So What Just Happened in the field?

Hard Nox
It sure sounds like alot of us took a pretty good hit.  I expected to see FPR #s go up as a hole this time with the increased OIS volume since March 2015.

I personally am moving more iron and performing conscientious inspections. Treating my customers fair and doing what i have to do. This doesn't seem to be what the BAR has in mind. Working towards Clean Air and accurately following the CA. Smog Check Manual and regulations. Maintaining my education  and overall doing my best to stay on top of things.

Do I be more of an A$$  Hol*  and prescanning all my vehicles, rejecting all those POS cars and customers that I know there is little hope for.
Should I allow only late model Clean and Shinny cars and well groomed customers in my doors?

I know BAR monitors STSP website and hope will use this Feedback to adjust the FPR metric for those of us in the field subject to taking care of the less fortunate members of our society.

Re: So What Just Happened in the field?

Hard Nox
Thanks
Had to get that off my chest.

Re: So What Just Happened in the field?

It's a flawed system, like grading on a curve.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: So What Just Happened in the field?

ThePharmacist
Another thing too, it also promotes dishonesty. A lot of shops will guarantee a repeat customer car to pass in fear of getting their score dinged. My thing with that is you can keep passing it to avoid the ding but in the end you're just delaying the inevitable.

Re: So What Just Happened in the field?

Best Answer I Can Give
 I had to scratch my head at my score, UP. WTF, We use computer invoices. It tells me the last time it was in. I KNOW I DINGED MYSELF. My scores are up?
 To be honest I think that is what the State is looking for. I put down that I have turned into a ASS. Fuck it Fail it. It shows up TEST IT.

 What I don't get is the NON TESTERS. The ones that will not test the 88 Mustang. It MAY come back and haunt them.
How can you score a person if they will not fill out the score card?

 STAR was to be like the restaurant thing. Who wants to eat at a place with a D grade. A place with a A grade will serve you with a clean kitchen. Has all the proper tools. Keeps them clean and neat. Can perform the service that they were CERTIFIED to.
Sorry my machine is broke I can't do your 88 Stang because I have a broken machine is not keeping up to a A+ standard. A STAR STANDARD. Not doing the vehicle as PRESENTED is not STAR STANDARDS,

Re: So What Just Happened in the field?

Monkey
My score has gone up and its because I Test Them The Way They Come In.... MIL On, Monitors Not Ready and So On. My Fail Rate is 8.23% and I look at it like this that's almost 92% pass rate ...........
You can't make everyone pass but you can keep them happy by the way you fail them and explain it to them (Pictures,Print-Out,Etc)..

Re: So What Just Happened in the field?

Hard Nox
This FPR# system is just wrong. Secret Scoring metric with too many conditions beyond any of our control.
Destroying an honest mans life for missing 1 UC car is NOT right.

I do agree there should be consequences for those who are not following the rules but lets be fair.

No Secret Handshakes to make these decisions. Let us know how to perform and take the appropriate actions to improve this flawed system.

The 88 Mustang should be properly tested and the technician should not be in fear. He should be fairly scored for doing his job and that technician's FPR should be scored in his favor for going into a headwind.

The poorly groomed, the customer who just doesn't care, the hoarder with garbage piled to the headliner, the customer who is deliberately cheating the system, the customer who needs to buy groceries rather than an O2 Sensor, these are conditions that can not be tracked. But that 88 Ford sure can.

Ee

Re: So What Just Happened in the field?

Ee
Its been about 2 years,  we all were passing cars with 2 unset monitors, and any one unset for 2000 and newer, I think what just happened all these cars are now failing, causing lower FPR, especially if you deal with lots of dealers.
iha

Re: So What Just Happened in the field?

iha
Makes sense to me! I took my hit in Jan 2017 and now it is backup for July 2017. I have a lot of dealer accounts.

Re: So What Just Happened in the field?

MY STAR score was .38 , it took a plunge down to .13 wtf? So then i remembered this is based on what we did in 2015! I had just changed stations in April of 2015 so most of the cars i tested had to go elsewhere . does that mean that more than 75 percent of the cars i tested in 2015 ended up failing in 2017? that is absurd ! We had already started OIS and as someone posted above , many OIS passed in 2015. very aggravating , i think i am changing as they say in the military MOS!

Re: So What Just Happened in the field?

Best Answer I Can Give
Then how do you explain how mine keeps going up. I have done NOTHING different.

Re: So What Just Happened in the field?

Johnnybeme
I thought yours went down this semester?

Done nothing but go up. ??????????????????????

Re: So What Just Happened in the field?

Hard Nox
I gotta ask you Besta. I know you are a seasoned professional as many on this forum are and I do not want to offend you in any way. What do you attribute your success to?

What kind of neighborhood are you in?
Are you subject to taking care of the less fortunate members of our society as I previously mentioned?

How bout this computer invoicing system with the customer tracking feature?

I' m sure with your experience and feel for the industry that you know how to handle customers and provide quality service. I probably would not hesitate to bring my vehicles into your shop for service if I was in your customer base.

I do fairly well myself but I am not too happy with the FPR scoring system.

Re: So What Just Happened in the field?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Professional? Not ME. Never taken a class on how to build a better business. My wife is the reason we are still here. The person behind the seen, the wife. The person helping you. Supporting you. Now that's the person that makes the business run.

 Started the business under one rule. Treat People Like You Want To Be Treated.

 I like a SMILE on my face. I love to make people HAPPY SMILE.

 I think one of the reasons is "The Shop"we bent the rules. It's also the reason I didn't have STAR for a year. If it would pass at a high RPM I would test at a High RPM. Fix NOBODY likes a FAIL.
If I could push a rule I would. Flat out Cheat? Not no but HELL NO.

 As a PR told me, "You keep you customers happy, you will not keep your STAR". Thus I have turned into a ASS.

 The biggest thing that I think helped was a THANK YOU. I'm big on thank you. Until the STAR program came out, the shop would send out "Thank You" card at the end of the week. Thanks  for coming in. That brought us A LOT of people.

 The neighborhood? Ventura is pretty affluent. My price is not cheap. Thus we don't see cheap people.
I will help out the less fortunate, if they are willing to try. They want to fix it themselves? Go somewhere else.

 Computers? WinWork will do a TON. More than this shop needs. It will send out Thank Yous and Reminders, if you use it right. It will also tell you the last time it was in. PLUS it looks clean and neat.

 Handling Customers? I'm the biggest Ass you have ever seen. Tell someone a STRAIGHT answer? Hell Yes.
Handling people? I have and will stick to my RULE. Treat People Like You Want To Be Treated. You like a smile on your face? Who doesn't. Straight to the point answer? Who doesn't. That's why some people think I'm a Ass. I will not give them the answer the WANT to hear.

 I am a FIRM believer in a higher power, and will be HELD responsible for those we screw over. I Believe in KARMA. Seen it slap to many people in the ass. Call it Higher power. Call it Karma. Life is what you make of it.
 Life will give you rope. Make a ladder to pull yourself up, or use it to make a noose to hang yourself with.

 The FPR thing Who the Fuck KNOWS. The only thing I have done different? Test as presented. Learn what the other 90% are doing. Do it if you like it or not. You must feed your family. They come first. Don't screw some one else to feed your family. Let them feed their family.

 I like a smile on my face, put a smile on another persons face.

Re: So What Just Happened in the field?

 EE that is a totally plausible explanation ! It wasCutthroat  BAR who made the changes and now we pay ? sounds like the state of CA awesome sauce .

Re: So What Just Happened in the field?

Hard Nox
Thank You Justa

You are a Professional with much wisdom.