Tech Thread Only?

1 ... 45678910 ... 12

Re: Tech Thread Only?

none
Tone wheel may not be the right word. I also call it a reluctor ring on ABS but I'm not sure if that is the official name either.

Here is an old school picture of what I'm talking about.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

One thing I have always said is, If you know how to use a lab scope you can repair any vehicle as long as you know what the picture should look like.
I used to say that about my FLUKE 87 DVOM. With enough time and information I can diagnose any electrical issue with it but when I have a little time I'll post a story how I screwed up with that too.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Best Answer I Can Give
In 1973 when Chrysler came out with an Electronic Ignition, they called that wheel a Reluctor.

 Hell I'm not sure I'm spelling it right. Spell check doesn't know the word.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Submitted for your approval, a diagnosis of mine from earlier today, paraphrased:
2000 Toyota Tundra 4.7L.  MIL is on, DTC P0100 stored.  Traced to a burnt EFI #2 fuse -- replaced and test-drove.  MIL returned with a DTC P0135.  Further investigation revealed that the B1S1 harness was grazed by a medium-caliber bullet that (based on angle) left from the vicinity of the driver's right hip, through the floor very close to his or her right foot, and past the wire harness (ripping the red and tan wires) before bouncing off the heat shield below the driver's side exhaust manifold to parts unknown.  Repaired wiring with weather-proof (but not bullet-proof) connectors and retested -- okay.  Advised customer of the situation.
barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: Tech Thread Only?

D Rochells 150861
Damn fine work there, was that interview you did for CSI? I found a bullet shell in a Dodge Compass the other day, the girl said it came from Idaho and left it at that.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

sfosvc1
... and they make us figure it out on our own. Sigh. It would be SO MUCH easier if they were to just come in and say, "I shot my pickup truck and then it started running funny". Lol

Re: Tech Thread Only?

sfosvc1
... and D's customer just couldn't bring herself to say, "I left the lead tip in Idaho with my ex-boyfriend".

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Boy if you don't have a "Easy Rider Rifle Rack" in the back window, You ain't from around here, are ya boy?

Re: Tech Thread Only?

barrym95838 wrote
Submitted for your approval, a diagnosis of mine from earlier today, paraphrased:

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Today a 1998 Ford Econoline 5.4L comes in with P0171, P0174, P0401, and P0455.   Lots of parts thrown at it.   EGR valve, Gas Cap, Purge Valve, and MAF sensor.   The other shop told the customer that the computer probably needs to be replaced, but just to make sure, take it to the dealer and their equipment can confirm his diagnosis.

The customer works across the street and he asked if I thought I could figure out what was wrong with his van.

Where to start?  I try a bi-directional on the EGR and nothing happens.   I put my vacuum pump on it, and the engine almost dies.   I can see DPFE go up.   I check for vacuum at the solenoid, nothing.   The EVAP and EGR solenoid is fed by a vacuum tank under the passenger seat frame rail.   A 1" section of vacuum hose has rotted away.    That fixes the EGR and the EVAP, but the Fuel Trims are still over 25%.   I pinched the hose to the vacuum booster, and Fuel Trims swing the other way.

I didn't notice the vacuum leak inside the passenger compartment coming from the brake booster, because the engine cover was already partially removed and masked the sound coming from the booster.

It wasn't too bad, I just had to remove the coolant surge tank to yank the booster.

It now idles with LTFT around 5%.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

I'm renewing my A1,2,3,4,5,7 in a couple of hours.  We'll see how it goes.  I did find a rather friendly (and free) sample test suite here:

http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/

Each question has clickable background information, so if you miss a question you can study while still inside the test.  My weaknesses appear to be in Heating and A/C, but I learned something from all six that I tried.  Let's hope that it's good enough to keep my ASE Master status ... I don't want to remove it from my resumé.

Wish me luck!  At least I don't have to worry about this again:

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/How-sad-Another-great-Idea-to-cheat-a-program-to-catch-cheaters-tp5001917p5001931.html

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Well, I walked out of the test center building a couple of minutes under an hour from walking in, but only after making each and every one of those tests my biotch.  129 out of 138 correct, and a few of those nine I missed were written by a retard.

Now, on to more glamorous tasks ... gotta clean the litter boxes, stuff a few hundred pounds of clutter in the attic, diagnose my friend's squeaky wheelchair lift, and take my mother-in-law to Cal Expo Winter Wonderland.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

tampered
Congrats Michael, no surprise....I always knew you rocked, still pretty fucking amazing when you look at the big picture
Charity begins at work

Re: Tech Thread Only?

After hammering them mercilessly, I toyed with the idea of flipping them over and hammering them again, but I was trying to get out of there as quickly as possible, before someone called 911 on me for the abuse I was dishing out.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

D Rochells 150861
Those tests are way easier than actually fixing cars, especially fixing them right. After having to pull a head on a 2009 TDI I have decided I am not really a mechanic nor do I want to be and I'm not gonna renew 1,2,3,4,5,7 and 9.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

scanner
D wrote
I have decided I am not really a mechanic nor do I want to be
Me too.   A guy came in with a 2004 Acura RSX and asked if I could quote him to replace his clutch.   I just said "Nope".   If I have to stand up to grab the low hanging fruit, it's too much work.

and I'm not gonna renew 1,2,3,4,5,7 and 9.
I don't remember when I let those lapse, I never held a 9.    No one cares if you're a CMAT or not.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

D Rochells 150861
My brain has been damaged by diesel fuel, I never had 9!

Re: Tech Thread Only?

How many ASE certs are there?  25 or 30?  I'm on a fat roll right now ... maybe I'll try every one of them, and see how far I can bullshit my way through.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

D Rochells 150861
I believe there are 39 flavors

Re: Tech Thread Only?

barrym95838 wrote
 ... maybe I'll try every one of them, and see how far I can bullshit my way through.
I would say that is how I passed the ASE A9 test. I have never done any real work on a diesel with common rail injection in my life.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

D Rochells 150861
And I pray you never have to.
1 ... 45678910 ... 12