Spacer on rear o2 senor

CHRIS
Hi all,

I failed a car because it had a spacer installed on the rear o2 senor. Few days later, the customer came back and he just removed the space without changing the o2 sensor or the catalytic. I did not do the test because again because I told him that he has to to the repair and cant just remove the spacer and come back to me.

My question is how do you handle this kind of situation?

Re: Spacer on rear o2 senor

TheSmogDog
Well if theres no MIL and no visible modification or damage when he brought it back I would pass it. If the vehicle is in passing condition according to the OBD and the visual checks out then to my knowledge there is no problem. The spacer is removed, note it on the VIR. I mean we are supposed to test the vehicle as is so if the problem (o2 sensor spacer) has been removed, test as is. At least thats what I'd do since he could take it to another shop down the street and get a pass.

Re: Spacer on rear o2 senor

bayareasmog
You are legally supposed to test the vehicle as is when it comes in, no matter when or how it comes in. So you're supposed to pass it the second time. But to be safe, I would have him drive the vehicle for about a week without the spacer to have the vehicle runs its O2 cycles. That would make sure that they are working and the catalytic converters are working correctly. You can only play it the safest and most legal way you can.

Re: Spacer on rear o2 senor

Samy
Smog vehicle as the condition it comes in.

Re: Spacer on rear o2 senor

none
I always hear that we are supposed to test the cars as they come in or some version of that BUT I can not find anything like that in the rule book.

SO, if you want to reject it or make them drive it more I think that would be your choice.

Re: Spacer on rear o2 senor

I always hear that we are supposed to test the cars as they come in or some version of that BUT I can not find anything like that in the rule book.

SO, if you want to reject it or make them drive it more I think that would be your choice.
I have the right to refuse service and smog at my discretion. I can def refuse to smog a Car that comes in with pending codes or incomplete monitors and cite STAR for it being the reason for refusing to do so. As STAR station i am held to a higher standard and my star score reflects that.

Re: Spacer on rear o2 senor

bcwcardz
Why would he have to change the O2 and the Cat? Were they modified or aftermarket with no number? If that car came to you for the first time with no spacer would it have been a pass? I’m just trying to figure out why you want the customer to do repairs on the 02 and Cat when all he had was a spacer.

Re: Spacer on rear o2 senor

none
bcwcardz wrote
Why would he have to change the O2 and the Cat? Were they modified or aftermarket with no number? If that car came to you for the first time with no spacer would it have been a pass? I’m just trying to figure out why you want the customer to do repairs on the 02 and Cat when all he had was a spacer.
Because the O2 sensor spacer was to hide the bad cat from the computer. Why else does anyone install O2 sensor spacers?

He is trying to protect his FPR.

Re: Spacer on rear o2 senor

bcwcardz wrote
Why would he have to change the O2 and the Cat? Were they modified or aftermarket with no number? If that car came to you for the first time with no spacer would it have been a pass? I’m just trying to figure out why you want the customer to do repairs on the 02 and Cat when all he had was a spacer.
Its a good thing you left the industry

Re: Spacer on rear o2 senor

His_Stigness

Re: Spacer on rear o2 senor

if the repairs are done then pass it

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 12:23 PM CHRIS [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I failed a car because it had a spacer installed on the rear o2 senor. Few days later, the customer came back and he just removed the space without changing the o2 sensor or the catalytic. I did not do the test because again because I told him that he has to to the repair and cant just remove the spacer and come back to me.

My question is how do you handle this kind of situation?

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Spacer-on-rear-o2-senor-tp5082944.html

Kevin Casillas