Smog techs nitpicking cars

Lili

This is mostly from a shop owners' view regarding smog techs nitpicking and prescreening cars..
If you are shop owner what's your opinion on these action??

Refuse to test cars with evap not ready.
Refuse to test cars with pending codes.
Refuse to test 95 and older cars.
Getting in some kind of argument with customer and then refusing to smog their car.

When these things happen often regular customers don't really come back. What's your take on these situation?

Re: Smog techs nitpicking cars

scanner
Lili wrote
This is mostly from a shop owners' view regarding smog techs nitpicking and prescreening cars..
If you are shop owner what's your opinion on these action??

Refuse to test cars with evap not ready.
Refuse to test cars with pending codes.
Refuse to test 95 and older cars.

When these things happen often regular customers don't really come back. What's your take on these situation?
As the owner of the station, you set the rules.  The techs don't tell you how to run your business.   Do you have customers setting your prices too?

If your current tech doesn't like how you run the business then replace him with another tech.

Getting in some kind of argument with customer and then refusing to smog their car.
The tech's job is to inspect the vehicle.   It's you or your service writer's responsibility to speak with the customer.  Why are you letting the tech speak with the customer?   Why are you letting the customer near the test area?

Re: Smog techs nitpicking cars

2002
According to the 1st amendment I have the right to refuse any vehicle. It's my shop. I make the rules.

Like scanner said, if you're the employee you better smog the cars your boss tells you to or else look for another job.

Re: Smog techs nitpicking cars

scanner
2002 wrote
According to the 1st amendment I have the right to refuse any vehicle. It's my shop. I make the rules.
Right?  Especially if it's a Safety or Health issue.   You have to protect yourself and your employees.

Like scanner said, if you're the employee you better smog the cars your boss tells you to or else look for another job.
Fu#k'en eh!  Excuse my Canadian.....

Fire em.

Re: Smog techs nitpicking cars

Lili
Yes Let them go I have to but it's pretty hard to find techs.

Nobody needs to work it looks like.

At the beginning everything seems normal but little dramas start to appear.

I am smog tech also so I can do the job my self but for non tech owners it maybe tough.

I can only image what kind of things go on when only a smog tech operates the shop....

Maybe profit sharing works better if not the tech can careless about how many smogs that walk out the door.

Re: Smog techs nitpicking cars

As a shop owner and tech I had to put up with having an nitpicky employee due to the star program. If you're going to want the tech to smog everything that comes in with no regard for their star score, you better let them know that you are going to stand with them and fight for them when their score hits a zero. I know plenty of friends/techs that got let go because their bosses did not stand with them when they hit .00

Re: Smog techs nitpicking cars

I am going to address each one separately and even then it depends on the situation.
Lili wrote
Refuse to test cars with evap not ready.
If it is a retest I probably won't test it either unless I know it was something not related to evap that it was cleared for. On an initial test I would test it most likely.
Lili wrote
Refuse to test cars with pending codes.
This is a major red flag and anyone who cares about their STAR score should at least look close at what the pending code is for. I would likely boot it unless it is missfire codes after the engine was cleaned or something like that.
Lili wrote
Refuse to test 95 and older cars.
I don't get that. That is part of the job. If it is a van with the engine cover off anf it is 105 on a July afternoon I might not though.
Lili wrote
Getting in some kind of argument with customer and then refusing to smog their car.
That depends too. I don't believe "the customer is always right" and some people are just jerks. I have told a few people to leave over the years.
Lili wrote
When these things happen often regular customers don't really come back.
If they happen often it is an issue but it could be the type of customer too.

I also agree with what NO ONE posted. If you don't have a smog license yourself you are at their mercy. If you are not respecting THEIR star score don't expect them to respect you. On the other hand, if they are just a whinny drama queen, get rid of them.

Re: Smog techs nitpicking cars

Lili wrote
Refuse to test 95 and older cars.

Around here most shops refuse to test 95 and older because they fear it will affect their star score. I get customers that bounce from smog shop to smog shop and always with the same story. They left their cars at a shop and spent over a thousand of dollars in repairs to get it to pass and then fail on the next cycle for the same thing. These customers are fpr killers. What I do is look at the test history of the car and then go from there. If the car has too many back to back fails and the customer looks like a headache, I punt.

Re: Smog techs nitpicking cars

TheSmogDog
I nitpick a bit but its mostly cars i KNOW will fail or i simply cant do at my shop due to size and my setup (certain RVs, really low cars, etc.)
What i cant stand is the shops in my town that fails cars for check engine lights or not ready and REFUSES TO DO RETESTS. Such a scumbag move. And then I have to retest and pass the car which is mostly likely hurting my FPR but it just doesnt seem right to turn people away.
As for the 95 and older cars very few shops in my area test them.. We get a lot of really clean 95 and olders in and a good portion of the time they pass. I dont see the point in not doing them really if they are clean and testable

Re: Smog techs nitpicking cars

No One
TheSmogDog wrote
What i cant stand is the shops in my town that fails cars for check engine lights or not ready and REFUSES TO DO RETESTS. Such a scumbag move. And then I have to retest and pass the car which is mostly likely hurting my FPR but it just doesnt seem right to turn people away.
It wont hurt your fpr as along as you are doing with all monitors complete and no pending codes. Remember that code clearing is considered forcing a malfunctioning car to pass and will affect fpr. I usually note the repair on the comment section of the ois for cars that fail at other shops and come to my shop after.

Re: Smog techs nitpicking cars

TheSmogDog
Oh good info. Thanks

Re: Smog techs nitpicking cars

I am a shop owner and a licensed inspector,

* from the tech point of view there concerned about their score or the lack of information on the pre 1995 vehicles ,also if there young the car may be older than them so they have no practical experience with the technology.

* from a business owner point of view there looking at an employee who is costing them wages & then refusing the vehicle which in turn does not produce revenue, which covers there wages.

* employers can't force a technician to inspect a vehicle, as the legal side of thing allows a lot for technician discretion but what the business owner can do is find a more like minded employee who is willing to do things there way

On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 10:10 PM Lili [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:

This is mostly from a shop owners' view regarding smog techs nitpicking and prescreening cars..
If you are shop owner what's your opinion on these action??

Refuse to test cars with evap not ready.
Refuse to test cars with pending codes.
Refuse to test 95 and older cars.
Getting in some kind of argument with customer and then refusing to smog their car.

When these things happen often regular customers don't really come back. What's your take on these situation?

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Smog-techs-nitpicking-cars-tp5083349.html

Kevin Casillas

Re: Smog techs nitpicking cars

Lili
Do you know what my previous techs tell me or do when they don't want to smog particular car.

They wait for a long time and do not start the test. The customer waits and waits and wonder what's going on.
Later some drama breaks out.

Reason:

Montiors not all complete.
Failed before
pending code
Don't like the customer
Feel not respected
lazy or TR#%$# in the head.

Either the customer go or I have to take over the driver's seat.

Common Words from the tech:

You do it then  or it's your customer not mine.

I am paying the techs few grands a month for them to come and watch and I am running around taking care the mess... no thank you.

People are crazy now days I tell you.

Re: Smog techs nitpicking cars

WealdstoneRaider
This post was updated on .
I run a shop for an absentee owner, a very high volume shop. He doesn't have any automotive knowledge so you can say he's at my mercy but I respect his business and do everything as if it was my own since he doesn't micromanage me ( last time he visited was 2 years ago) As long as we stay busy and online reviews are good  all is well. I test the majority that come in and fpr has been in the .90's for years now, so I'm not one of those that get scared thinking my score will drop when a turd comes in. The only few I reject are the one's I feel are going to give me a hard time if their vehicle fails and not want to pay (trying to avoid bad reviews) or if a bar 97 vehicle shows up 5 minutes to closing and tell him too late come some other time. He hasn't been so lucky at a few of his other places though he has a few techs that nitpick too with not so good fpr's to begin with.
want sm'ting I'll give it to ya

Re: Smog techs nitpicking cars

No One
WealdstoneRaider wrote
[...]
I think high volume shops don't have to worry about their score compared to a low volume shop. I average
4-10 a day. If half or more of the cars i smog have evap incomplete with pending codes, then i should worry about fpr.