Star and citations

Dave
I have a one man test only shop about a quarter mile away. He has been in business 20 years. Honest and hard working. He was tricked into passing an undercover car. Because of his citation he will lose his Star Certification. Half of his business was Star directed and will disappear. He is closing his shop as he will not be able to make overhead. He is also out of a job as no Star Certified station can hire him or they too will lose their Star Certification. He has a test only license and all the test only stations in the area are Star certified. Has anyone else seen this problem? Are there many experienced smog technicians that have lost their businesses and jobs because of the Star bs?

Re: Star and citations

Evil Morty
how was he tricked into passing an undercover car?
This seems like a good time for a drink and a cold, calculated speech with sinister overtones.

Re: Star and citations

No One
Evil Morty wrote
how was he tricked into passing an undercover car?
This right here

Also inb4 BESTA chimes in, he should get a lawyer. Never deal with the BAR court on your own, have some one represent you.

Re: Star and citations

Dave wrote
...He was tricked into passing an undercover car...
Playing the victim won't get much sympathy from me.

Dave wrote
...Because of his citation he will lose his Star Certification...
For one month if he appeals. Do a search on here. My tech has had two citations and had his FPR drop below .1 and I never got a lawyer and I'm still STAR for some reason.

Dave wrote
He is closing his shop as he will not be able to make overhead... He has a test only license and all the test only stations in the area are Star certified...
I still think TEST ONLY is on the way out. If he was TEST and REPAIR he could have done all the same work he has been doing all the time he was TEST ONLY and he could keep his doors open now.

Re: Star and citations

dcf1ver
Evil Morty wrote
how was he tricked into passing an undercover car?
X2

Re: Star and citations

Paula Deen
You meant to say he got lazy and passed an undercover car right?
Ex foodnetwork star, now a dang smog checker

Re: Star and citations

Best Answer I Can Give
 By the looks of it here ,you are going to find symptom between Shit and Syphilis in the Dictionary.

 None will tell you not to. I will tell you to. None is not stupid and has been around the block a few times.
New to this? Hire a lawyer.
Me I would hire a Lawyer and go after them for the WHOLE BALL OF WAX. The STAR program is FLAT OUT ILLEGAL.

Re: Star and citations

... None will tell you not to...
I'm not telling ANYONE what they should and should not do.

I only shared my personal experiences.

Re: Star and citations

Dave
Tricked means... I saw the BARs pics of the so called failure  The modification they did was completely hidden from view with hoses and intake plumbing.  A deliberate deception. This guy is a dedicated honest hard worker. He is a human being (unlike some others) who is not perfect and occasionally has a bad day and even sometimes makes a mistake (unlike some others). He was a test only which means he has no ulterior motive for failing cars. He has nothing to gain if he fails a car other than to get a complaint from the customer. PLEASE explain how does destruction of businesses and experienced careers help the smog check program over ONE mistake???

Re: Star and citations

Juicebox
Can you be more specific? Like was it an astro van with a spark plug jammed into the pcv valve or a v6 toyota with the pcv under the manifold removed? Usually, from what i've seen and heard, most undercover mods are pretty easily visible.

Re: Star and citations

Dave
From the pictures I saw the PCV valve was removed with a
vent replacing it. The vent was located underneath the air
intake piping and other hoses. No way to normally visually
see it from the front or even the side.

Re: Star and citations

Paula Deen
Dave wrote
 He has nothing to gain if he fails a car other than to get a complaint from the customer.
So.. is it possible  he let the modification go to prevent a customer complaint?Ouch
Ex foodnetwork star, now a dang smog checker

Re: Star and citations

Dave wrote
PLEASE explain how does destruction of businesses and experienced careers help the smog check program over ONE mistake???

When star first came into existence, I heard that the motive was to thin out the heard or even completely remove test only. They cant legally shut us down, so they use star to starve us out of the industry.

Re: Star and citations

defective
Sounds like a Mustang.  If so, they definitely aren't hidden modifications.  If he was looking for the PCV valve, he wouldve seen it.  Still sucks either way.

Re: Star and citations

dano
Dave wrote
From the pictures I saw the PCV valve was removed with a
vent replacing it. The vent was located underneath the air
intake piping and other hoses. No way to normally visually
see it from the front or even the side.
What kind of car was this??

Re: Star and citations

STAR is Racist
Yup sounds like the Mustang, it really does stick out like a sore thumb. Not just the PCV vent filter but the cap on the throttle body. I still agree with Dave the guy shouldn't lose his business over one mistake. STAR is completely unfair and maybe if we start calling STAR racist people in Sac might start listening.

Re: Star and citations

Lose weight
Imagine BAR having a early 90s Ford 5.0/5.8 engine with the pcv hidden behind the manifold. They would clean house.
Bunch of plumpy hens stop overeating!

Re: Star and citations

Best Answer I Can Give
 Peat and Repeat. The rules and the Laws you people do not understand.

Re: Star and citations

Respectfully disagree with the term " tricked".  Basic undercover car setup.
Tech ffed up.  Too much in a hurry, and or inexperienced, or no streamlight flashlight to properly inspect.
Done deal.

Re: Star and citations

xcinlb
Yea the guy messed up, but the punishment is out of balance with the crime. More so for a first time offense.To completely destroy someones livelihood is BS. You mean, this is more serious than the crap politicians do or corporations do and just get a slap in the hand.   All the online keyboard warriors are quick to judge and prosecute. It could happen to anyone.
12