Smog Union ALLDATA Powered HELP Desk

The number is (510) 517-1985

smogunionca.gmail.com

Tech D will gladly assist you free of charge whether you are a member or not.

Please text first, we are usually smogging like you.

Ask anything, don't be mad if we tell you to read the book.

If you can setup a webcam or take pictures it will greatly help.

Please stop failing vehicles erroneously!

זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

great idea D! the more resources we have the better . but if anybody with the name of Macktruckin asks for an answer ,  he already knows it all . that is my exemployer .

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

Do you guys do deliveries?

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

If you need it, we are here to serve.

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

FiendFX
I will promise to tip you well :)

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

D, did you get my e-mail from March 6th?

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

D Rochells 150861
Yeah, forgot to thank you, I saw that first thing in the morning and failed everything that day.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

Got my first $100 tip this weekend, expectations are high.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

D Rochells 150861
So far helped three techs,
PCV location on 2006 2.3 Ranger and
PCV location on 2004 5.7 Ram,
And whether to do EVAP on Vanagon
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

FiendFX
I figure most would be those.. Probably next one would be where is the EGR for diesels.

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

D Rochells 150861
Funny thing is I didn't know the PCV locations off the top of my head and I managed to find them in about 5-10 minutes with Google. Mostly because I had looked before and knew the answers where there, I really want to get ALLDATA to back up my answers, I'm back to 40 hours next week I think I can afford it.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

What did you decide on the Vanagon? I know some people who test them and some who don't. I know it isn't a ding for not doing it but oddly neither is timing on those and they are all adjustable, 1.9L and 2.1L. Though there are at least three different methods.

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

D Rochells 150861
My personal opinion is NA because the red adaptor is not an exact fit, same with many German cars. Some guys stack the seal rings to make it seal, I crawled under one once and pinched right at the can and could not get a consistent seal.

We don't get dinged so whatever. The timing we put NA, even the VW shops say that the label is correct and the timing will not move with the dizzy. I have never personally tried to adjust one. I tried a 88 Mbenz with the non adj system once, that crap just kept moving back, was hilarious. Tech had failed it.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

none
The Motor book, factory VW book(Bentley) and all data show how to adjust them. 2.1L disconnect the coolant temp sensor and 1.9L bypass the idle stabilizer(green box driver-side of engine bay). They are totally adjustable. The part I hate is when you hook the idle stabilizer back up and the car won't start. They were horrible for bad contacts. Just for the record the engine label says "no adjustment required" not "not adjustable".

I worked on European cars for years at a shop that the owner was really into Vanagon Westphalia waterboxers. These cars are really bad about evap leaks at the top of the tank too but there are really so few around and the ones that are out get driven so little that I don't think there is any real impact to the air.

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

Vanagons are definitely adjustable. 5 degress AFTER TDC. Disconnect CTS, it will emit black smoke.

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

D Rochells 150861
I would love to check them but since 95% of the other techs don't, it just saves time. You guys need to remember this is Berkeley, home of Bus Lab, people making a living off of $10k Subie swaps. Almost every Vanagon still breathing is here, or planning on moving here.

If I win the lottery, I will buy them all and BURN THEM ALL!
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

Years ago, we had a used-car sales gent of Middle-Eastern persuasion who was completely addicted to water-boxer vans.  Thankfully, he either went out of business or moved on to terrorize another shop some time back.  I totally remember the idle stabilizer issues with those turds, but at least I was able to pass off all the coolant and oil leak concerns to the regular mechanic.  He wasn't amused, though.

I was also told by some old-timer many years ago that the old air-cooled buses had a built-in rev limiter ... the tailpipe.

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

none
barrym95838 wrote
Years ago, we had a used-car sales gent of Middle-Eastern persuasion ...

barrym95838
EO/EI144107
Is this some April fools joke? I've never heard of such a thing.

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

none
By the way D I have to apologize. I have totally jacked and derailed your thread.

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

D Rochells 150861
It's ok, you're a bear, what can I do? Besides, I don't there has ever been a thread that wasn't derailed, I even derail my own threads, and the mod is up in here too.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!