
I think the other one that was left out was the "respondents" unrealistic repair time frame. This may have been interpreted as "STAR stations did not want to work on their vehicle."
Some consumers seem to think repairs are a simple process, and since someone else is paying for them, it should be performed on demand.    Yeah, right.

I've had a few consumers come in with a long list of T&R shops that either didn't have the time, or out right said they didn't do CAP repairs.   I betcha there isn't a T&R/CAP station within 5 miles of me that will do CAP repairs.

I had one lady come in on a holiday Monday morning no appointment and with no paperwork or idea as to why her vehicle failed but had a blue letter and wanted to be done and smogged by noon.
Those don't stay once I tell them my diagnostic fee.  When CAP paid for it, it was 1.5 hrs.  We can set our prices now.   I always quote 1.5 hrs, and usually that will get rid or the "Formally known as the $20 co-pay" consumer.  If they agree to my demands, I always ask to keep their vehicle for at least 3 days.

I also had a customer with a Prius with a MIL on and code P0420. She did not want to have any diagnostics because "the code said the catalytic converter was bad" and she wanted to take part of the $450 and buy a cat on-line and then have me install it.
That's a factory cat, and one of the reasons BAR/CAP want to up the amount of repair assistance.   That cat should be covered for 15years/150K miles under the PZEV warranty.   Any PZEV comes in with a check engine light below that threshold always goes to the dealer first before I work on it.

Re: STAR Test & Repair

none
scanner wrote
... That cat should be covered for 15years/150K miles under the PZEV warranty.   Any PZEV comes in with a check engine light below that threshold always goes to the dealer first before I work on it.
She was well over on mileage. In my area the miles rack up pretty fast. I have sent customers to the dealer for warranty quite often well before the BAR has made the recent push. When I worked at Toyota we were literally tested on the warranty durations.

One of the first hybrids I had in for testing was a Prius with the check engine light on and the customer's response was "That light has always been on." I use that as an example all the time as to why hybrids get a smog check. If she took care of it back when it first came on it would have been on Toyota's dime.

Re: STAR Test & Repair

One of the first hybrids I had in for testing was a Prius with the check engine light on and the customer's response was "That light has always been on." I use that as an example all the time as to why hybrids get a smog check. If she took care of it back when it first came on it would have been on Toyota's dime.
It would take a lot of abuse from a consumer to destroy a Prius catalytic converter.   The consumer probably never changed the oil, and probably never used full synthetic oil in the engine.   I would think that a new factory cat wouldn't last very long in a non-maintained Prius.    Probably long enough to last the 1 year factory warranty though. :-)