Supplimenting Income.

Citation Addict
Fellas

In the next few weeks my Test Only station is going to be in a world of hurt for 1 year as a result of getting a citation. At the moment we are still STAR but, that is going to be taken away once the  BAR recieves the fine and everything is finalized.

Ive been thinking about doing the fallowing:

Becoming a DMV processing center.
Selling oil if a vehicle comes in low on it.
Selling light bulbs brake lights and such.
Fuel Caps....We have not been able to because of not having a resalers license.

I have told the boss we are missing out on income as a result of not doing these things. Is there anything else I can do so I do not go under?

Re: Supplimenting Income.

Mark
Go test and repair, a lot more opportunity to get some
 more money. You don't have to fix anything you
don't wan't to. Make a deal with your local muffler shop on
having cats installed.

You can do oil changes to get people in the door.
When you change the oil look for leaks, worn belts,
do a test drive listen for squeaking brakes, cv shafts.

Re: Supplimenting Income.

Mark
A resale permit is filling out a paper at the
The Board of Equalization. Takes 1/2 hour

Re: Supplimenting Income.

smog king101
I agree . Turn to Test And Repair. The Reason I Have not Done it, Is Because My Spot Is To Small. How Many Regular Smogs Do U Need To do To Make It. Good Luck .

Re: Supplimenting Income.

timer
Test and repair. Brake and lamp inspections. Learn to tint windows. Detail. I've contemplated them all.
Total new guy

Re: Supplimenting Income.

timer
Bplakce, how many STAR test do you do in a day? I haven't been open long, less than 30 days, but I've only turned away 3 STAR cars. Of course I don't advertise I am STAR though.
Total new guy

Re: Supplimenting Income.

Re: Supplimenting Income.

Citation Addict
3-4 Star directed a day, some days I get only 1 and the rest are out of state or regular smog. As of this week I have 9 total. Imagin not having star...Do the math.....at $65 per without a coupon not including the cert. to put this into context thats 25-50% of the business.
In reality it depends on your demographic location. Im am not located in a poor area fortunately, i can only imagine those of you that are. Some of these Directed cars are on their way out. Nobody is going to drive their gas guzzling 78 Lincoln Mark 8 with the way gas prices are.

My location is way too small to be a test and repair. I couldn't even do an oil change if I wanted to. I burly have room for a large truck on the dyno.

Re: Supplimenting Income.

Karupt
Out of 11 all but one star directed. Smoke coming out of the evap machine and my timing light is never in its case any more .  On a monthly tally I believe we do 70 percent star directed .

Re: Supplimenting Income.

Citation Addict
One citation and your screwed. My buddy was a Star station for one whole day before he got his citation notice to make it worse the tech packed up and left him high and dry.

Re: Supplimenting Income.

2005, some vehicles are STAR directed. Which means, 2006-up are regular smog. No STAR status = gameover son.

Re: Supplimenting Income.

Citation Addict
Yeah I seem to notice that then in comes a 1987 Chevy Pickup and its regular smog directed. Whats up with that? Anyone else encounter that?

Re: Supplimenting Income.

kfworry
It could be an "out-of-cycle" smog test, or from a "partially enhanced"
or "basic" area zip code.
I've seen quite a few in 9-months.

Re: Supplimenting Income.

Yes, I've seen some but it's seldom.