Send It To The Ref.

Best Answer I Can Give
 Can't say, but I know one of the Ref's. As in know where he lives, met his wife. Know the guy.

 Talked to him at length.
 THEY HAVE NO MAGIC BUTTON. Sending it for Monitors? He can't give it a Cert. He can for cost, but not because it won't run them.
So if you want to send it for the cost Waiver, fine. If you send it because you can't get the monitors set, you have just lost a person that will never come back.

 I believe the State thinking is, It passed once from the factory, fixed right, it CAN BE FIXED!

 His biggest complaint was DUMB people that you have sent to the Ref. Trying to explain to them that he CAN'T help them. "But my mechanic say's you can pass it." So now you have TWO pissed off people. the owner of the vehicle and the Ref.
The vehicle owner is Dumb because they don't know the rules. Now you should.

 This is straight from a Ref. They cannot pass it because the monitors will not run.

 This is straight from a Ref. They cannot pass it because the monitors will not run.
Many variables on this. Either the tech doesnt know the enabling criteria, dont have time to do it or not worth doing, or some vehicles are just dang hard to set. Such as the catalyst monitors some vehicles such as the toyotas, hondas, and etc...

Re: Send It To The Ref.

But you can't just send a car to ref the customer needs to phone in to request an appointment and explain what's going on. Folks in my area are immediately directed to go to the dealer if they request an apt for obd not ready and then if they have spend the $ necessary for the waiver to call back.
Exercise and dividends,dividends, DIVIDENDS.

Re: Send It To The Ref.

[...]

is this in response to the permanent codes thread below?? or only about incomplete monitors?

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Permanent-DTCs-td5008316.html

 This is straight from a Ref. They cannot pass it because the monitors will not run.
Ref don't make those kinds of calls, someone up north does. Just like with my customers smog who got a visual tamper fail on computer, sensors, switches, and wiring.

Re: Send It To The Ref.

smoggee
And one thing I rarely see on here is that sometimes / often the car is broken.
Never attribute to conspiracy that which can be explained by incompetence

Re: Send It To The Ref.

none
SO, I have to admit that I have sent a few to CALL the ref that I knew would be kicked back. When I get a car from out-of-state that has aftermarket non-California catalytic converters on it I will usually not test it and tell them that it will fail and the need to get California legal cats or go to the referee and get a label that says the cats are OK. I let the ref tell them when they call that they need a failed test first. Pretty much I let the ref break the news to them and I look like the good guy who was trying to save them money. So far it has worked well.

Re: Send It To The Ref.

SO, I have to admit that I have sent a few to CALL the ref that I knew would be kicked back. When I get a car from out-of-state that has aftermarket non-California catalytic converters on it I will usually not test it and tell them that it will fail and the need to get California legal cats or go to the referee and get a label that says the cats are OK. I let the ref tell them when they call that they need a failed test first. Pretty much I let the ref break the news to them and I look like the good guy who was trying to save them money. So far it has worked well.
yea they want to hear it form the horses mouth, but some customers will just get the ca cat to avoid the time it takes to see the reff around here only one in the county and its only open 2 days a week some others are closed indefinitely

Re: Send It To The Ref.

kfworry
The WHOLE Ref program is as Subjective as techs failing vehicles for CARB EO numbers that have been obliterated or Not able to read because the numbers were scraped off from going over Speed Bumps.

Re: Send It To The Ref.

kfworry
Cat Conv CARB EO's that is

Re: Send It To The Ref.

SO, I have to admit that I have sent a few to CALL the ref that I knew would be kicked back. When I get a car from out-of-state that has aftermarket non-California catalytic converters on it I will usually not test it and tell them that it will fail and the need to get California legal cats or go to the referee and get a label that says the cats are OK. I let the ref tell them when they call that they need a failed test first. Pretty much I let the ref break the news to them and I look like the good guy who was trying to save them money. So far it has worked well.
None, I love this strategy. But it only works less than half of the time around here. My customer base is composed of mostly brainlets that always think I'm trying to fuck them over. So they think im lying to them, then go around looking for that one shop that will pass it. Good thing those shops and techs have dropped out of the industry and customers now find themselves being told to NO!

Re: Send It To The Ref.

FiendFX
No One wrote
none wrote
[...]