Software saved my ass

Johnnybeme
I was reluctantly smoging a 89 mustang and all looked OK. When I signed them up my software said it was a 2.3l 4 cyl/ It was  a 5.l v8/! I re-checked with my parts house and indeed the VIN was a 2.3 4cyl! Thank you winworks!

Re: Software saved my ass

From what were you "saved", Johnny?  I certify legal engine swaps all the time.

Re: Software saved my ass

Johnnybeme
Gotta have a BAR label! Right? referee?

Re: Software saved my ass

Voltron
Not if its a motor offered in that year and model vehicle. For instance an 89 mustang 2.3 swapped with an 89 5.slow doesnt need a label

Re: Software saved my ass

Re: Software saved my ass

Best Answer I Can Give
 Mr John, yes the Data base is flawed, and yes it could be a engine change, but I would hope that you would know, BAR, Winworks and many others "Buy there Data from other sources" Garbage in Garbage out.

Re: Software saved my ass

Johnnybeme
Unless my documentation is perfect I do no smog. Period. 100% Right?

Re: Software saved my ass

Re: Software saved my ass

I have no obligation to do a smog check. I can refuse anyone for any reason. It is not a mistake to be so careful as to never be in error. Documentation or over documentation, time is money, and I could care less about digesting the law on the consumer behalf. Vehicles that I pass are unquestionable and I like this feeling. If I feel that I have to interpret something I choose to not participate.

Re: Software saved my ass

Re: Software saved my ass

FRUSTRATED
D, years ago I was sitting at a Citation Administrative Hearing, the BAR representative said in his argument and backed up by the District Attorney "you as a smog station are not forced to do any smog it if is due to lack of expertise or lack of proper tools to perform the required check".  It sounds to me like we have an open door to decline any business we want, I for one will take a pissed off customer over getting a citation 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.

Re: Software saved my ass

It is not BS to require a consumer to have 100% documentation. If the laws are fuzzy then it is the consumer fault not mine cause they own the vehicle and are charged with compliance. My job is to document compliance and issue a certificate. I understand the new system. You know the system that says every T is crossed and every I is dotted. When in doubt, ship it and let someone else be the judge with information that may or may not be correct. The little business I lose is worth the comfort I feel.

Re: Software saved my ass

Re: Software saved my ass

Re: Software saved my ass

Smogtech
copied and pasted drom D

Example: A 1982 Chevrolet Camaro was
originally equipped with a 3.8 L engine. It now
has a new 5.7 L Chevrolet engine installed.
Action: The emission control systems
application manual shows that a 1982 Camaro
also came from the factory with a 5.7 L engine.
The car has all the required emission control
systems installed for a 1982 Camaro with a 5.7 L
engine. The car would be tested by the
technician as though the 5.7 L engine was factory
installed.
All the required emission control equipment for a
1982 Camaro with a 5.7 L engine must be
installed and connected.
ex. 2001 accord i4 and v6  2.3l /3.0l

Re: Software saved my ass

I know the rules! Rules do not force you to do anything but what thew law requires. When I sign the cert I am 100% positive of compliance, I can live with that.

JM