SmogNearMe.com - The Uber Of Smog Station Locations > GPS Based Station Locator

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Best Answer I Can Give
 Sir good luck in your endeavor.
 $600 will not pay the rent. But it will buy a weapon!

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Ed L
Thank you.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Got to agree with BESTA that any marketing of a skilled service is detrimental.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Ed L
But, for better or worse. The world we live in. The internet has changed the practice of sourcing professional services in every sector. With Smog tests, I am sure most would agree pricing is a major variable of consumer consideration, as the net product received is perceived as the same. Overall, I think most are aware of this as 99% of stations provide coupons. A marketing tactic to offer discount to the keen, but otherwise full charge applies. All we are doing is deciphering a broad array of already exercising marketing practices to give the net, net result to drivers. That is what your customers ultimately want and the market we serve. We knew we would receive both positive and negative feedback from some owners. But, that is why we are optional. We have created a healthy, competitive market. The stations offering fair pricing for the market they serve seem very enthusiastic about the exposure we are providing them. The stations charging above market rates are less enthusiastic. From the consumers perspective, where the platform provides its value. Any station charging fair pricing for the market it serves, will see their fair share of customers within their immediate vicinity.

Re: CheapSmogTest.com - The Uber Of Smog Station Locations > GPS Based Station Locator

deathbysmog
HATE the word CHEAP, cheap people are one of the worst parts about this job. I'm ok with your idea, hate the name.

Re: CheapSmogTest.com - The Uber Of Smog Station Locations > GPS Based Station Locator

Ed L
We do have a second name in reserve. Based on the feedback from all (with thanks). We are going to put it into service as our primary domain today. SmogNearMe.com

We will code the update today. Will have no impact on existing listings.

Re: CheapSmogTest.com - The Uber Of Smog Station Locations > GPS Based Station Locator

mikesmobile
Why not be cheap smog near me.
Mike

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Better or worse for WHO? Your fascination with SERVING the consumer is misguided. Make it cheap. Make it convenient. Make it painless with no personal investigation. Makes it worthless. Charge more and be happy.

We had smognearme.com already reserved and a little shorter to type in. I think dropping the "cheap" from our name will hopefully be a positive for all. As the pricing displays for each location, the customers can go from there. But, it will deliver on the primary name, smognearme.com

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Ed L
Have you seen the detail the directory provides for each station?  It provides more information per station than any other medium out there including Yelp & Google. It provides ample information per station for customers to investigate each location in detail. All displaying in the exact same format, so its easy to digest the value of services and amenities provided by each relative to the prices charged.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Hi Ed,

I signed my shop up, but the boss thought it would be a good idea to invent and advertise a different pricing structure just for your site.  I hope that it doesn't cause hard feelings or unnecessary confusion, but it would be nice if you could offer a spot for a shop-specific message, like "To lock in this price, be sure to tell the service writer that cheapsmogtest.com sent you as soon as you get here."

Also, I don't get off on being a grammar and spelling Nazi, but could you have one of your guys go through your content and do a search and replace "duel" with "dual"?

Thanks.

Re: CheapSmogTest.com - The Uber Of Smog Station Locations > GPS Based Station Locator

Re: CheapSmogTest.com - The Uber Of Smog Station Locations > GPS Based Station Locator

Ed L
That is indeed a great idea. We are going to promote to drivers they need to present the pricing displayed to receive it. A good opportunity to disclose our next release. In 7-10 days after testing, we will be launching an entirely new platform which will enable station owners to edit content displayed in real time. Also, incorporating marketing tag lines they would like to display. But most of all, the objective is to enable shops who may be having a slow day to temporarily drop their price to generate more customers. Once the shop is busy, a simple click to republish regular pricing. A flash sale which will help evenly distribute all available work to all shops in an any given area. Again, important to note owners will have full, instant control of pricing and content displayed.

Thanks for the typo heads up (duel vs. dual). Will edit now.

 And did I get a Thank you for the name change? NO
 $600 will not pay the rent. But it will buy a weapon!

Re: CheapSmogTest.com - The Uber Of Smog Station Locations > GPS Based Station Locator

Hey Ed

"A Star certified smog check request is nothing to worry about. It simply means your vehicle was randomly selected by the State to validate the smog stations testing procedures and equipment are working correctly"

Can I quote you on that?

Re: CheapSmogTest.com - The Uber Of Smog Station Locations > GPS Based Station Locator

Ed L
Content changed to :

STAR stations are Smog Check stations that meet higher performance standards established by the Bureau of Automotive Repair. Some STAR stations are licensed to perform only tests, while others are licensed to perform both tests and repairs. Each station is required to post the services it performs.

Re: CheapSmogTest.com - The Uber Of Smog Station Locations > GPS Based Station Locator

909Wrench
You must admit, even if you don't agree with his business, that Ed's pretty good at listening to suggestions and making changes.

Re: CheapSmogTest.com - The Uber Of Smog Station Locations > GPS Based Station Locator

Ed L
Thank you. The feedback from all has been great. We don't know the nuances of smog testing or ever will as you guys do. But, we do know how to code. So, we're making every change that makes sense for you guys to get this platform humming.

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

smwalker
Hey Ed if you could stand one more nitpick from me.

What do you think is the percentage of people in the US that understand what the "<"  and  ">" symbols mean?
We all learned it in elementary school and I am sure programmers use it a lot but I would venture to say it may confuse many in the general population.

You used them to describe the year cut off on the pricing page.  And you added a description to show the converse of the first statement witch is great but if you could find a way to get rid of those symbols all together I think consumers would be less confused.  ANd furthermore is there a reason you chose not to describe the cut off in terms of model years?  I mean the year cut off for OIS vs. BAR97 in CA is 2000.  It does not change every year so you would then have to change your page to 17 years, 18 years every year (unless you got a script to adjust it).  Plus you are forcing consumers to do math, they generally do not like that.

Just thinking aloud here, THanks

Re: Uber of Smog Station Locations

Ed L
No, not at all. Great feedback and I myself get confused with the < > symbols. The engineers love using them but I agree with you. The issue is maintaining the years for each listing as the years go by. Why we currently list vehicle age vs. model year.

But, with that said. In the next release which is about 10 days out. Station owners, managers will be able to update all info displayed in real time. Plus, enter the model year cut offs. If (or likely when) the Bar makes changes. We will be able to adjust the master year on the backend and the new model year cutoffs will automatically publish to each listing.

Far from ideal as is, but the improvement is on the way to make it to easier to manage on all ends. All listings will reflect any regulation changes.

Thanks for the feedback!
1234567