Tampered or obscured EFN

smog frogposter
Anybody else noticing a spike on EFNs deliberately removed or made illegible? More specifically, it is the last three characters that are always removed. What are your thoughts and what would you do in this scenario where an aftermarket catalyst is installed on a California emissions vehicle with the EFN removed?

Re: Tampered or obscured EFN

Technician A
If I cannot match the EFN then I match the cert level. From your pic if the aftermarket cat matches ULEV then it is a pass for me.

Re: Tampered or obscured EFN

No One
Technician A wrote
If I cannot match the EFN then I match the cert level. From your pic if the aftermarket cat matches ULEV then it is a pass for me.
normally i would fail and require that they obtain a new label, but since a lot of labels arent being made anymore id prob do this what you are doing.

Re: Tampered or obscured EFN

BasicTech678
No One wrote
Technician A wrote
If I cannot match the EFN then I match the cert level. From your pic if the aftermarket cat matches ULEV then it is a pass for me.
normally i would fail and require that they obtain a new label, but since a lot of labels arent being made anymore id prob do this what you are doing.
 fresh cat id punt but something thats been on a while just run it. it varies case by case like everything. like a new hood with new cat hey what can you do id run it. no label or damaged label with fresh cat id avoid

Re: Tampered or obscured EFN

defective
Well, since you can still see the EVAP family number in this particular case, you can look up the corresponding EFN that goes along with it here:  https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/cert.php#6

I use control F to find engine displacement first.  6.8 would search as "6D8" - keep scrolling through results until you hit the make - "Ford"

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/files/classic//msprog/onroad/cert/pcldtmdv/2001/ford_mdv_a0100980r1_6d8_l1.pdf

EFN:   1FMXA06.8JFC
EVAP: 1FMXE155BAH

Re: Tampered or obscured EFN

If the label looks deliberately altered then I will put it in as tampered. It's a vehicle's legitimately been in a collision and the labels just missing then if I can't find the information I need in the reference book I'll send them to the referee

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Tampered-or-obscured-EFN-tp5083449.html