SmogNearMe.com - The Uber Of Smog Station Locations > GPS Based Station Locator

1234 ... 7

SmogNearMe.com - The Uber Of Smog Station Locations > GPS Based Station Locator

Ed L

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

From: https://cheapsmogtest.com/smog-station-owner-benefits/
Duel [sic] Pricing Display For Smog Test Only & Star Certified Tests.
How many shops do it this way?  We (often, but not always) charge extra for trucks, more extra for 95-and-older, more extra for RWD vans, and more extra for heavy duty, but we never alter our price for STAR/non-STAR, AFAIK.

Is it because we aren't currently in a pricing "duel" with anyone, or is it just because less than half of our customers show up with their renewal forms?

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Ed L
CST focus is on the consumer market for regular vehicles. Stations can list both Test Only & Star pricing. Trucks, commercial vans expect surcharges. The 80/20 rule. Designed to serve the mass market.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Best Answer I Can Give
 Is this guy a Tech. or is he trying to sell us something?

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Ed L
CST are not smog technicians. However, we are software technicians serving the smog industry. Our service is free for owner technicians to list their services if there are no other stations listed within 5 miles.

As most forum members are technically minded. Below, the technical aspect of our service.

1. Our algorithm indexes smog stations by distance (not price) using geo based locations services. (i.e. closest to a drivers location).
2. Our benefit relative to Google. Googles algorithm favors paid advertisers. Charging expensive click rates. Leaving non-advertisers or those with low budgets firmly listed deep within search results. (fact: drivers do not dive any deeper than 2-3 results displayed.

Our Ultimate Benefits:
1. A listed station is guaranteed to show in listing priority relative to the drivers location.
2. Each station receives a dedicated listing page which also indexes separately into the search engines. (i.e. Increasing organic search results (X200%)
3. With station listing volume. Stations are essentially pooling resources to collectively index CST as the top organic search resource. Thus, negating the need for independent advertising efforts while still presenting in top search results when it matters...to drivers requiring smog checks nearby.

Hope this helps expand our relevancy to the industry forum. Our topic is intended for owner/ manager technicians and technicians who may present our service to their owners toward increasing smog revenue.

Pricing
Again, first to list within 5 miles of the nearest listing, lists for free.

Distance to the nearest listed station can easily be verified here.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

BayAreaSmogTech
At the low cost of zero dollars I was able to register my station. Looks like anyone else wanting to register within 5 miles of me will have to shell out $29 a month.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

I went to register but I too am unable to advertise on your site because the pricing table doesn't conform to BAR rules. If I advertise a price for OIS smog checks (2000 and newer) I must state that the price is only for 2000 and newer vehicles. Dyno and non-dyno(TSI) is not the same as STAR and non-STAR or BASIC and ENHANCED.

Your pricing asks me whether it is "DYNO" or "REGULAR SMOG"  There needs to be a place to state what price we are advertising or we would have to honor a 1978 Chevy motor home for that price. You also are NOT allowed to advertise the price of the cert included. You MUST state the price plus certificate. You can give a total out the door price after you have given the break down though. If I'm wrong on any of this I hope someone jumps in to let me know.

For me it would be "most cars & light trucks 2000 and newer +$8.25 cert" after my price.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

none

<b>The price of a Smog Check certificate shall be posted separately from the price of the
inspection and re-inspection, if any.  Note: Customers shall be charged the same price for certificates as that paid by the station.  Sales tax does not apply to the sale of the certificate.
CCR § 3340.15, § 3340.35

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Ed L
Hello,

Thank you for your input & valid concerns. As you will see, we do post all pricing includes all applicable certificate fees and applicable taxes. Being a reference directory vs. providing smog services. We simply provide what drivers want. Final pricing and nearest service provider. With that said, with our model gaining great momentum with thanks to all of those station owners who have registered. We are working on the platform so it will display the structure of the final price displayed.

Hope this helps.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Ed L
Thank you for registering.

When we reach 15% capacity of stations available per State. Correct, a $29.95 monthly fee will apply for stations within 5 miles of any other previously listed location.

However, until that benchmark is achieved. All stations list 100% free of charge and remain exempt from future directly listing charges.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Ed L wrote
Hello,

Thank you for your input & valid concerns. As you will see, we do post all pricing includes all applicable certificate fees and applicable taxes. Being a reference directory vs. providing smog services. We simply provide what drivers want. Final pricing and nearest service provider. With that said, with our model gaining great momentum with thanks to all of those station owners who have registered. We are working on the platform so it will display the structure of the final price displayed.

Hope this helps.
I agree with you that the customer wants to know the "out-the-door-price" not some plus cert price and that is why over the phone I quote the price break down followed by X dollar amount out the door. The problem is that we ARE NOT allowed to advertise it that way. If you look around the internet a smog prices in California it will always be advertised +cert and some other restrictions.

If you look at the coupons on http://www.smogtips.com/sacramento.cfm you will see that each one has the price plus certificate and a disclaimer about which cars it applies to.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Ed L
The site is currently being upgraded to display display cert fees, oversize vehicle fees and any other surcharges a station wishes to display. The final price will still display in the directory. But, the line items that make up that final published price will also show. Upgrades will be completed by 6PM this evening complete with the opportunity for existing listings to modify their pricing content display.

Thanks to all for your continued support and patience.

Sound good. I will sign up in the morning. Thanks.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Best Answer I Can Give
 Ed I would Ban your ass in a minute. This site is not for you to make money from us.

 Sorry for those I just pissed off, but this guy will make money on our backs, and not give you one penny.
One reason I do not wear T shirts with company Logo's. As big as I am I'm a Fucking walking Bill Board. PAY ME to Advertise for you.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Ed L
1. You do not have to register your station.
2. We do charge, as assumed do you for your services.
3. We are an advertising platform dedicated to Smog Station owners.
4. We literally drive customers to listed stations.
5. We are currently listing all stations free of charge, and they will remain listed free of charge.

The benefit of our service is obvious to the astute. Wishing you continued success.

Thank you for invaluable feedback. We look forward to serving you.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Ed L
We appreciate the comment. We anticipated some resistance from some station owners as to be expected with any sort of change to the status quo. Not to dissimilar to taxi drivers with the introduction of Uber. As Uber did, we also invested heavily in our market before building. The reality is, we bridge the gap between what vehicle owners want and the services provided by smog technician professionals.

If you advertise your business in any capacity, via any medium. We are simply another medium. We like to believe and are dedicated to CST being the most efficient medium to connect vehicle owners to their nearest smog service station. Our name is purposeful to get vehicle owners attention. However, as you will see. Pricing vacillates between locations listed and markets served as dictated by station owners. In a world where time is precious, the platform organically corrects to the location served. (i.e. A Station with high rent will likely charge more but serve a customer who is more concerned about distance than price).

As for our commercial viability. The market dictates as with any business.