Shop WiFi question.

none
Is there a way of running two wireless routers off of one internet connection. I have Cable internet from Wave. I have one box that the cable goes into and an ethernet(?) cable comes out and goes to my wireless box.

I get customers who ask if they can get the password for my wireless internet when they are waiting but since the OIS machines are on it (and my own computer) I never give it out.

I would like to have a guest internet with a simple password and then my own totally secure internet but I don't want to pay for two internet services. Any ideas would be very appreciated.

Re: Shop WiFi question.

Nfa2o
Wrong forum You can iTunesĀ U anything!

Re: Shop WiFi question.

Nfa2o
Meant UTUBE damm autocorrect!

Re: Shop WiFi question.

 None we have it that way. I will get my son to phone you about it if you want. He is not here right now but he did that here.
iha

Re: Shop WiFi question.

iha
The simple but not the only solution is to get a Wireless Router such as the TP Link AC 1750. Replace your wireless router with the AC 1750 which supports a "guest network". Have your shop devices on the default network and let your customers login into the guest network. These networks are on different subnets. In essence two separate wireless networks. I am assuming that the current wireless router does not support a guest network!

Re: Shop WiFi question.

Best Answer I Can Give
I think he has it. I do know I had to buy new stuff to do it. Worse thing is? Right on the wall BIG PRINT WifI guest password. It's right there and they still ASK.

Re: Shop WiFi question.

All you need is a separate router, connect it via ethernet most have apps now you can change passwords easily, kick users out which your gonna wanna do often since multiple people will have logged in over period of time.

This one kind of fancy but any router will do. It will have a separate wifi name and password your main router will be separate and not effect your speed

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-ac1750-dual-band-wi-fi-router-black/9054017.p?skuId=9054017

At home i have main router then one of these routers older model and also a wifi extender. I basically have 3 different wifi to logg in to depending on where in the house im at.
Set up takes 30 min after that you wont ever need to touch them. I needed the extender to make the wifi reach my garage, extender goes half way of your wifi dead zone.
You should be fine with just a router unless you get a combo pack router and separate extender.
Your a nice guy offering customers free wifi

Re: Shop WiFi question.

Is there a way of running two wireless routers off of one internet connection. I have Cable internet from Wave. I have one box that the cable goes into and an ethernet(?) cable comes out and goes to my wireless box.
I have a Linksys wrt54g that I flashed with DD-WRT firmware, and created my own private guest network.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

http://www.alexlaird.com/2013/03/dd-wrt-guest-wireless/

You could always buy a new router that would support a secure isolated network.  That probably would set you back some bucks though.

You could always hook one of these into your router's ethernet port.  It would have it's own password,  but it gives access to the internet AND your network.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZWOQZ6

It's like $18.

Re: Shop WiFi question.

none
WHOA. That was a lot of information. IHA'S solution sounds easiest and the TP Link AC 1750 is $85 on Amazon. If that is pretty much plug and play it would be worth the time it saves to me. I have a LYNKSYS WRT160N now and was checking if I can add a guest network but I think that might be more involved than I can do without spending too much time learning it. To be honest I think most people have data on their phones but I still get asked fairly often.

Thank you guys for all the help. I will look further into this with the information you guys provided.

Re: Shop WiFi question.

 I have a LYNKSYS WRT160N now and was checking if I can add a guest network but I think that might be more involved than I can do without spending too much time learning it.
This page might help.

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=135384

Re: Shop WiFi question.

Remember,all of their Internet activity will be your activity no matter how many routers you nave.
Charity begins at work

Re: Shop WiFi question.

locopoco
I use this TP Link AC 1750 router at home which was mentioned and it has the guest Wifi function that you're looking for.Easy to setup and very good router.

Re: Shop WiFi question.

tampered wrote
Remember,all of their Internet activity will be your activity no matter how many routers you nave.
Absolutely correct.   Apparently, I had a customer download music from a file sharing site.   I got a call from my ISP, and asked if I downloaded a certain song, and I had no idea what they were talking about.  I download my music from Youtube.

One cable coming in, one IP address.

Re: Shop WiFi question.

Best Answer I Can Give
 Has always made me wonder, Could because of one IP Could the boys show up looking for who down loaded the ???? Porn?
 Could you fuck some one up by registering a computer under their name and them do a down l  oad at their shop.

 How much are we opening up the shop to being a nice guy? Just something (After the mess we are going thru now) to think about.

Re: Shop WiFi question.

Has always made me wonder, Could because of one IP Could the boys show up looking for who down loaded the ???? Porn?
If some person downloaded a file through your network, like from a phone that was connected to your free wifi, it will be as if you had downloaded the file yourself.

 Could you fuck some one up by registering a computer under their name and them do a down l  oad at their shop.
I don't know about registering a computer, but yeah, you could screw someone up by downloading a bootleg MP3 if you could connect to their wifi.

Re: Shop WiFi question.

Thanks SCANNER. That helps a lot. I hope my post didn't sound like I was too lazy to look into it and wanted someone to give me the silver bullet answer on their time. Thanks for all the help though.

When I first started here I had my wireless internet without a password and had a guy use my parking lot as his office. I asked him to leave my crowded parking lot and he drove around the block and came back. I then unplugged my router and told him loudly to leave.

Re: Shop WiFi question.

smwalker
There any particular reason you run the OIS on wifi?  I tried it for a while, too slow.  Ran a line to machine, much better.

Re: Shop WiFi question.

none
I have two OIS machines. One APPLUS running wireless and one DREW with a line to it. The APPLUS is faster. My wireless internet has never been slow and when I beta tested the W/W OIS machine their tech said it was a very fast connection.