Test and repair with test only license?

honesttech
Is this possible? one of the repair shop in my area has a star test only license not test and repair

Re: Test and repair with test only license?

Thick6
There is a test only here in town that is also a tire shop. I'm not sure if their not allowed any repairs or just not allowed smog repairs. I would like to open a test only but I also want to do A/C repairs if it is allowed.

Re: Test and repair with test only license?

It is totally allowed . Just no emmissions repairs . You can sell surfboards if youd like .(in reply to autostudent only )

Re: Test and repair with test only license?

honesttech wrote
Is this possible? one of the repair shop in my area has a star test only license not test and repair
In order for that shop to be a T&R, there has to be a tech with an "EI" license.   It should be an easy task to verify whether or not the tech listed at the station has both an "EO" and "EI" license.

deezknutsrus wrote
It is totally allowed . Just no emmissions repairs . You can sell surfboards if youd like .
Right, Currently, Tire shops do not require an ARD.

Back in the day, "TBA" was like selling slurpees.   There is legislation going on to bring Tire Shops and the AAA mobile battery service in to having an ARD.   Since 2008 all vehicles are required to have TPMS, and that would require specialized equipment to service.    The AAA mobile services have hand helds that perform charging and starting diagnosis, not just selling batteries outright.

Re: Test and repair with test only license?

D Rochells 150861
AAA puts battery hold downs back on at a higher rate than most ARDs, I hope that doesn't change once the BAR infects them.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Test and repair with test only license?

scanner
D wrote
AAA puts battery hold downs back on at a higher rate than most ARDs, I hope that doesn't change once the BAR infects them.
Where the heck did that stat come from?   That is so obscure.   Who the hell tracks stuff like that?

Re: Test and repair with test only license?

justa
Banned User

Re: Test and repair with test only license?

scanner
just another shop owner wrote
It's not a Stat, it's just what you see.

 In my area they never put it back on. I truly wonder how many batteries get sold by low paid help.
Maybe AAA members actually have a hold down to replace?

It would appear to me, most AAA members have well maintained vehicles.   The only time AAA replaces the battery is when the client is stuck on the road.   Why wouldn't the the AAA replace the hold down?

I can see the poor schmuck that is stuck on the road without AAA service.   He only wants to get off the highway, and get back on the road.   Pull that battery, throw in the new one, and get back on the road.   Hold down, what hold down?

Re: Test and repair with test only license?

I feel the impartial eye of the Test Only inspector is put to great waste not noting other needed repairs. I worry about the cars well being when I see mistreatment and I let the owners know what I see during the smog.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Test and repair with test only license?

Well, what I see reflects local affluent shops not giving a damn when it gets into their hands. No hold down, thats a paddlin, no cooling system pressure, thats a paddlin, no firm brake pedal, you better believe thats a damn paddlin.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Test and repair with test only license?

just another shop owner wrote
 Yes AAA member's do keep there vehicles better. And YES lots of no hold downs on ARD shop's
D wrote
Well, what I see reflects local affluent shops not giving a damn when it gets into their hands. No hold down, thats a paddlin
That certainly is an indictment of our industry.   So, in other words, as Walt Kelly said, "We have met the enemy, and they are us"

Re: Test and repair with test only license?

honesttech
then why have emission repair license anyways? I bet that guy is doing emission repair without repair license..this is bullshit

Re: Test and repair with test only license?

dmlusmc
I think If you have the real ASE a6,a8 and L1 you should be allowed to do smog repairs.

Re: Test and repair with test only license?

kfworry
Why do you think the BAR gives us a "choice" to be a Test Only OR Test and Repair shop,
even though we are "licensed Test and Repair"?

Licensed Test and Repair Technicians have a choice to work at a Test Only
or Test and Repair shop.

 I am sorry honest tech, I think your original question was not answered straightfortwith, The answer to can you do EMMISSIONS REPAIRS WITHOUT A TEST AND REPAIR LICENCE?? IS A NO ! the BAR requires us to get the T and R licence at a cost of about another 200.00 a year .They also need to come in and inspect the test only that is becoming a T and R . for proper equipment and proper techs .

Re: Test and repair with test only license?

D wrote
AAA puts battery hold downs back on at a higher rate than most ARDs, I hope that doesn't change once the BAR infects them.
  ONce the BAR brings them into their fold (and into their coffers) the AAA industry will be thrown in to the STAR metric and will be given a SVFR  according to how many battery hold downs they forgot to install and an FPR if the batteries do not make it past two years .

Re: Test and repair with test only license?

NO REPAIR can be performed at a TEST ONLY except for a few minor repairs listed in the SMOG CHECK REFERENCE GUIDE. page 1-9 http://smogcheck.ca.gov/pdf/Smog_Check_Reference_Guide.pdf

Station Definitions
1.2.0
Test Only Stations

Test Only stations are licensed to conduct Smog Check inspections only.
No repairs or diagnoses can be performed on vehicles at a Test Only station, except for those minor repairs listed below.  There shall be no charge to the customer for these minor repairs.

Minor repairs of components damaged by station personnel during the inspection at the station;

Minor repair that is necessary for the safe operation of the vehicle while at the station;

Minor repairs, such as the reconnection of hoses or vacuum lines.

Re: Test and repair with test only license?

D Rochells 150861
Ok, now go read the HS section in the yellow book and see what they define as a repair and what is excluded. For example cleaning and adjusting spark plugs is ok at test only because it is considered maintenance.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Test and repair with test only license?

none
D, Do you have a link by chance?

When I had changed to a T/O a few years ago I was told I could only do oil changes and no other work including A/C work.