Shortage of techs?

WealdstoneRaider
Anyone having trouble finding smog techs? Or perhaps they're counting on the $600 to be extended and waiting it out? I guess it's a good thing if there's a shortage, a nice compensation than ever before to keep them retained.
want sm'ting I'll give it to ya

Re: Shortage of techs?

Kevin
Finding good technicians is difficult

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020, 12:03 PM WealdstoneRaider [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Anyone having trouble finding smog techs? Or perhaps they're counting on the $600 to be extended and waiting it out? I guess it's a good thing if there's a shortage, a nice compensation than ever before to keep them retained.
want sm'ting I'll give it to ya

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Shortage-of-techs-tp5081596.html

Re: Shortage of techs?

xcinlb
Make sure to send paperwork to EDD that you offered position to employee. That will prevent them from getting benefits is the position is available.

Re: Shortage of techs?

BayAreaSmogTech
WealdstoneRaider wrote
Anyone having trouble finding smog techs? Or perhaps they're counting on the $600 to be extended and waiting it out? I guess it's a good thing if there's a shortage, a nice compensation than ever before to keep them retained.

There's always been a shortage of good techs in this industry. Now even more so as wages haven't kept up with the cost of living. Good techs are leaving the field for other cushier fields (electrical, hvac ) and finding city jobs because they can afford to pay full benefits.

Re: Shortage of techs?

WealdstoneRaider

There's always been a shortage of good techs in this industry. Now even more so as wages haven't kept up with the cost of living. Good techs are leaving the field for other cushier fields (electrical, hvac ) and finding city jobs because they can afford to pay full benefits.

Agreed. I've been employed at my current shop for 5+ years and make a pretty good living but I always have indeed email me open smog positions as a ''just in case". I'm in a small town in socal and  surprised to see some of the salaries posted on Indeed by the shops  are not great especially for higher cost of living areas such as the bay area. No wonder techs just open their own shops instead.
want sm'ting I'll give it to ya

Re: Shortage of techs?

none
There is a real shortage of good repair techs too. The wages will have to go way up to draw younger people into the automotive career.

Re: Shortage of techs?

There is a real shortage of good repair techs too. The wages will have to go way up to draw younger people into the automotive career.
Word. I've been eyeing smog repair tech positions for years around me but the wages are meh and I make about the same at the TO I'm in and not having to wrench. I do want to go back to repair eventually.
Exercise and dividends,dividends, DIVIDENDS.

Re: Shortage of techs?

Technician A
Young people are not too interested in cars anymore. Without interest in cars, not many people will even think about being a mechanic. Cars have taken a backseat to the internet and all its contents.

The first step for many mechanics was to have fun working on their own vehicle. Then second step was to get paid doing something they like by being a professional mechanic. Third step is get burnt out after a few years and pay another mechanic to work on their personal vehicles.

Re: Shortage of techs?

none
Technician A wrote
Young people are not too interested in cars anymore. Without interest in cars, not many people will even think about being a mechanic. Cars have taken a backseat to the internet and all its contents.

The first step for many mechanics was to have fun working on their own vehicle. Then second step was to get paid doing something they like by being a professional mechanic. Third step is get burnt out after a few years and pay another mechanic to work on their personal vehicles.
I don't think that is completely true. It might be different because I live in the foothills but I see young kids building off road trucks that are way beyond what my friends and I fabbed up at that age.

I do get it that you don't NEED to know how to work on cars anymore because they don't need the attention that they did forty years ago and you can't twist-and-tweek on them like you used to.

I also blame my generation for not taking the time with their kids to show them how to work on cars or ride dirt bike or hunt and fish or go tent camping, all things that are going away.

Re: Shortage of techs?

smoggee
The auto industry workforce is being pilfered by all the HVAC/Solar installation companies you hear on the radio advertising their furnace clean-out services, etc.  They've found that auto techs already have a lot of the skills to make good HVAC/Solar techs and techs like that they don't have to get dirty.

The industry will have to pay more to get and keep decent people.

Never attribute to conspiracy that which can be explained by incompetence

Re: Shortage of techs?

Knitpickens
So true .....