Shady shops

Roger456
So i got a customer in that was unhappy about a previous for good reason. He came to me when my bar 97 machine was down so he went to another shop not to far. The car is a 1997 ford f150 and everything passed except for the visual. the tech wrote and told the customer "intake manifold control bushings bad or worn out." Then proceeded to tell the customer it would pass with about $300 worth of work down.

Customer brings me the same car with out doing anything and it passes just fine. I just cant believe that they would make up something to fail him on. I told the customer to report the shop but is there anything i can do to help?

Re: Shady shops

I have failed a few Windstars for  disconnected IMRC linkages.  They were caused by worn or broken nylon bushings at the arms.  I have probably passed a few of those as well, and I don't know if what I'm saying is applicable to an F-150, but I wouldn't immediately throw another tech under the bus for being stricter than I am on visuals.  Now, if it can be proven that he pulled that fail out of his ass with no evidence at all, then I agree with you.

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: Shady shops

Roger456
There is no such thing as intake manifold control bushings.

Re: Shady shops

Re: Shady shops

Roger456 wrote
There is no such thing as intake manifold control bushings.
http://www.amazon.com/Ford-F5RZ-9F955-AB-BUSH/dp/B000O0H0BI

I've changed intake manifold runner control bushings on a 1997 Ford F150 with 4.2L V6, but it was due to codes.  I charged $270 labor to R&R the plenum and replace the bushings.   It totaled a little over $300.

On that platform, you can't even see the bushing.

Re: Shady shops

Roger456
TVIS opened fine. no noise, no codes, passed on emissions. I was wrong to say there r no such thing but i have never heard or seen these before which i why i thought it was shady. I admit my fault, but still there was no lack of power or torque. i even asked the customer when he takes it on the highway and opens the throttle up if there is any lack of power or anything he notices and he said no.

Re: Shady shops

Karupt
 Well , i wonder what kind of high emmissions some worn intake manifold control bushings would cause ?

Re: Shady shops

Best Answer I Can Give
 Roger, who cares? You just got yourself 3 more customers.
You think the guy who they tried to screw will ever go back to that shop?  Do you think he will praise and tell all his friends about the good deal he got? The next time he needs a test, what shop do you think he will tell them to go to?

 One of the first things I heard and use in my shop, You do bad, 8 people will hear about it. You do good, 3 will.
 So don't worry be happy, that shop just got you more business.
 Sorry to you that I have not offended. Give me time. I will get to you.
Ee

Re: Shady shops

Ee
If the truck was a 6 cylinder it has IMRC set up,  if the plastic bushings crack the linkage falls out and the actuator opens and closes  and never sets a code, but the system doesent work. The only time it sets a code is when it gets stuck open or clossed.  I fail it under other emissions (visual)