Service Tracking

Johnnybeme
Many of us know in advance know whether the vehicle has last been tested by our facility. So with the STAR metric what is to keep us from passing  a known customer (thus bettering FPR) and failing those not previously tested (bettering SVPR)? Maybe this is already being done and affecting the data?

Re: Service Tracking

Karupt
Well, that applies only to 2000 and newer we can precheck for codes or monitors . Since these last FPR numbers came out I have had 3 vehicles fail , that had passed 2 years ago .NOt a very good start to try and up my FPR numbers . One was a 1995, 1993 and one that i forgot to prescan . Monitor not set on that one, the other two were high emmissions readings! But I will start prescanning , putting it on the work order and no charge to customer . Thanks for bringing this up JBM .It is a wise idea .

Re: Service Tracking

 JM, Couple of the young people on this site, and a BUNCH at the BAR NEED TO LEARN. Us old farts have WISDOM.

 99.999999999% of the stuff you put down is 1000% CORRECT.

 A shop. A person. The BAR can play with a person's numbers.

 If you recall one of the first things I put down was, How this was a Can of Worms, and only going to get bigger.

Re: Service Tracking

I am not saying do this, I am saying are we not tempted? I test mostly repeat customers and am very suspicious of all others. But occasionally I see someone from two years ago and I find myself doing homework. I pull up vehicle test history and if it is my last test I look over the vehicle and point out any visual problems before the test. Customer feels that I am doing this for their benefit when actually I am protecting my FPR. Win win. But the question remains is this appropriate procedure?

Re: Service Tracking

BlueSky
Johnnybeme wrote
Karupt

I am not saying do this, I am saying are we not tempted? I test mostly repeat customers and am very suspicious of all others. But occasionally I see someone from two years ago and I find myself doing homework. I pull up vehicle test history and if it is my last test I look over the vehicle and point out any visual problems before the test. Customer feels that I am doing this for their benefit when actually I am protecting my FPR. Win win. But the question remains is this appropriate procedure?

JM
I've never pre-scan a vehicle before I test.  I've also never look at the history to see if my shop did the last test.  I never do a pre-test visual before I test.  If the MIL is on I will test and fail.  My score average over 14 periods is .94.

Re: Service Tracking

Johnnybeme
BlueSky

Have you ever investigated your good fortune? STAR has no semblance of being an accurate evaluation of your abilities. There should be another reason for your consistence high FPR. Maybe you test a very specific demographic or your vehicle pool is limited?

JM

Are there others who have a high FPR and think that this is a reflection of a job well done?

Re: Service Tracking

138541
Johnnybeme wrote
BlueSky

Have you ever investigated your good fortune? STAR has no semblance of being an accurate evaluation of your abilities. There should be another reason for your consistence high FPR. Maybe you test a very specific demographic or your vehicle pool is limited?

JM

Are there others who have a high FPR and think that this is a reflection of a job well done?
We do the same.Test as presented. Fpr has not been a problem for us either.

Re: Service Tracking

I test anything that comes in for a smog, whether old, new, rv's etc. I don't pre scan return customers either and my score is in the .90's I am  high volume and still smog tons of 99 and older, so I think the idea of avoiding old cars for a higher fpr may be a misconception.
From fat to buff. Healthy diet and exercising is not expensive it takes will!

Re: Service Tracking

Johnnybeme
So Bluesky and you have good scores and some of us struggle with FPR, what do you think that means? Do you really think you do a better job?

Re: Service Tracking

dano
Johnnybeme wrote
So Bluesky and you have good scores and some of us struggle with FPR, what do you think that means? Do you really think you do a better job?

JM

There's only one way to settle this.. CO2 paintball pistols at dawn!!! LoL!!!!

Re: Service Tracking

Johnnybeme wrote
So Bluesky and you have good scores and some of us struggle with FPR, what do you think that means? Do you really think you do a better job?

JM
I have no clue. All I do know is that I do not precheck anything except retests. On an initial test I pull it in the shop and run it.
I did see a drop in my FPR when I dropped to 2 days a weeks instead of full time doing smog checks.
I was told by BAR that volume has alot of effect on your FPR.  Been part time tech for a year now and FPR went from .99 to .87
Jan 2018 0.87
Jul 2017 0.87
Jan 2017 0.99
Jul 2016 0.99
Jan 2016 0.99
Jul 2015 0.99
Jan 2015 0.99
Jul 2014 0.99
Jan 2014 0.99
Jul 2013 0.99
Jan 2013 0.98
Jul 2012 0.83
Jan 2012 0.82
Jul 2011 0.92

Re: Service Tracking

Re: Service Tracking

Re: Service Tracking

 A shop. A person. The BAR can play with a person's numbers.

 If you recall one of the first things I put down was, How this was a Can of Worms, and only going to get bigger.
any one else belive the bar is manipulating number to make us look like shit techs?????

Al wrote
We do the same.Test as presented. Fpr has not been a problem for us either.

BlueSky wrote
I've never pre-scan a vehicle before I test.  I've also never look at the history to see if my shop did the last test.  I never do a pre-test visual before I test.  If the MIL is on I will test and fail.  My score average over 14 periods is .94.

so the bar must like you guys and manipulating the numbers in a positive way.

Re: Service Tracking

Jhonny , no I did not say that you do it or I do it . I just said that it is tempting to precheck for monitors . As for the old junkers 1999 and older are hard to predict the outcome . But yes sometimes its good to do our homework .

Re: Service Tracking

Johnnybeme wrote
Many of us know in advance know whether the vehicle has last been tested by our facility. So with the STAR metric what is to keep us from passing  a known customer (thus bettering FPR) and failing those not previously tested (bettering SVPR)? Maybe this is already being done and affecting the data?

JM
fail your customers that ask for an engine light diag no one will notice lol.

Re: Service Tracking

Barry ,hahahhahahha oooooh , yeah that was a dick move but to write it in the VIR is hilarious !
   On the other hand Mr Dickmove just dinged someone's FPR for a subjective visual. When i left the other shop 3 yrs ago , some fails by that same  shop would come here and the visual fails were jacked up ! A crack on the intake ,weepy pcv hose , etc . Pretty damm petty is what i think .