So what one is worse?

Best Answer I Can Give
 1978 Dodge Van comes in. You have done it for a million years.

 Now what do you take? The hit, because it didn't fail? SVFR. Or the fail? You passed it two years ago, so you must have cheated, two years ago. Follow up pass rate.

Re: So what one is worse?

FRUSTRATED
Hope it dies as the customer is driving in and retires it!

Re: So what one is worse?

cosmokramertheassman
I give those the boot from the get go. Thankfully, I rarely see anything from the 80's, let alone the 70's.

Re: So what one is worse?

Iconcur
I charge them 107.95 or if they take out the dog house 87.95. usually that persuades them to move on or I get more money win/win.

Re: So what one is worse?

Voltron
I tell $150 and I dont mess with the dog house. They do that themselves

Re: So what one is worse?

Smogtech
Make sure if you have the coupon out there, add some restriction to it..

Re: So what one is worse?

Newbiesmogtech
I did one of those last week.. I charged customer 95 dollars for the inspection. It failed emissions, but customer wasn't mad because he was retiring it anyway...

Re: So what one is worse?

 I love it. The question was about the hit, not the van. I just used a van. Take a 95 Toyota V6 Camry. It did not matter the vehicle. What the question was, What one is worse? The hit for the vehicle that should not pass, or the hit for failing a vehicle you passed two years ago.

 Now as a side Note, blow all those pieces of shit out you want, I WILL TAKE THEM. WHY? That pile maybe Dad's, and they own 6 more nice, easy OIS cars.

 Next time it's slow remember all those POS you did not do. The POS is still money in your pocket, money helping to keep your doors open, not the guy down the street.
Blowing them out just lost you a chance to make a good impression. How many easy vehicles did you just blow out?
iha

Re: So what one is worse?

iha
Shops with multiple Bar 97, Dads and Technicians have more flexibility with the the vehicles they choose to smog. A shop with one technician cannot get hung up by a single vehicle. Customers are so impatient that you would need to charge 5 times the OIS rate for problem vehicles. Those customers that you lose will not come back. I ask customers with POS vehicles to make arrangements to leave their vehicles ... but they never do!!

Re: So what one is worse?

Iconcur
Sorry about getting off topic, I think getting the hit from passing it is the lesser of two evils.

Re: So what one is worse?

Yep jack the price to make it worth it or better yet give that cheap test only some biz! You will probably do three OIS in that time so I say just get on to the next victim.

Re: So what one is worse?

Besta

There is a difference between testing a POS from a coupon clipper and testing from your own clientele. Now that many test centers are raising prices for ASM and finding hard to justify fixing the machine. (in a timely fashion you have to have it to be STAR) I find more customers glad to find some one to just help them with their particular smog situation. As far a taking a hit, I have good records and know my customer. Usually good customers have unusual low mileage vehicles that just keep on passing just fine and those I do not know well I will ding you cause I always prefer to fail then repair. But you know all this discussion would be mute if the STAR metric was a real test of technician performance.

Re: So what one is worse?

Re: So what one is worse?

Best answer, I would take the hit because it did not fail .I noticed you said it is a repeat customer and you have done it a million times and it has passed most of the time .So , that means that the customer has taken good care of his vehicle (unbelievable right?) and together with the all the wiggle room they get to pollute it passed . IN the future tho it will fail , so you will have to take a hit for either sooner or later . But mr .Rocky Carlisle says you shouldn't worry about one car and that it will not impact your FPR . .....

Re: So what one is worse?

My Name is Nobody
If AB 550 passed, we probably don't have to deal with at least up to 1986 model year.

Legislation_and_Regulations_Update1.pdf

Re: So what one is worse?

cosmokramertheassman
Iha, for some reason if I do decide to take in an older vehicle that takes a while to test, I end up getting 2-3 cake cars right after. Then, to make things worse, I sometimes get a restart or it takes me a while to find a good rpm signal. Then I'm left wondering, "why the heck did I decide to do this heap when I've got these easy cars waiting?"

I prefer the peace of mind in just sending the older, more problematic, time consuming cars down the street.

To answer the original question, I don't really ever concern myself with STAR scoring specifics. I just test cars properly and accurately. The rest is out of my hands. I let the chips fall where they may.
iha

Re: So what one is worse?

iha
Cosmo, Yup, That's what seems happens to me every time.

Re: So what one is worse?

That pile maybe Dad's, and they own 6 more nice, easy OIS cars.
It may be different in your area but around here people who drive junky cars only have junky cars and hang out with people who drive junk. If it is a clean older car I would test it but certainly charge much more because it uses more expensive equipment and runs longer on the dyno putting more wear on it and time on the sampling benches. Like the others have said, You can do three or more OIS tests in the same time as a pre-OBDII vehicle.

As to the original question, I think COSMO summed it up;
cosmokramertheassman wrote
To answer the original question, I don't really ever concern myself with STAR scoring specifics. I just test cars properly and accurately. The rest is out of my hands. I let the chips fall where they may.

Re: So what one is worse?

Best Answer I Can Give
Most of what you guys say is true, but not always.

 Tried sell cars for awhile. Young girl comes in, I think "Waste of time" Sell her a new Firebird.
Guy walks into the shop. Hey Buddy Fox sent me I have a smog problem. this guy looks homeless to the MAX.
In 1979 this guy was worth 3 million. Buddy Fox was the guy across the street.

 I have 1978 Blue Dodge Van I do. It's the Van he went to College in. I also do Dr. Woodburns newer cars and his kids cars.@ 8 cars total.

 My Point? YOU CAN NEVER TELL I have known many guys that look like they don't have two nickels to rub together, that could buy and sell any of us on this site.
They look that way because they can.

Re: So what one is worse?

none
BUT if I want to have two nickles to rub together I won't make it smogging 1979 Dodge vans unless I charge accordingly. I don't care who owns it.