SmogNearMe.com - The Uber Of Smog Station Locations > GPS Based Station Locator

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Ed L
Thanks for your post. Currently, Stations A-Z for any particular area can register for free. The paid 5 mile radius rule has yet to be enforced when registering. In terms of GPS, the algorithm calculates based on multiple variables from a 360 degree perspective. So, if the results change to reflect nearest also based on direction of travel. To use your example, if you were on the commercial side of town driving to the more expensive residential side. Each commercial, less expensive smog station on your way would show first in the directory.

Hope this helps explain.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Ed L
To answer your question, stations list their own pricing. If they do not honor it, we pay the difference to the customer and the shop gets a notice to correct their pricing. If teaser pricing is used again with consumer complaint, the shop is permanently deleted from the directory and all fees refunded if the shop was a paid listing.

Re: CheapSmogTest.com - The Uber Of Smog Station Locations > GPS Based Station Locator

Ed L
Example of how each smog station listing individually displays in Google. In addition to the main CST, GPS based smog station directory.

Benefit To All
1. Each station gets a dedicated web page as displayed above in addition to being listed in the main directory.
2. When a vehicle owner clicks on any CST listed webpage. The directory automatically corrects to display the nearest stations to their location irrespective of which station link was originally clicked.
3. As each stations lists in the directory, the more exposure it provides for all listed stations as the directory corrects to only display stations nearest to the vehicle owners location in order of distance.

 Summary
1. A co-operative effort benefiting all vs. stations bidding against each other, driving up the cost of clicks for those who advertise with Google Adwords, Bing, Yelp Sponsored Ads etc.
2. As more stations are listed, more listings are clicked. The correct stations are provided to the vehicle owner and CST organically becomes the #1 listing with Google, Bing & Yahoo (now Verizon).

To view listings as currently presented in Google, click here.  Please note, if you recently listed your station with CST. It takes approximately 4-5 days for each individual shop listing to index itself with Google. New listings display within the main CST directory within 24 hours of submission.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

BESTA, I have to ask. You say there is no value in his service but where is the value to the consumer in what we do? When a customer comes in and spends $50 for a smog check, what does he get? His car runs just as bad or as good as when he came in. We have done nothing to clean the air until we repair a failing car but you and I don't do repairs.  All the customer gets is a piece of paper that says he can drive his car in California. With $40/month from ED you will hopefully get customers directed to your shop which is the point of any form of advertising when you sell a service.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Voltron
I feel theres alot of copy and paste replies on this thread, but im just here for the coments

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Ed L
This post was updated on .
Every response has been individually written.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

smwalker
I just went through the sign up process and while I am by no means the industry norm I just wanted to point out a few things you may want to tweak:

Hours of operation:
You only have options for weekday hours, not day by day.  I only SMOG 3 days a week and I cannot reflect that in my hours of operation.

You Only have an option to list Sunday as a closed day but not Saturday.  So in the listing it just says nothing under Saturday. Could confuse consumers if they think well this place must be open Saturday because it says closed Sunday but not Saturday.

Services Offered:
You have a place to list extra charges for older cars but what if we do not even offer smog test for pre 2000 vehicles?  Is there a way to alert consumers that if they have an older vehicle not to come to our shop?

Thanks.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Ed L
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to explain. Valid points, we will address each (2 engineers on staff today) and will fix each accordingly. They estimate they will be done by 6PM and I will reply as soon as your recommendations have been addressed, coded and fixed. Thanks again.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Ed L
Suggested Updates Applied. Smog Station Listing Registration has now incorporates:

- Option To List Specific Business Hours/ Days of Service Operation.
- Option To Publish Service For Vehicles > Model Year 2000 Only.

For existing listings: The edit listing section will be upgraded tomorrow morning 08/15 by 11AM to reflect the modifications above.

For new listings: Upgrades applied & Smog Station Registration ready.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

smwalker
Very good Ed.   Not as fast as I would have liked to have seen.  Would you mind looking onto revamping the US election voting machines before dinner,  Thanks!

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Ed L
We do our best, was a whole lot of coding of a Sunday. But your suggestions were excellent and an opportunity to streamline the registration significantly, thanks again for your invaluable feedback. (We'll have the voting machines done by sunrise:) )

Have a great evening!

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

none
I too am not open on Saturday. Thanks for the fix.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Ed L
The Edit Smog Station Details Published Is Now Upgraded, Ready To Accept Updates As Required.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Best Answer I Can Give
 Sir Ed, I will call you that out of respect and Not Mr. Ed, because he was a talking horse.

 The movie Field of Dreams comes to mind. Jones is talking to Costner. He tells him that he wishes he had the passion that Costner is showing to "Go the Distance"
Sir Ed you have that desire and passion.
Trouble is I feel it is displaced. If I had your skills and passion it would not be wasted on what you are doing.

 Problem and your biggest one is, you have not figured in the IDIOT FACTOR.
You sound like the BAR and it's STAR program. Well the computer says this. The computer says that. The very thing this site is fighting. The idiot factor. The idiot factor cannot be programmed in.
The "Idiot Factor" is the Human being.
 Under STAR the computer shows this. Well the computer did not figure the the Idiot did not put on bigger tires.
The Consumer\Idiot factor was, and cannot be programmed in.

 Let's take a person, looking for a check. They do not type in Cheapest, NO, they type in "Smog Check" and maybe the Zip code of where they are looking.
Now the Top listing is closest but not the cheapest. The shop around the corner from home may be cheaper than all, but they are not on your site.
Now the shop that is listed #1 must listen to the consumer complain about how the site lied. You may be the closest but not the cheapest. Plus the shop around the corner from home is cheaper and closer, BUT NOT ON YOUR SITE.
So now you must explain to the consumer\ idiot that it is a paid site. That only those listed on the site are listed. Then they come back with, Well you are a cheat and crook, I'm going to the guy around the corner.
How about the shop that is closer and cheaper than you. The consumer\idiot was going to your shop but sees a cheaper shop, CLOSER. Well your reputation just went to hell.

 Sir Ed, hell I give you respect for your want and desire for it to work.
All your computer "Model's" computer Data, It maybe 100% correct. The "Idiot Factor" just made all that stuff JUNK.

 Idiot factor? ME. I would never go to a place that advertises "Cheap". It means just that Cheap. Would never type in CHEAP. Now low cost maybe. But never cheap. A person would never take there car to a CHEAP place unless they are. Hell, those of us that have done this along time know what a cheap customer is, CHEAP. They will not pay to get the vehicle fixed right. They want CHEAP. Again the Idiot Factor.

 Now Mr. Ed if you want some ideas on where to go with your time and that want that you have, come and shake my hand look me in the eye, maybe we could make some major money. Your idea? Your dealing with a couple hundred people. Mine THOUSANDS.

 Good luck with your idea, you just forgot the IDIOT FACTOR.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Ed L
As always, thank you for your feedback. However, station owners & managers apparently do see the value in our service and are listing their stations and services accordingly. At this juncture, likely safe to surmise our service does not offer appeal to Smogies Smog Shop. In which case, you are correct. When drivers search for a Smog Station near their location in Ventura, CA. Your station will not be displayed. Only those listed surrounding your location. Of which, they (or any) Smog Station manager or owner are fully entitled to do as they seen fit for the benefit of their business.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Best Answer I Can Give
 Think I hit a nerve.

 Sir just pointing out facts. I still do not understand your Passion. My guess you will get lucky if 200 sign up. There is just not that many smog shops out there.
The numbers may look good but half of those are dealers or just doing the check to make extra money.

 Sir your talent I would not waste on us,  much less me. You took the time to find out me? Sir I wish you luck.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

none
BESTA, What is your beef with this web app? Let it go already.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Kriss Vector

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Best Answer I Can Give
 To both of you, I was going to drop it but, you asked and here's why. CHEAP. You want to wear that badge KNOCK YOURSELF OUT.
Sheri thought we should be cheap.
You want cheap customers and what they bring? Have them all. The CHEAP person that will not fix there car. The person that pours crap down the tank thinking it's going to pass now. Have them.
I will not knock the site. Sir Ed I, wish him luck.

 There is just so many things wrong with the whole thing.

 Me I will take the reputation of being honest and fair for a decent price. I will not be know as a CHEAP whore. I will be known as a well paid whore.

 As far as driving. Why is Mark gone? People would drive 20 miles to Bakersfield to save $20, Idiot factor.People would spend 40 miles of gas, wear and tear on the vehicle to save $20. And that did not include there time.

 I'm done with this. If you can't figure it out you never will.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Ed L
Not to beat a dead horse. But, the word cheap is used for marketing purposes to gain the attention of vehicle owners. Similar to booking a flight, we all tend to gravitate towards the lowest price and then airline preference is usually secondary. The fact is, from our research at least. Drivers simply want to pass their smog requirement spending as little money as possible relative to their location and what would be most convenient for them.

To that end and to your point, the cheapest is all relative to the nearest location. A station may show $20 higher but 4 miles closer to a person with a busy day and a smog test deadline for DMV registration. That $20 extra is likely cheaper than the DMV late registration penalty. They may also be encouraged by the positive yelp reviews posted or simply like the look of the station better in our street view feature. Their final determination may come down to if the station provides free WiFi (as many do) so they can do a little work as they wait. As with anything, the pricing is relative to each individuals circumstance. As we only show 5 results per search based on immediate location, a driver can easily assess why one station may be charging a little extra. An affluent area is going to charge more with higher shop rents etc. But, serving a market with more money to spend, where convenience may provide more value than distance. Ultimately, each station owners runs their own shop as they want to, set their price as to the customers they want. We simply present the information in a quick, easy to digest format to save them time scouring the internet for what suits their needs &/or budget.
1234567