Scannerbro

D Rochells 150861
Have you had any experience with Mazda 3/5 and P2096?

Re: Scannerbro

scanner
D Rochells 150861 wrote
Have you had any experience with Mazda 3/5 and P2096?
No, I've never had one come in for that code.

That said, how are the fuel trims?   How is the rear O2 reacting?  What is the PCM commanding, and how is the rear O2 responding?

A lot of techs thing that the rear O2 is just for monitoring the cat, but it also takes a big part in adjusting the fuel mixture.

Edit:  If it doesn't have the latest calibration, I believe there is a flash for that code.

Re: Scannerbro

D Rochells 150861
STFT 0-.08
LTFT 8.6

Rear 02 is .8 at idle, it will go low to about .1 at times, but under fuel cut decel it actually spikes to 1.0. I looked at the actual emissions readings and its about 30-80HC at idle, spiking to 2200 while driving with no load. It had failed for P0139 and 2096, by the time I got my hands on it someone had cleared it and only 2096 came back. Customer thinks he already replaced the 02, I also found a tsb about reprogramming to correct the 2096. I didn't get much time with it, I'm going to have to have them bring it back to poke around some more.

Re: Scannerbro

scanner
D Rochells 150861 wrote
STFT 0-.08
LTFT 8.6

Rear 02 is .8 at idle, it will go low to about .1 at times, but under fuel cut decel it actually spikes to 1.0. I looked at the actual emissions readings and its about 30-80HC at idle, spiking to 2200 while driving with no load. It had failed for P0139 and 2096, by the time I got my hands on it someone had cleared it and only 2096 came back. Customer thinks he already replaced the 02, I also found a tsb about reprogramming to correct the 2096. I didn't get much time with it, I'm going to have to have them bring it back to poke around some more.
The other thing that comes to mind is an air leak, but if the rear O2 is riding high at .8 at idle, there's probably no air leak.

Flash it.  I don't think you can overwrite an already updated PCM though.

Re: Scannerbro

Of the 99 Indentifix techs surveyed, 54 either reflashed or replaced the PCM for that DTC.  MAF sensor replacement was a distant second.

Re: Scannerbro

none
barrym95838 wrote
Of the 99 Indentifix techs surveyed, 54 either reflashed or replaced the PCM for that DTC.  MAF sensor replacement was a distant second.

SURVEY SAYS...

Re: Scannerbro

Can you reflash it and if so how much?

Re: Scannerbro

scanner
D Rochells 150861 wrote
Can you reflash it and if so how much?
I've never done a Mazda.  I assume it's like a Ford.  I went on the DrewTech J2534 ToolBox and it says you need an LSID for Mazda PATS.   I don't have an LSID, and I've done plenty of Ford PATS.

I've done GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota and Honda without an LSID.

I charge 1.5hrs to flash, plus website access.   Mazda access is $19.95 per day.  Ford is $49.95 for 2 days. I recently did a 2003 Toyota Camry that didn't need the flash in the end.  It was done for a Data Check Fail.  That was $65 for 2 days.

In the end, it doesn't make you much money for the time and effort you put into it.  The money is in the diag and swapping the part.  Flashing is a necessary evil.

Re: Scannerbro

D Rochells 150861
Man, my brain needs a reflash. I was thinking you were closer, but that's JB. It already passed so now I have some more time to figure out where to get it flashed.

Re: Scannerbro

scanner
D Rochells 150861 wrote
Man, my brain needs a reflash. I was thinking you were closer, but that's JB. It already passed so now I have some more time to figure out where to get it flashed.
I had said $19.95 for Mazda, but that's for Service Information.  Mazda programing is $44.95 for a 3 day access.

You can find pricing and a bunch of other references regarding the OEMs here.

https://www.nastf.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1

Re: Scannerbro

D Rochells 150861
Thanks

Re: Scannerbro

That's fro. My wxperern experience is usually fuel trim related, check you fuel ratio sensors, vacuum leaks, and spark plugs

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Scannerbro-tp5076892.html