Tech Thread Only?

12345678 ... 12

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Midnightdrummer
barrym95838 wrote
Does your work have a Solus too, Midnight?  I still have all of the OBD-1 adapters for my Solus, but I can't use them because some n-word stole my freshly-updated Solus and OBD-2 adapter from the shop about six years ago, and I've given up hope on being able to recover it.  I'll box up everything I have and USPS all of it to your home address ... just say the word, and it's yours, gratis.
They have a Solus Ultra. I would gladly buy them from you when I get some extra cash Barry. I plan to pick up another brick when I get my Snap On debt paid.

scanner wrote
Dude, you have no business trying to repair that vehicle with only a paper clip and a Google search.
Hey man I am working with what I have in front of me. If I had it my way I'd still have my own scanner, or at least work for a shop that took repair seriously, but hey that's life.

scanner wrote
To do the driveability part, you need to be able to view at least Block Learn, Integrator, and O2 data, under different conditions.
I will get a hold of a brick and check them out. If the ECM will even communicate that is. Ill update with what I see.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Midnightdrummer wrote
... I would gladly buy them from you when I get some extra cash Barry ...
I would gladly give them to you for free if you had an immediate and legitimate use for them, my brother.  Say the word, and they're yours.

I'm getting ready to send my old Franklin Ace 2200 to a 6502.org member in Tennessee.  My attic is full of stuff that I will never use again, but most of it isn't completely worthless, so I feel bad throwing any of it away.  I would much rather find proper homes for the stuff than just toss it.

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: Tech Thread Only?

scanner
barrym95838 wrote
I'm getting ready to send my old Franklin Ace 2200 to a 6502.org member in Tennessee.  My attic is full of stuff that I will never use again, but most of it isn't completely worthless, so I feel bad throwing any of it away.  I would much rather find proper homes for the stuff than just toss it.

barrym95838
EO/EI144107
I have a Kaypro II at the shop.  I don't have a boot disk and I don't know CP/M.   I hear it's very similar to MS-DOS.   I was thinking of gutting the whole thing and putting a Linux based inside the shell.  I doubt that the Kaypro would be worth anything to anybody except a collector.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

scanner wrote
... except a collector.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/kaypro

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: Tech Thread Only?

scanner
Thanks for that link.   $20 for boot disks and some apps sounds like it would be worth trying to get it to boot up.   Probably couldn't get it to print out to something though.   All my dot matrix printers are gone.  I have no idea if the output is serial or parallel.

I still have a Commodore 64 gaming system with an external hard drive.   I should break it out and see if everything still works.   I've forgotten all of the BASIC disc commands for that system.   I'm sure they're just a Google search away.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Midnightdrummer
Man you guys had it rough. I'm only old enough to remember the original Nintendo and the Sega. The fact you still have that stuff is pretty awesome.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

1999 Lexus RX300. 198,000 miles. Towed in, no crank. Customer states MIL has been on for 5 months since he received from previous owner, who stated it has always been on

Had 4 or 5 codes. Random misfire, Cyl #4 misfire, #4 igniter. Cat efficiency too.

Starter cranks with power applied. No power at starter fuse with ignition at start.

Fuel pump does not prime.

All fuses good.

Time passes...check codes again, no communication. MIL does not light KOEO. AM2 fuse has blown, blows replacement KOEO. Gonna pull the ignition switch next.

Now I have intermittent PCM communication, flip the key around and it communicates again. AND, it even communicates with the key in the initial position.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

I'm not sure if it's applicable to your situation, but I am reminded of a Sienna from a few years back.  The rear motor mount had deteriorated to the point that the engine had sagged down close to the steering rack, and the HO2S bank 1 sensor wiring had rubbed through on it, shorting the heater circuit.  It usually happened when accelerating, but it would occasionally do it at start up as well.

It's also a common occurrence here to find loose or disconnected grounds at the back side of the intake manifold.  Strange and not-so-wonderful things can happen as a result of flaky grounds.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

D wrote
1999 Lexus RX300.

Time passes...check codes again, no communication. MIL does not light KOEO. AM2 fuse has blown, blows replacement KOEO. Gonna pull the ignition switch next.
If this wiring diagram is accurate, I'd look at the injectors if AM2 blew.

AM2 1999 Lexus RX300

Re: Tech Thread Only?

D Rochells 150861
Well, once again I should have just checked the basics. #4 spark plug hole was stripped, coil had melted and was causing AM2 fuse to blow. With #4 coil unplugged it started.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Thank you AllData and TSB 00-080A!

2000 Sentra.  The owner is a nice guy, and he's been trying to describe his symptoms even though English is not his first language.  It took two tries, but I think that I finally got it figured out.

The owner mentioned high RPMs on the freeway, and a stall after about 30 minutes of continuous freeway driving, requiring him to pull over and wait about 30 minutes before it would restart.

The first time it came in, I couldn't duplicate any of the symptoms at all.  Naturally driving on the freeway for 30 minutes, expecting another 30 minute wait before I can get back to the shop isn't the best way to be a productive smog tech, but I had a MIL, so I decided to pursue it from that angle.  There were several codes, but they all wound up as dead ends, and I was even able to drive-cycle all of the monitors except EVAP after clearing them, with no fresh codes, pending or otherwise.  I had to give it back to the customer.

He came back a few days later with the same complaint, and the boss told him that we'd check everything over again.  This time , there was a P0335, which matched the stalling symptom quite well.  A replacement crankshaft position sensor was installed, and I gave it a test drive.  This test drive, I noticed that the transmission was stuck in third gear, and refused to use first, second, or fourth, even when I tried to manually downshift with the lever.  It was looking kind of bad for the transmission and/or computer, but I decided to give the TSBs a look ...

TSB 00-080A fit my symptom to a tee, even though it seemed to be a rather retarded limp-in strategy.  If the system voltage drops below 8.0V for any reason, even during cranking, the transmission computer gives up trying to shift for that entire key cycle, without displaying any visible warning that it has given up.

The car started every time, but it did crank over a bit slowly.  I traced it to a weak cell in the battery.  It always provided enough current to start, and the alternator was able to charge it fine, but it did dip to 8V during cranking, right at that magic (but retarded IMO) voltage threshold.  There was about a 50/50 chance that the transmission would shift or not after any given crank and go.

Replaced the battery ... problem appears to be solved.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

none
The Dodge diesel Sprinter vans do something similar when the battery is weak. The engine will start fine but the transmission ECU will go into a limp mode and be stuck in second gear because the voltage went too low during cranking. It won't throw a check engine light or anything either and you can't get transmission information with any scan tools for Mercedes other than the factory one.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

How about this head-scratcher?  1995 S-10 4.3L VIN Z M/T.  High NOx at ASM 5015.

I hooked up my trusty Determinator for live data, and got it.  But it looks like I'm getting screwed over by the PCM programming:  there is 0% duty cycle on the EGR until the exact moment I cross over from 24 MPH to 25 MPH, then everything works great.  If I slowly ease off the throttle, the EGR stays active until the exact moment that I cross over from 20 MPH to 19 MPH, then it goes to 0%, and won't come back on until I accelerate back up to exactly 25 MPH.

It does the same thing in second gear or third.  WTF?  Adding to the fun is the massive slick it leaves on the floor from a leaky engine oil cooler line ... maybe if I "diagnose" it long enough for it to eventually run dry, I won't have to worry about it anymore ...

Re: Tech Thread Only?

D Rochells 150861
Replace vehicle with a known good one?

Re: Tech Thread Only?

barrym95838 wrote
How about this head-scratcher?  1995 S-10 4.3L VIN Z M/T.  High NOx at ASM 5015.

It does the same thing in second gear or third.  WTF?
WTF, indeed!

If you have the time, disconnect the VSS and record the EGR pids.   It's not going to give you a direction as to resolving the NOx issue, I just want to see what happens.

There's probably nothing wrong with the S10.   It's probably just like that 98 "S" platform Taurus.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Direct Hit (TM) has kindly offered me the "re-flash" silver bullet.  We can't re-flash here, so I'll advise the boss.  If I get a chance, I'll see if I can check the EGR signal with no VSS input, but I can't make any promises.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

This one came in Friday.   They wanted the 2003 Camry to pass it's smog inspection.  It failed for P0441 and P0446.

I did some preliminary checks, and performed the manual mode evap test within Techstream Lite.

I called the consumer, and he insisted that he buy the part that I had recommend to replace.   I bumped my labor a bit to replace the part, and the consumer agreed.   I installed the part, and here's the results from the manual mode evap test.

I ran all the monitors except the EVAP on Friday, and I ran the EVAP monitor this morning.  I don't open weekends.

You probably have to scroll over to see the monitor go to "Complete"

Questions?

What did I change?

Barry and None, just sit out for a little bit.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Are twelve hours long enough?

I haven't had the pleasure of using a Techstream, but I can see that it does an effective job in the hands of a master.  Can you label the different sections on the "pre-repair" graph for us?

From what I can see, it has no problem drawing a vacuum, so a blocked or disconnected purge VSV is off the table.  There are some rather sudden pressure changes, which to me indicates that the bypass VSV is working, so I think that's off the table too.  I am seeing one section near the middle where the vacuum is decaying much too rapidly, immediately followed by a section where the vacuum is decaying normally.  I can only assume that one section is measuring canister decay and the other is measuring tank decay, but I'm not familiar enough with the manual mode test to know which is which on your graph.  Knowing which one appears to be decaying too quickly would narrow my search down, at least somewhat.

TLDR; I'm not ready to draw any conclusions yet, mostly due to my lack of familiarity with the Techstream data.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

scanner
barrym95838 wrote
Are twelve hours long enough?
Yeah, that's enough time.   Thanks for responding.

I haven't had the pleasure of using a Techstream, but I can see that it does an effective job in the hands of a master.  Can you label the different sections on the "pre-repair" graph for us?

Techstream usually gives you 2 options when performing a "Service Bay Test".   One is Automated, and the other is Manual mode.   The automated test was greyed out, and not available.   As you "scroll" through the manual test, Techstream tells you which of the 3 solenoids active, and what state they are in.

When you look across the pre-repair graph, the switches happened every 30 seconds.  Those are the flags.   That interval is controlled by me, and I do it that way from my experience using the software.     If you look at the fix graph, you can see 2 flags that are about ~2-4 seconds after a flag.  I commanded the switch and purge on, but the PCM shut off vacuum to the system to prevent any damage.

From what I can see, it has no problem drawing a vacuum, so a blocked or disconnected purge VSV is off the table.  There are some rather sudden pressure changes, which to me indicates that the bypass VSV is working, so I think that's off the table too.  I am seeing one section near the middle where the vacuum is decaying much too rapidly, immediately followed by a section where the vacuum is decaying normally.  I can only assume that one section is measuring canister decay and the other is measuring tank decay, but I'm not familiar enough with the manual mode test to know which is which on your graph.  Knowing which one appears to be decaying too quickly would narrow my search down, at least somewhat.
I think you nailed it pretty well.

TLDR; I'm not ready to draw any conclusions yet, mostly due to my lack of familiarity with the Techstream data.
Rightly so.  I put up a minimum of relevant data  The preliminary tests I performed were the checks on the 3 solenoids to make sure they operated properly using the bi-directional controls provided by Techstream.    I then pinched off the canister vent at the canister, and placed my smoke machine/flow meter at the closed canister solenoid at the air cleaner.    I verified that there were no leaking solenoids, hoses, o-rings, or gas cap.  The system is intact.  The flow meter showed no decay, and at that point I knew I could trust the results of the Techstream manual test.

Re: Tech Thread Only?

Well, I'm going to push forward, although I must confess that scanner has already privately told me the answer.  Looking at the EVAP diagram, I can see that the pressure sensor is connected to the tank, and cannot be switched to the canister by itself:

There was rapid decay from one configuration, but not from the other.  Since the tank is always in the mix, the source of the decay had to be from the canister.  Scanner had no (pressure) leaks with the mechanical relief valve "air drain" pinched off, but there was a (vacuum) leak with everything commanded closed, so the mechanical relief valve "air drain" moves straight to the front of the list of suspects.  Scanner actually replaced the canister assembly with the relief valve, and the car was fixed.

I really enjoy these puzzles, and I want to encourage others here to participate so we don't discourage scanner and others from posting more case studies.

12345678 ... 12