Same Story. 2 Different times and Shop's

Same Story. 2 Different times and Shop's

Best Answer I Can Give
 Guy across the street years ago. Now one of the local shops that took a class from a teacher in Orange County, he told me the same story.

 Both have to do with CAP.
The PR comes out and gives them crap. The story is  about how a PR comes in wanting to pull all their licences because they are doing bad work. They don't know what they are doing, Cheating.

 Years apart Many miles apart. Two vehicles. Both GPed. Both are now going for CAP money. Both AFTER repair test did not go "Below the Average".
Wait a Fucking minute. The second the machine sees the number below the standard it goes to the next step. How in the hell is it to see the number the BAR wants to see, when a machine the BAR approved will not let it get to that number?
 So a PR is going to play GOD, close you down, pull your CAP\Gold shield, because of something beyond your control. Because a PR doesn't KNOW how the machine works.

 Twice this has happened. We are the BAR and we can PLAY GOD.
Well God is all knowing. Can't say the same for those PR's.

Re: Same Story. 2 Different times and Shop's

none
I'm sure there is more to the story.

Re: Same Story. 2 Different times and Shop's

Besta, it is basic procedure with CAP repairs that the repairs must leave the vechicle as clean as the "average " numbers on the VIR or cleaner .

Re: Same Story. 2 Different times and Shop's

Best Answer I Can Give
 Ok fine. How are you to get those numbers if the machine goes to the next step the second it sees passing numbers?

 Yes I know how to do it. I told the guy across the street how to do it.  But when the machine sees clean it jumps.
 My world? ALL FAILS and then REPAIRS LONG PASS.

Re: Same Story. 2 Different times and Shop's

Karupt wrote
Besta, it is basic procedure with CAP repairs that the repairs must leave the vechicle as clean as the "average " numbers on the VIR or cleaner .
I don't know who told you that, but whoever it was needs a serious f**king reality check.  How can we be reasonably expected to bring the majority of these worn-out, beat-up, neglected, abused, tweaked-over turds back to "average" or better with a $500 polishing budget?  The vehicle owner is already pissed off paying for the diagnosis ... there's no way he or she is going to offer up more weed money when the estimate for a complete repair inevitably crosses above $500.

 Mr Barry brings up what I was trying to. BAR DOES NOT KNOW HOW IT WORKS.

Re: Same Story. 2 Different times and Shop's

Mr Barry brings up what I was trying to. BAR DOES NOT KNOW HOW IT WORKS.
I just want to say that I've been doing CAP for about 10 years.  I know 90% of the CAP BAR support techs.  They are very supportive, and have never threatened to take my Gold Shield/Star Station status away from me.

I've polished my share of turds just like Michael.  Sometimes you just can't bring the numbers down because the vehicle you're working on is a turd.

I can see if a station has been throwing cats, and vehicles barely passing, it would throw up a red flag.   If that is a pattern that keeps repeating, then I can see BAR removing that station from the CAP program.  In the CAP program, the CAT is the very last component to be changed.   If you're continuously swapping out cats with minimal tail pipe improvement, you're going get tossed.

You and Johnny are all about the tail pipe.  If you're throwing a bunch of parts with minimal improvement, you'll be under a lot of scrutiny.    I don't think CAP support techs are throwing repair techs under the bus randomly.

Re: Same Story. 2 Different times and Shop's

Best Answer I Can Give
 Scanner, this was not about the CAP guys.Looking at your stuff, I'm willing to say that you have a good relationship with a couple people up there. THEY KNOW YOU KNOW YOUR STUFF. They ask very little questions. You do not try to BS them and they KNOW that.
 One of the OIS engineers, I have a good relationship with him. We have talked enough that we both respect each other.

 The idea that you made the power box. Well so have I. The idea that you saw a problem and figured out a way to fix the problem, tells me a lot about you.

 A lot of the PR that would come in, we had respect for each other. They would find out I knew my shit and then there would be respect.

 What happen on these two was a NEW PR came in and was going to be GOD. GOD didn't know his stuff.

 As in all things in life, Good Cops bad cops. Good Doctors, Bad Doctors. Good BAR people, Bad BAR people.

 I dealt with one, one time. He was going to deny the CAP because the owner told him I didn't run the fan on the test. GP on NOx. Fan Yes or No was not going to help this GP.
He was going to deny the claim on what the owner of the car told him. Not what the guy that did the test told him.

 Whole point is, a PR can come in give you GRIEF, Have his shit wrong., and who PAYS?

Re: Same Story. 2 Different times and Shop's

This was not about the CAP guys.
You started the thread with.

Both have to do with CAP.
What happen on these two was a NEW PR came in and was going to be GOD. GOD didn't know his stuff.
A PR1 will not take upon himself to investigate a CAP station.   Where would the PR1 get the data submitted to CAP?   One of CAP's function is to review the repairs submitted to them after the invoice has been finalized.  A PR1 would have to be directed by CAP in Sacramento to audit a station.   Why would a PR1 randomly harass a CAP station without evidence?

I've been questioned once by a PR1 after a CAP repair.   I have to admit it was a heated discussion.   I don't follow typical diagnostic protocols or follow diagnostic trees.    The PR1 wanted my worksheet, and I handed him all of my scanner print outs.   He asked why I didn't measure certain parameters, and I responded with, "Why should I?"   "All the data you need to diagnose the problem is in front of you." Needless to say, neither of us backed down.   I'm still a CAP station.