Tech Thread Only?

1 ... 6789101112

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Hopefully scanner can chime in on this, since he knows far more about Toyota EVAP systems than I do, but I wouldn't consider a light duty cycle purge at idle to be unusual in and of itself.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Re: Tech Thread Only?

I checked Identifix, and 55 out of 110 confirmed fixes for P0442 & P0455 on that platform were fuel cap replacement.  If you have enough time to shotgun a genuine Toyota fuel cap and run the EVAP monitor, that might be less costly than the alternatives.  Do you have a smoke machine?

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Re: Tech Thread Only?

D wrote
We have a 2006 Highlander in with P0441, P0455, C1201 and an SRS code. MIL, VCS, and TCS are on. I checked the Purge VSV first, it opens and closes if commanded. However, it is constantly purging a few minutes after start up although the datastream shows it is commanded closed. ALLDATA seems to imply the ECM is bad.
I've got a 2010 Corolla on Techstream and Purge VSV reports off, but the Purge Flow Pid reports 10%, so I believe what you see is normal.

The easiest way to see if there is a leak, is to just make sure the system pressures are not at ambient.   Look at the tank pressure, and then remove the gas cap, there should be a change to ambient.   If it's always at atmospheric pressure, there's a problem.

If you use a smoke machine, introduce the smoke at the vent.  If you've already checked the VSV, no sense of putting the smoke at the filler neck. Pinch off the fresh air duct going to the canister, the smoke machine will override the check valves if you don't.

EDIT:  I've haven't had power at the shop until a little while ago, I would have responded sooner

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Re: Tech Thread Only?

D wrote
The pressure is stuck around .52 at all times. Our Autel and a Modis did not show the duty cycle.
The vehicle probably doesn't support the pid, here's a screenshot using an Autel Maxisys on a 2010 Corolla.

Now for the fun part, where is the vapor/fuel tank pressure sensor? My research leads me to believe it is on top of the fuel tank, based on the part number and it's similarity to a GM sensor. ALLDATA and googledata are no help.
It's been my experience that most Toyotas have the sensor mounted next to the canister.  Can't miss it, one hose, 3 wires.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

D wrote
The dealer is pretty convinced there is no such beast and it is part of the vacuum pump wannabe Chrylser canister module.
Ah heck, it's an on board setup.   Yes, the sensor is part of the vacuum pump.  It's very testable with a Techstream.    I've never done it with the Autel, and I don't know if it'll do an on board test.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

We just got a Maxisys Pro a couple of weeks ago.  It seems pretty cool, but I haven't had much time to explore all the functionality.  As delivered, I can testify that it does a good job on Hyundais and a piss-poor job on Suzukis.  It also arrived with several OBD-1 adapters, but no EEC-IV ... wtf?!?!?!

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Re: Tech Thread Only?

scanner
D wrote
I could vent and purge only. The Autel is pretty nice but it has some little problems.
I looked at Alldata, and it's a pretty simple system.   You could put a hand vacuum pump at the purge solenoid.   Pinch the hose just after charcoal canister filter before it goes up the filler neck.  If the system holds vacuum on the pump gauge, but the sensor pid doesn't move, you got a bad sensor.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

barrym95838 wrote
We just got a Maxisys Pro a couple of weeks ago.  It seems pretty cool,
I think it's a pretty cool scanner.   It does a lot.  It fires up pretty quickly. I like it a lot.   However, nothing beats using factory tooling.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Was it the V-6?  I did one like that last month.  The cheap-ass replacement intake gasket didn't come with the rubber grommets that go on the bolts, so I told my boss to get them for me, because that was the only way to get proper clamping.  Happy ending ... good thing too, because the customer lives two houses down from mine, and I wasn't looking forward to the "evil eye" every day if it didn't meet expectations.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Customer came from another shop that recommended that all ignition coils have to be replaced.   He came to me for a second opinion.   The vehicle had P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, and P0353.  The P0353 directly points to the cylinder 3 coil, but the customer wanted my assurance that replacing just that coil would repair the problem.   I showed him the waveform captured from his Lexus, and for some reason, couldn't get what was missing.  The guy must have been visually impaired or something.   Eventually I convinced the customer to trust me, to replace the coil, and go from there.   Changing the coil fixed the problem.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

That tiny amount of extra-curricular activity on #6 isn't enough for concern, I expect ...

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Scanner I try to stay away from these. It has gone past me so far and fast. But I am going to side with the customer.
I KNOW what I am looking at. And I know that it's not right. But how much not right I can't say.
The problem is, What is a good pattern and what is a bad pattern? Any Idiot can pick up and hook up a Lab Scope. Just what is the picture suppose to look like.

 My wife looks a Xrays. I see nothing. She sees fluid in a lung. Unless you know what is good and bad, do you really know what to look for?
1 ... 6789101112