Smog Union ALLDATA Powered HELP Desk

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

The phone line is down for today, so post questions here for now or email to:

rfneimad@gmail.com

Also, we now have access to service repair data and pictures of most vehicles, so feel free to ask anything.

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

none
D wrote
 so feel free to ask anything.
ANYTHING? OK. How do you do a functional EGR test on a 1995 Dodge Ram 3500 V10?

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

RICHARDCRANIUM
As per B.A.R. instructions, follow manufacturer procedures!
Shop owner 17 Years, 30+ year Smog Technician.
Inspector and repair Tech. I began in the BAR 84 platform.
Been current ever since. Momma said I hit my head a lot as a kid!

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

none
By that answer it sounds like I'm not the only one who doesn't know.

It was kind of a trick question because I don't think there is a real answer.

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

I have been thinking about this for a long time,

32* EGR system failure An open or shorted condition detected in the EGR solenoid
Required change in fuel/air ratio not detected during diagnostic test.

Drive it under EGR enabling criteria, no codes, it's fine. You can backprobe pin 35 of the PCM if you want to see the signal.

But if you want it to stumble, cut the wire at pin 35 which will kill the solenoid which controls the transducer and the EGR will be open all the time and cause it to run different. I gotta look through the diagram and see if there is a better place to unhook it.

"The PCM controls vacuum to transducer by providing solenoid ground. When the solenoid is energized, no vacuum reaches transducer. When the solenoid is de-energized, vacuum allowed to reach transducer.

The solenoid is energized (no vacuum to transducer), during engine warm-up, during Wide Open Throttle (WOT) , during rapid acceleration/deceleration, or when the engine is at idle.

NOTE: If wiring is disconnected from solenoid EGR valve will operate at all times, affecting engine idle and performance."

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

pictures of dodge egr locations on diesels would be nice.

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

Almost all diesel EGR's have a giant watercooler that is pretty hard to miss. And if you google diesel EGR you will find a forum with people showing how to delete them with a lot of pics.

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

Z,

Look at the back of the MOTOR ECS book. It has all the pictures.

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

thanks forgot about the part of the book.

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

Just the Facts

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

FiendFX
I see Tech's Reference all the time, but never used it. Now I learn how to use it.

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

It is useful, but like the MOTOR book it thinks MINI's have AIR.

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

Hey, I have a towed-in 1987 Acura Integra with no power to the Yellow/White B+ wire at the main relay terminal #1.  The diagram I have suggests that it's fed by Fuse #21, but I can't find that mutherphukkin fuse anywhere.  I ran a jumper wire so I don't have to push it around, but I'd like to get it fixed correctly before I call it done.  Any ideas?

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

I shall investigate as soon as reinforcements arrive and I can get to the ALLDATA terminal.

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

My diagram shows Fuse #4, I think, theres 4 fuses there but only 3 numbers?

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

JTF saw my post yesterday and called me last night to turn me on to AllData's "Library Request" feature.  I used it this morning, and had a personalized response in less than two hours.

Fuse #21 is in an auxiliary fuse carrier directly below the main under-dash fuse box.  I got bitten by an old adversary ... I checked and verified all of the installed fuses were fine, but I didn't check for UNINSTALLED FUSES!!!

Thanks to D, AllData and JTF.  Now I can gross-pollute this beat-up, tweaked-out POS with a clear conscience ...

Re: Smog Union Text Help Desk

Wow, has it been more than a month already?  The Integra is still here, on the back burner out in the yard.  The vehicle owner and the shop owner don't seem to be in much of a hurry for it to be done, but I'd like to bounce a symptom off of your brains.  It passed emissions at 15 MPH but GPd for CO at 25 MPH.  It doesn't idle very well, and the CO is way up there as well.  The PCM is very primitive, and doesn't offer live data, but it will set a Code "1" if you run it long enough.  I removed the passenger seat and verified powers and grounds.  I monitored the O2 signal under various conditions, and it's usually pegged above 0.9V.  The only time I can see anything approaching fuel control is during ASM5015, when I can see some decent cross counts.  The fuel pressure and coolant temperature appear normal and the fuel pressure regulator is not leaking into the intake.  The engine oil is a bit fuel-logged, but removing the PCV valve from the crankcase has no effect.  All four spark plugs are black.  The cam timing and ignition timing are correct.  The compression seems to be okay, and it usually hits on all four.

Out of spec. PCM or injectors?  The MAP, CTS, and TPS readings seem to be in the correct ballpark on my Vantage Pro, but I don't have a known-good for a side-by-side comparison, so I'm running out of options ...