TRUE Dual exhaust?

GrossPolluter
We hardly run into these vehicles anymore, they are mainly the earlier models with NO Catalytic converters.

From my understanding vehicles that are required Catalytic converters are NOT allowed DUAL exhaust systems and that it requires an equalizer, splitter.

I got 2 different answers from different instructors so I am confused and want to know what are your thoughts.

What vehicles are allowed to have true dual exhaust? And, how do we know its allowed on that vehicle? Nothing in the ECSA manual says anything exhaust configurations(single, dual).

Re: TRUE Dual exhaust?

Karupt
I had a 1989 jag yesterday w true dual exhausts . I think what your instructor meant by they are not allowed dual exhausts, is the MANufacturer must follow that rule , just like the 12 inch rule for OBD two connectors.  That is for the manufacturer . I do not fail cars for obd two connector being 14 inches away from the steering column nor are we expected to.

Re: TRUE Dual exhaust?

This is my personal method for determining whether or not a vehicle is dual exhaust:

If it has an 'X' or a 'Y' or an 'H' after the last cat, it's single in my book, regardless of how many mufflers or cats it has.  Otherwise, it's dual.  Over 99% of the vehicles that I test are single, by that definition.  The last dual that I clearly remember testing was an OBD1 300ZX last year.

Comments or corrections, anyone?

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: TRUE Dual exhaust?

deviationmaster
i believe catalytic converters on each bank seperately are dual, unless it meets onto one catalytic converter. Example, the chevy V8's have cats on each bank , these i consider dual, even if it meets one silencer at the back.

Re: TRUE Dual exhaust?

Troll
a bunch of the chevy road masters are true dual exhausts.
we're also ready for the jerkoff pr1 to come in and leak check our dual exhaust setup.it works.
if u have one that doesn't leak pass, then they may shut u down on the spot, so make sure it DOES work /pass leak check. tip of the day

Re: TRUE Dual exhaust?

littlemac wrote
... we're also ready for the jerkoff pr1 to come in and leak check our dual exhaust setup.it works.
if u have one that doesn't leak pass, then they may shut u down on the spot, so make sure it DOES work /pass leak check. tip of the day
http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/ET-Blast-33702-Leak-Check-Failures-tp5008991p5009017.html;cid=1389338921104-203

barrym95838
EO144107