Star Fails?

calismog
Iam seeing alot of cars that are being failed incorrectly by the cream of the crop aka star, also seeing alot of cars being rejected by appearance and OBD2 rediness, whats going to happen?

Re: Star Fails?

Accused
direct your customers to file complaints with BAR.

Re: Star Fails?

Failit
Urge CUSTOMER COMPLAINTS. It is the only way the BAR will begin to see a problem with the STAR program. In time both the BAR and the referee stations will get tired of complaints and doing regular non problem smogs. Only this will push BAR far enough to do something about it

Re: Star Fails?

The public needs to be informed of their rights to file complaints with BAR,
whether the complaint is right or wrong. That's what the BAR gets paid to
determine.
It's up to the consumer to "write it right" when it comes to a complaint.
Like I said before, I'm not sure the BAR will investigate a complaint
should the STAR Station/Star Tech have a high Star Score.
The BAR might "assume" the shop/tech is doing the smog inspection
By The Book.

Re: Star Fails?

Reactor
If a Toyota comes in with timing at 13 degrees then it'll most likely fail functional because it very well may be 14 degrees depending on the viewing angle and i don't want to take chances with it failing somewhere 2 years from now. So they'll need to set it at 10 and this is it. Same with anything else remotely looking like it's not good: replace it so i know it won't fail later. No way i'm gonna test or retest something with monitors not set or pending codes. Also not taking any of the "make sure it's really hot" crap from customers. Still got emission failure after the free retest- well, that's the last time i tested it: go keep trying somewhere else.
Probably don't want to sell the gas caps either- rather have the fail record for it.
Is that improper?

Re: Star Fails?

Failit
Im a new tech, fresh out of school with about a year experience.
POV:
*Timing is allowed 3+/-. if the car is within rpm and running good why not pass it.*Nothing wrong with testing monitors not set. The car will fail. But will pass 2 unset before 2000 and 1 unset 2000+.*The car should be operating temp when testing. Up to you whether you super-heat.

Now. Fails do not give you a high fpr. The point is to fail cars which have a long term high fail ratio.
Here is where all the speculation comes into play.

What can POSSIBLY happen in two years that will cause that passed car to FAIL? A whole LOT? Is it in a techs control? Past improper smogs? mistakes? a generation of clean pipers? accidents?
OR does the BAR expect ALL drivers to properly maintain, inspect, and repair their vehicles all year round?

Re: Star Fails?

Reactor
Most anything with adjustable timing is old enough to be expected to fail next cycle. You don't just pass them any more- you approve it for the next 2 years (vacuum hoses, PCV and all). The scenarios i gave in the previous post are something that would normally pass before. Now lets watch everyone's fail rate go up, say 10% which will create the snowball effect: performance standards will keep increasing and it will be more and more difficult to have your FPR better than the next guy. So if about 40% didn't make the STAR cut now, it's only gonna get worse. Many techs will panic and start trying to artificially inflate their scores by incorrectly failing cars. That's why in many ways the logic behind the score algorithm seems to be far prom perfect. Or may be we just have trouble understanding it.

Re: Star Fails?

Under the Bus
It seems it is no longer a smog inspection but a smog prediction. I have seen failed vehicles for frayed protective webbing on breather hoses.If this is the new order of the program then i suggest my fellow techs that we leave the shrink-wrap on the replacement parts.

Re: Star Fails?

calismog
92 ford probe 116k ,like new, everything checks out , but bar says these are the ones that fail?

Re: Star Fails?

calismog
cant fail cars that pass. i need the money , but two years from now, who knows how the car will be ?
DAMNED IF U DO , DAMNED IF YOU DONT!!!!!

Re: Star Fails?

careful
some shops receive the same customers consistently thus giving them control over their fpr. customer "oh thank you for helping me pass my car, i'll come back here and tell all my friends to come here"