Smog Union ALLDATA Powered HELP Desk

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

great idea D! the more resources we have the better . but if anybody with the name of Macktruckin asks for an answer ,  he already knows it all . that is my exemployer .

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

Do you guys do deliveries?

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

If you need it, we are here to serve.

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

FiendFX
I will promise to tip you well :)

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

FiendFX
I figure most would be those.. Probably next one would be where is the EGR for diesels.

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

What did you decide on the Vanagon? I know some people who test them and some who don't. I know it isn't a ding for not doing it but oddly neither is timing on those and they are all adjustable, 1.9L and 2.1L. Though there are at least three different methods.

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

none
The Motor book, factory VW book(Bentley) and all data show how to adjust them. 2.1L disconnect the coolant temp sensor and 1.9L bypass the idle stabilizer(green box driver-side of engine bay). They are totally adjustable. The part I hate is when you hook the idle stabilizer back up and the car won't start. They were horrible for bad contacts. Just for the record the engine label says "no adjustment required" not "not adjustable".

I worked on European cars for years at a shop that the owner was really into Vanagon Westphalia waterboxers. These cars are really bad about evap leaks at the top of the tank too but there are really so few around and the ones that are out get driven so little that I don't think there is any real impact to the air.

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

Vanagons are definitely adjustable. 5 degress AFTER TDC. Disconnect CTS, it will emit black smoke.

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

Years ago, we had a used-car sales gent of Middle-Eastern persuasion who was completely addicted to water-boxer vans.  Thankfully, he either went out of business or moved on to terrorize another shop some time back.  I totally remember the idle stabilizer issues with those turds, but at least I was able to pass off all the coolant and oil leak concerns to the regular mechanic.  He wasn't amused, though.

I was also told by some old-timer many years ago that the old air-cooled buses had a built-in rev limiter ... the tailpipe.

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

none
barrym95838 wrote
Years ago, we had a used-car sales gent of Middle-Eastern persuasion ...

barrym95838
EO/EI144107
Is this some April fools joke? I've never heard of such a thing.

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

none
By the way D I have to apologize. I have totally jacked and derailed your thread.

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk