Since when is a 2004 considered OBD1?

Citation Addict
I went by the model year, 2004 Ford F-350 Desiel crew cab truck. It went through OIS and failed for EGR monitor incomplete. Customer comes back saying the vehicle was OBD1. I told him if he has a problem with how the vehicle was tested go to the referee.

The other part to this is the book indicates CA/FED as being the same. He said its FED and the information I put is wrong.

So whats correct?

Re: Since when is a 2004 considered OBD1?

Smogtech
 ois failed it, no worry about it.  It stated 98 and newer diesel must done with ois, 14k and up are not required to test at ours smog station.

Re: Since when is a 2004 considered OBD1?

If it's OBD1 then send it to the REFEREE.

Re: Since when is a 2004 considered OBD1?

scanner
FiendFX wrote
If it's OBD1 then send it to the REFEREE.
You test it on OIS.  If the vehicle is greater than 8500 GVWR, and is Federal certified, it's OBDI.   It gets a visual, and a snap test, and you're done.

Re: Since when is a 2004 considered OBD1?

IF it was federal, then it wasn't OBD II and did you get the pop up window "Unable to confirm this vehicles OBD II requirements. Does this vehicle have OBD II?"?
If you click NO on a Diesel it will just bypass that and continue. On GAS OBD 1 it will have you test it on BAR97.

(edited out my station info, not that it really matters.)

Re: Since when is a 2004 considered OBD1?

I don't understand why they couldn't program the OIS to figure out these things based on how many Monitors it sees, or it could pop up a window with monitor display and ask you if it looked Federal.

It can't catch modified ECUs with the EVAP deleted, how is it any better than having the techs check the monitors themselves?

Re: Since when is a 2004 considered OBD1?

CITATION ADDICT, I would like to ad something. I WOULD HAVE FAILED IT TOO. A FEDERAL 6.0L will run the EGR monitor but if he has a programmer it will keep the EGR from operating and disable the monitor from running so it will never complete. I have also noticed that when monitors are cleared on these the EGR is the last to run and these trucks love to throw expensive codes like turbo boost.

The pop up window I showed above is one I printed when I did a V10 gas Ford and ended up running it on BAR97. If you look at the 2015 OBDII reference they seem to have adjusted OIS to work with these trucks that aren't fully OBD-II compliant. I personally just hit yes and continue.