Story of Mr.Long....

Able
Guess what been happening? In my city, there's a known dirty smog station. Mr.Long, so this guy passes any car at $60 bucks a pop OIS with fail visuals. YES, What an idiot....Usually I wouldn't care, but it is affecting my shop, NOW I AM PISSED!

Here's what been happening, I fail a car for tampered, wrong CAT/Intake no CARB/o2 sensor spacer/etc. Customer goes to Mr.Long and passes. (Yes, i been keeping records and have been double checking with Vehicle History and then double checking with CARFAX to see where it was smogged....every time, Mr.Long!

I failed customers and they complained to me that it passes elsewhere and I tell them that other technicians are not doing proper inspection! They even yell at me for checking aftermarket CATS, I yell BACK at them I am doing my JOB! I need to inspect the car properly! Thats what you're suppose to do~!

So I been losing customer to Mr.Long because he's an idiot, why is he passing cars for all kind of failed visuals?!?!!?!?

BAR is taking tooooooooooooooooooo long to catch up to him. Did I mention he's a veterans in the smog business? His License DOES not start with a #6 like most of these new smog techs.

At least he's charging $60 for OIS test!

Re: Story of Mr.Long....

Evaponly818

Re: Story of Mr.Long....

user7112
Able is a cool guy.
I say we unite and call BAR and leave a bunch of anonymous tips about Mr Long.
Dont call me a snitch we can fight about it lol

Re: Story of Mr.Long....

Able
Evaponly818 wrote
How do you know he passing for 60$? Do customers come back and tell u? For the cats and spacers maybe he’s too lazy to get on the ground but for the air intake idk.. is he being lazy? Does not care about his license anymore? What city are you in
YES, CUSTOMERS COME BACK AND YELL AT ME AND GETS MADE AT ME. THEY BRING THE PASSING CERT TO ME AS WELL AND SAY "SEE, EVERYTHING PASSES, WHY YOU FAIL MY CAR?!!?!"

THEY EVEN DEMAND THEIR MONEY BACK!!!

HELL NO, NO ONE GONNA GET THEIR MONEY BACK! BUT THEN THEY'LL GIVE ME NEGATIVE YELP AND GOOGLE REVIEWS WHICH AFFECTS MY SHOPS BUSINESS/REPUTATION!

Re: Story of Mr.Long....

Able
user7112 wrote
Able is a cool guy.
I say we unite and call BAR and leave a bunch of anonymous tips about Mr Long.
Dont call me a snitch we can fight about it lol

Thanks, that would be helpful, but I recall we shouldn't post specific info on any shops here. UNLESS ITS OKAY WITH ADMIN. I WILL DO IT, JUST LET ME KNOW.

Re: Story of Mr.Long....

user7112
ah true
well its up to Mr Barry
either way its only a matter of time till Mr Long gets caught

Re: Story of Mr.Long....

defective
If you have customers coming back to argue, theres really no need to get into it.  Just tell them you will refund their money if they pass at the Referee.  Be professional.  No need to get down on their level.  Do you still have Referee flyers from when BAR sent them out to all the shops?  When you catch tampers, whip out your phone, take pics, and file them with vehicle info in a folder on your OIS computer.  Ask if you can make a copy of their "passing" VIR and invoice.  They may even back down.  Explain that they will most likely have the same issue two years from now.

Re: Story of Mr.Long....

WealdstoneRaider
Able wrote

THEY EVEN DEMAND THEIR MONEY BACK!!!
This is a beautiful opportunity to tell the customer to place a complaint with Bar if they want their money back. You'll  have the chance to tell Bar what's going on and hopefully they can get the referee to look over the suspected cars. Since you mention they had their car illegally passed I guarantee they wont place a Bar complaint.
want sm'ting I'll give it to ya

Re: Story of Mr.Long....

user7112
Defective and Paula deen have some legit answers

Be like i'll give you $500 if your car passes at the referee station lol
the compliant idea is also golden
they would be throwing Mr Long under the bus without even knowing it

Re: Story of Mr.Long....

Paula Deen wrote
Able wrote

THEY EVEN DEMAND THEIR MONEY BACK!!!
This is a beautiful opportunity to tell the customer to place a complaint with Bar if they want their money back. You'll  have the chance to tell Bar what's going on and hopefully they can get the referee to look over the suspected cars. Since you mention they had their car illegally passed I guarantee they wont place a Bar complaint.

This right here.

Re: Story of Mr.Long....

Customers dont two shits if there car is legal, they just want it to pass, and you doing your job in there eyes makes you the bad guy.  This is why I tell guys not to be too concerned about online reviews as the moment you do your job in the states eyes you did good but in the customers eye your an ass and a RIP off

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019, 5:53 PM Able [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Story-of-Mr-Long-tp5077232.html

Re: Story of Mr.Long....

xcinlb
Dang, Able, that's a total drag. I've had same thing happen at our shop, we fail a car they go to some shady shop and then post a bogus review on Yelp. We respond publicly that we do our job. Maybe shady owners will see that and go elsewhere. Sometimes you have to weed some out.