Something OBD fishy

Low-score
A truck came over, do invoice, I know the family, you know, struggling with 3 kids etc etc, I told them I will take 10 dollars of regular price, check to make sure nothings is modified and OBD readiness are ok with no mil and no codes. its a 2003 chevy silverado, I do the test but the OBD reading takes forever, when it asks me to run the rpms the needle doesn't move, thinking it might be the machine that froze and thinking might be the wire, I abort(first OIS abort ever) I write that something might be wrong with car or OIS and do it right away, when the obd come it does the same for rpm so I get a bit suspicious , the obd connector looks good but when I looked on the back and move a plastic cover it had, it seems to be some sort of plug connected to the Car obd connector and from there it has a obd connector that they replaced on the car, I aborted and wrote it down on the paper and told them that something is in there, might an alarm or something but I cannot test it, I am sure they were trying to make me do an illegal pluggin . My dad, who is a tech told me not to worry since I didnt pass it, but it makes me upset that 1: those people know me and didnt care, 2; if it wouldnt have asked me for the rpm i probably would have passed and i did something illegal with me having no idea and probably BAr trouble. MY question is, I aborted two tests, will they show and can I fight them and two, even thou it didnt pass, am i I in trouble?

Re: Something OBD fishy

1. Don't abort OIS. Just close it and start a new test and say no you don't want to resume.

2. The needle takes awhile to move cause OIS is shitty, garbage software.

3. You did nothing wrong, don't worry.

4. I recommend checking monitors on everything, verify the VIN matches if it is transmitted. This way you can see if someone has an emulator in place of the ECM/

Re: Something OBD fishy

Low-score
I usually do that but this time something drove me to do the abort, I in fact think might be better since I am actually aborting due to some illegal activity. I had mi license for 20 years and never had a problem with bar, my day had his since I think '89(right before BAR90) and no problem.

Re: Something OBD fishy

dano

Re: Something OBD fishy

D, when you close the software like that, it will ask you to run DAD diagnostic test which is annoying. Also, IIRC, abort doesn't count on OIS.

Re: Something OBD fishy

Low-score
I am talking about the RPM acceleration test. Being a complete separate computer it will never pick up the cars rpm's.

Re: Something OBD fishy

It only does the diag bullshit if you are in the middle of the extraction, before or after it just asks if you want to resume. I do it all the time when I get fed cert vehicles, I swear the only time it's fed is if you don't look at the label first. Less paper means cleaner air!

Re: Something OBD fishy

Any chance that this truck was a fleet vehicle in a previous life? Some fleets, like AT&T, have maintenance recorders hooked to the OBDII connector which will be removed from the original location and the one that is there will look like a GM OBDII connector but the wires on the back will be in a rubber loom. The get screwy readings sometimes.

Re: Something OBD fishy

locopoco
I'm with "none":
There must've been an original OBD2 connector there.
Poor souls maybe they didn't even know that was there,specially for a common customer with no automotive knowledge.