Smog on 2020 Civic with 2 OBD Ports Is This Legal

Smog on 2020 Civic with 2 OBD Ports Is This Legal

BlueSky
This is the first 2020 Civic I've tested.  Does the hook up look legal.  Customer purchased new and says it's all stock.  Just came from Tennessee to register in Caif.

Re: Smog on 2020 Civic with 2 OBD Ports Is This Legal

none
My guess is the car isn't paid off and there is a tracker connected between the two... But that's just a guess.

Re: Smog on 2020 Civic with 2 OBD Ports Is This Legal

BlueSky
none wrote
My guess is the car isn't paid off and there is a tracker connected between the two... But that's just a guess.
Thanks None.
I told the customer to go to the dealer.  Not knowing where and to what those wires go to I decided to punt on this one.

Re: Smog on 2020 Civic with 2 OBD Ports Is This Legal

Evil Morty
did you check both ports with a scanner
This seems like a good time for a drink and a cold, calculated speech with sinister overtones.

Re: Smog on 2020 Civic with 2 OBD Ports Is This Legal

My guess is the car isn't paid off and there is a tracker connected between the two... But that's just a guess.
i see that more on used car dealers they use either obd power or direct power under the hood, the finance companies require it for at risk customers. easy to repo for them

Re: Smog on 2020 Civic with 2 OBD Ports Is This Legal

smog frogposter
Had this set up on a Diesel before, except this one had three OBDII ports for who knows why. The biggest concern is whether or not you are actually tapping into the vehicle's ECM or an Emulator attempting to bypass emission controls. When in doubt, ship it to the Ref. Always question everything.

Re: Smog on 2020 Civic with 2 OBD Ports Is This Legal

none
smog frogposter wrote
Did it have AMP fold out steps?

Re: Smog on 2020 Civic with 2 OBD Ports Is This Legal

smog frogposter wrote
Had this set up on a Diesel before, except this one had three OBDII ports for who knows why. The biggest concern is whether or not you are actually tapping into the vehicle's ECM or an Emulator attempting to bypass emission controls. When in doubt, ship it to the Ref. Always question everything.
its not that deep i just unplug and only connect to the oem obd port, some of the runner boards also use an obd splitter for power. why would you plug into and aftermarket obd port.

also the reff wouldnt do anything for the customer in this situation with out a Failed smog inspection. your sending the customer in circles. he will end up going to another shop who will unplug and probably check monitors before running the inspection. in the end you wont see them again

Re: Smog on 2020 Civic with 2 OBD Ports Is This Legal

I always just unplug  and connect to check monitors and then test.

Re: Smog on 2020 Civic with 2 OBD Ports Is This Legal

BlueSky
smog frogposter wrote
Had this set up on a Diesel before, except this one had three OBDII ports for who knows why. The biggest concern is whether or not you are actually tapping into the vehicle's ECM or an Emulator attempting to bypass emission controls. When in doubt, ship it to the Ref. Always question everything.
Did it have AMP fold out steps?
No fold out steps.
You can see a red and a black wire that plugs into a black connector, I have no idea where those wires went to.
I never tried to unplug the OBD plug from what appears to be the original DLC connector and check with a scanner.
I told the customer that I would check with the local Honda Dealer to see if they knew what this was.  They had no clue, the smog tech at Honda said he has never seen that setup on any 2020 Honda Civics before.
When I tried calling the customer back I got an operator message to check the number and please dial again.
I'll check the vehicle history tomorrow to see if anybody smogged it today.

Re: Smog on 2020 Civic with 2 OBD Ports Is This Legal

Technician A
I think it is just to tap into power and ground without splicing. I seen something similar recently. Told the guy if he unplugs it and it runs, then I will perform the smog check. It passed.

Re: Smog on 2020 Civic with 2 OBD Ports Is This Legal

BasicTech678
Here is a gps harness it has a male and female obd port. The male end connects to oem port then female is now a functioning obd port. Two wires red and black split off male aftermarket obd port giving power to the gps locating device. The gps device works off a cellular type network which provide vehicle location. Dealers can view on an app. You can just unplugg and run it to be safe and not have to worry about interference.

Re: Smog on 2020 Civic with 2 OBD Ports Is This Legal

scanner
BasicTech678 wrote
Here is a gps harness it has a male and female obd port.
Whenever you see all of the pins populated, it's a pass thru cable.  I snagged one that was just hanging under the dash.  I use it when the DAD doesn't quite connect properly to the factory DLC.

That's it.  The customer hasn't returned to me and vehicle still hasn't been smog certified.  I will try to get them back here again to test now that it have more info.  Thanks

I removed the GPS tracking system and smogged the vehicle today.

Re: Smog on 2020 Civic with 2 OBD Ports Is This Legal

BasicTech678

the finance company most likely requested  they might be getting some phone calls soon about it the dealers use the imei number to keep track of the vehicle customer must have low to bad credit aka at risk customer