Tech Thread Only?

1 ... 9101112

Re: Tech Thread Only?

AllData seems to be down this morning, and Direct Hit isn't being especially helpful on this one, so I'll throw it out here and see what sticks.

2004 Infiniti I35.  Idles nice, but freaks out when I try to drive it (or even just rev it up in Park).  TCS and ABS lights come on and the RPMs suddenly become limited to about 1500 rpm.  When this happens, it won't return all the way to idle and it sets a P0507.  P1610 and P1615 have a habit of popping up frequently too.

Here's the strange part; it seems to behave much, much better if an electrical load kicks on, like the headlights or the radiator fan.  It will even "fix" itself on-the-fly when that occurs, turning off the malfunction lights and revving and idling normally, at least until the electrical load is shut off and the engine is revved again.  Charging system?  System grounds?  WTF!?!?

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Re: Tech Thread Only?

I don't think it has a throttle cable.  My old Matco Determinator claims that it can do functional tests on this vehicle, but it barfs when I try.  It's at a friend's shop, so I'll have to put a plan together to get it to meet up with my boss' Maxisys somehow or other ...

Re: Tech Thread Only?

INLANDSMOG
Voltage issue, yep. Ground, Supply, 5V, Etc.....

Re: Tech Thread Only?

How about this one?  "Bulma", my '99 Esteem Wagon, has been very well behaved over the last several thousand miles, but has recently misfired badly on three occasions.  The first two occasions lasted for 0.9 miles and the third for only 0.1 miles, and all three were triggered by a warm-restart in the BelAir parking lot at the corner of Sunrise and Cirby in Roseville.  I retrieved a P0303 after the first occurrence, so I did some ignition part swapping to see if I could get the misfire to move to a different cylinder.  The second and third occurrences weren't bad enough to throw any DTCs, although they felt just as bad to me.  I have an aversion to replacing good parts, so I guess I'll have to wait until I can get a DTC, or at least some Mode $06 data.  Unless any of y'all have any other ideas besides just keeping her away from Roseville.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Well, I arranged a meeting between the Infiniti and my boss' Maxisys.  Based on the VIN (JNKDA31A84T208007) the scanner insists that the car is a 2004 G20, and won't take NO for an answer, but I was able to get a bit more info and less nonsense.  The best tid-bit came from the BlueTooth VCI, which reported the system voltage at 18.82V @ idle.  I confirmed this with my old carbon pile tester (+/- 0.2V).  It looks like the alternator is the root cause of all the mischief, just like that old Thunderchicken I told Midnightdrummer about awhile back.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

scanner
barrym95838 wrote
Well, I arranged a meeting between the Infiniti and my boss' Maxisys.  Based on the VIN (JNKDA31A84T208007) the scanner insists that the car is a 2004 G20,
It should be a 2004 I35

I just updated my Maxisys Infiniti/Nissan for VIN analysis, maybe now it'll work properly.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Re: Tech Thread Only?

@scanner:  so yours was decoding VINs inaccurately as well?

@D:  there was a MIL.  It just had misleading DTCs, and it was my responsibility to "check the basics first".

Re: Tech Thread Only?

scanner
barrym95838 wrote
@scanner:  so yours was decoding VINs inaccurately as well?
No, I haven't had any problems lately, but I haven't done many Nissans.   The Update description stated that it was for VIN analysis.   There must have been a lot of complaints about that function.

I have had problems with the scanner operation too. (Duh)  I had a 2008 FX35 that needed a new radiator fan assembly.  I couldn't turn the fan relays on through all the speeds with the Autel, but a SnapOn scanner had no problems performing the function.   The Autel is okay, but sometimes you can't depend on all of the functions it's supposed to do.   I guess you don't complain much when the subscription is less thank $1K a year.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

1 ... 9101112