SmogNearMe.com - The Uber Of Smog Station Locations > GPS Based Station Locator

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

323818
 The only problem I see with this app is... since I'm the most expensive in town it may deter some potential customers.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Best Answer I Can Give
 The girl scout got off her ass.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

cosmokramertheassman
It's really not an app. It's a website (web-app) with a smog directory to help consumers find the closest shop to them. I just see it as one more place to list a shop, which is never a bad thing. I still think Google Maps is most people's go-to when searching for businesses, but it wouldn't hurt to list, especially at no charge to us.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

cosmokramertheassman
Besta, have you ever learned to code? Do you know how to develop apps/web based apps? That's not "sitting on your ass." It takes skill, knowledge, and not everyone can do it, much less do it well.

If consumers latch onto this guy's idea, more power to him. He's making his buck in the smog industry, without ever lifting up the hood of a car.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Best Answer I Can Give
 On your reputation. Knock yourself out.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

cosmokramertheassman
Google makes money off the ads that I run. I make money, they make money. What's the difference?

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Best Answer I Can Give
 The difference I don't pay Google.

 You will pay this guy.

 A shop with a good reputation does not pay for anything on the WEB.

 You young guys don't get it, and None surprises me. Why do we do the cars we do? We started out when the Internet was a  baby. We made the money by a good reputation. JM started out with little or no internet. None started out with little or no internet. Hell when we started internet was Porno net. Porno made the internet.

 I stay #1 by reputation I don't pay google to come up as #1

 You don't need this guy to make money on you when all you need is to put your back to it and be honest.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

cosmokramertheassman
I got to number one on Google without paying. Google now brings me more business. My shop has a good reputation which I built off of hard work early on.

Now, it remains to be seen if anyone is going to see a bump in business because of this guy's web-app. I'm just in this conversation because I thought the way you jumped on him from the get-go was uncalled for.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Best Answer I Can Give
 Sorry dude I have no love for some one that will not get off there ass and work for it. Flyers, Mailers, Visit shops and explain Fine.
Use this site to better his bottom line. NO use this site to bottom everybodies bottom line HELL YES

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

cosmokramertheassman
I see your point of view. It's a bit antiquated, but I see it. Have a good day, Besta.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Ed L
Excellent point, and one we gave much consideration too. As far as we can see, stations pricing reflects the market served. Coupled with the facility, amenities offered etc. Why we added street view for each location so drivers can see where they will be serviced. Before we wrote a line of code. We conducted a focus group of a broad spectrum of drivers. This is what we learned if of benefit to the forum.

For affluent drivers, (BMW, Mercedes etc).  They care less about cost and more about distance and convenience. All obviously care about price, but distance and convenience seemed to supersede that.  Why we list by distance then price to let drivers pick and choose.

Lady vehicle owners- they care about the following in order.
80% - Location safety, cleanliness, distance, price, professionalism.
20% - Distance, Location safety, Price, cleanliness, distance, price.

Drivers under 25 (male & female): Price/ Distance.

Coupon use - created a sense of mistrust. They were going to be subject to hidden charges on arrival. Also, (true or not) created a sense of "bait and switch" with coupons needing to be printed to be honored. Why CST insists on final pricing. What you display is what they pay.

DMV request to action - approx. 50% of drivers said they will search a station on their home computer. But then nearly 100% (can't remember the exact stat) said they would search again once out in their car. Creating frustration as they would then have no access to a printer or have to return to print the coupon if price was the ultimate deciding factor. So, this could lend to some customers arriving with an attitude of frustration. As they may have hjad to jump through a few hoops to print the coupon.

Coupons - Unanimously, people don't like them. They seem to have the reverse intended effect of creating a sense of win. Especially with 35 and below. They feel its a very 90's style of marketing which is obsolete.

Back to your point on higher price. As you will see, the results displayed arevery fluid and change with distance travelled from 360degrees, not just linear travel. As you drive toward commercial or suburban locations, they tend to drop. Nicer city areas, they tend to increase with the convenience offered. But you will also have a very cheap offering in the middle. Usually a less desirable facility to some drivers (women). Again, why we display locations via street view. We don't dictate the pricing and owners can adjust at anytime based on surrounding, competitive offerings.

Hope this helped.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

 We started out when the Internet was a  baby.
"Times are a changing". I grew up in the automotive repair business. location and word-of-mouth I would still say are the best advertisement. But especially when opening a new business you still need to get your name out.

It was that the phone book was the main advertisement followed by the newspaper. Next was direct mailers and last was radio ads.

Now the internet is number one and far cheaper if put into the right places. The phone book works for old people but I don't do too much there, just a bold listing in one book and nothing in the rest. The newspaper is mostly a waste of money and I do one ad with them a year in a special thing that comes out. I tried direct mailers (Penny Power) and never got enough to really make it pay off. I never even considered radio ads though they call from time to time.

If I didn't start my smog shop from scratch I maybe wouldn't have tried these different ones but then I would have most likely paid someone for their name.

If he wants to advertise my shop for free to get his web app going I'll help him out and hopefully it can help me out.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Best Answer I Can Give
 Some of you are starting to get it.
"Uber" Why did they pick that name? To lazy to go out and promote, and establish a name. Type in Uber and up comes there site. NO LOVE FROM ME.

 Stop the STAR. Not sell your ideas and product. To lazy and cheap to get off there ass, send out Mailers. Send out Emails. Get off your ass and give the man a good firm, look in the eye hand shake. Took the easy way out NO LOVE FROM ME.

 Quotes all sorts of data, Where did he get that data. Gives you a link to a Web address that didn't work. Hell I'm 27 years old 6 ft 3 weigh 210 blonde hair and blue eye. My wife is a super model. I can show you pictures of our business on a web site. Big brand new 20.000 sq ft building with 500 employees. Fact is I'm a fat old man and my wife is no where near a super model. But that is not what I put down on the Web.

 The Girl Scout Got off her ass. Nobody say's you need to buy from her, BUT SHE TOOK THE TIME AND ENERGY I buy lots of girl Scout cookies and give them to the troops. How about you? WHY a good cause and they got off there ass.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Centralized Smog
Seems like extra fuel for the price war fire.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Personally when I think "UBER" I think of Adolf Hitler, "Deutschland ├╝ber alles" = "Germany above all" But thats just me.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Best Answer I Can Give
 I read your post last night, and my question is, What the hell are you doing on this site?
Yes I'm a biter old man. Biter because people like you don't think things out.

 Daily we work with a Program that is not thought out STAR.
Daily we work with people who cut the price, get the person in and tell them they will not do there older car at that low price. That person will now bad mouth and never go back to that shop. They didn't think. They didn't think, losing one is just not one, it's many.

 Sir you are way to smart and have way to many computer skills to be dealing with us.

 Look at what started this. You got on a site that has to do with Stopping the STAR. Not selling your product.
Who is on this site? Not many owners. I will bet less than half, Myself, None, JM, I think Scanner. A lot more Flunky's than Ass hole owners.
So if half of those guys have the same feelings as I did they will not tell the boss about this site.
Just post something on this site. Something stupid. You will find that it will get read less than 100 times.
So yesterday you spent time arguing with me while I still cleaned a restroom, emptied trash, and still did a bunch of cars.
Dude you have skills and you argued with me? Over maybe a couple guys who might sign up?

 None was the smartest one of the bunch. He signed up. Now when you talk to other's in his area you must talk a fee.

 Look at your plan. If you know who I am look at my shop on Google earth. Draw a circle around my shop. In bed last night I counted over 17 shop's that will need to now pay for your service while on get's it free for awhile and then will cost him $40 a month to keep it up. I have no shops to the south of me, Fields. To the west ocean. So two direction you rule out a bunch of shop's? Not so much rule them out but now after your up and running you must take the time to explain why they must pay. Why you didn't hit them up first?
So instead of sitting back making money you must now SELL your service.
A shop in the San Fernando Valley. Hell 5 mile radius you have killed off 20 shops. You now must SELL those 20 shops your idea.

 The thing that made me go to sleep with na smile on my face is this.
LOOK AT YOUR NAME.Uber.. What is Uber. None thinks of Dolf. Me I think of the Taxi\Ride share thing.
I'm looking for a place to get my car done. Do I type in smog check shops, or do I type in Uber Smog Check shops.
Why would I type in Uber? Hell Uber is a Taxi service.IF I TYPE IN UBER, I DON'T OWN A CAR.

 You get more work from your site than WE ARE WORTH.

 Sir you have to many skills to be messing with the likes of us.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

PPNNPNPNN
So station A gets in first it's free, then stations B&C pay the fee. Station A is close the the main drag and the housing center of the city, stations B&C are off the main drag in the industrial part of town, station A is going to benefit by "- Smog stations displayed to drivers based on GPS proximity to nearest stations."
Maybe I missed something.
 Location would dictate who benefits from this type of advertising. If you are off the beaten path I don't see the value here.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Ed L
Besta, the reason we are on this site. We are making the industry as a whole aware of our service. By virtue of the fact you took the time last night to map smog stations within proximity of your shop is simply affirmation of our service. When you visit CheapSmogTest.com,  it does that for you automatically. Each listed shop displays in exact order of distance within 360 degrees of your exact location, no matter where you are. Each listing displaying the details drivers want to know when deciding where to get their vehicle serviced. It's really that simple. Smog owners, ambitious technicians can inform shop owners the service exists and list their station free of charge, forever.

Being fully transparent, yes, we will be charging a modest $40 fee to owners who are late to register. When the directory has enough listing volume from those who listed free of charge for any particular area. That's advertising 101, matching consumers with a needed product or service. When we do eventually charge, a $40 flat fee is pennies on the dollar compared to what shops pay Google or Bing when they are actually bidding against each other to get visibility on the internet. Our platform shows every listed shop fairly and squarely in exact order of distance, irrespective of price. There is nothing out there or anything more beneficial to generating revenue for shop owners while simultaneously making life easier for vehicle owners. You mention you have never needed to advertise online, your reputation precedes you. That is great and we wish you continued success. Other shops do advertise, spent a fortune on it and don't always get the expected return. To them, we hold immense appeal and that is why we are here.

You continually mention this forum is dedicated to Stop The Star Program. I think if you view all of the topics posted, the forum has manifested itself into all things smog. Why we posted our service and are fielding every and any question, opinion from all members. To which we owe a great debt of gratitude to many members for some highly intelligent feedback to improve the directory of which we executed their suggestions & recommendations within 24 hours. Proof positive we are dedicated to serving the profession. As an aside to counter we do not belong on the forum. I do believe most would concur our smog revenue generation technology, which far supersedes any other station listing resource in terms of accuracy is far more relevant to the forum than your post "Is Anybody Watching Rio" post from August 9th. Again, the forum would appear to have migrated from its core mission to all things smog. A place for technicians to share ideas or thoughts of any kind, get answers from more tenured technicians, an area in which you appear to be well respected. We are new, but we are also providing technicians and owners with knowledge as to how to generate more smog testing revenue. Without customers, there are less questions needing answers.

Finally, our name is not Uber. As you will read in the post headline. Our topic listing describes our service as the "Uber Of" Smog Station Locations. Inferring the synergy between their geo based technology and ours connecting two parties of reciprocal interest. Similar to how people describe quality as "The Cadillac of...". Our name is CheapSmogTest.com  not to create a price war as prices published actually are very different depending on the location serviced. We have the name we do to catch drivers attention and it does. The directory does the rest...

We are not wasting time, we respect the opinion of each owner, technician who cares to take the time to learn more about us. Nobody has to list if they don't want to and we are free. It's my job to answer every post, even if profanity is used to distasteful excess. We consider all members as professional, hurtling profanity in a forum is disrespectful to the forum, not us. As much as this will probably be the cause of massive annoyance to you. Your every negative response to our service is only creating more interest and subsequent listings by forum owner/operators who have assessed our value using their own intelligence & judgement.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Best Answer I Can Give
 Ed, you can type. Your wasting your time with us.

Ok so your not Uber. Cheap? Hell that's worse than Uber.
People type in "Smog Check" Not cheap, just plain old smog check.

 Cheap? Thank you very much I have no desire to be listed under CHEAP. Cheap means one thing. CHEAP.

 Again you have set yourself up for fail. None. his price at say $50. The next guy on your list says $25. I'm looking for cheap. The first on that comes up is not cheap. Can i trust your site to be honest and true?

 Now if you want to use the site to what the best advantage is " Closest smog check"

pnppnpnpnpnpn what ever bring up a very good point also.

 Ok so what is Uber? The best? Well Uber is getting one hell of a bad name. Sexual assaults on some ladies.
The Cadillac of smog check. Your closest place might just be a better name.