Test only Techs or test only owners?

007
What is the average pay for test only techs? Do you work more then forty hours a week and if so are you paid at time and a half?
Al

Re: Test only Techs or test only owners?

Al
manager/tech 38 hours per week, 9.5 hours per day, 4 day work week, no overtime, 27 per hour
regular tech 37 hours per week, 9.5 hours per day except sat(8.5 hours), no overtime, 24 per hour

have a friend working for smogngo
he gets 20 per hour, 10 hour days, 2 hours OT everyday. 4 day work week

Re: Test only Techs or test only owners?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Paid my guy Salary. Based on $25 times 40 hour week. Saturday is $15 a car.

Re: Test only Techs or test only owners?

007
did he work 40 hours or more for the salary?

Re: Test only Techs or test only owners?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Salary. Hours? Whats that?
Trouble with salary,they can work you a Million Hours. It's a pay per week\day\year.

 My guy was based on a 9\80 8 days 9 hours. One day 8 hours. 80 in two weeks. He got every other Friday off,

Re: Test only Techs or test only owners?

Trouble with salary,they can work you a Million Hours. It's a pay per week\day\year.
Salaried employees are not automatically exempted from overtime requirements
If everyone fixed their own cars, my car would be fixed.

Re: Test only Techs or test only owners?

007
Let me rephrase the question a little bit, i have an employee works 54 hours a week. Test only and he thinks i should pay him 70k per year. What are your thoughts?

Re: Test only Techs or test only owners?

Best Answer I Can Give
 What does he bring to the shop?
If he walks out, how screwed are you?

 Not in today's market. To many guys will work for less.

 Hell I think we are worth @ 80K a year 40 Hrs a week.

 Bar Fucked that one up by letting any mouth breather get the golden ticket.

Re: Test only Techs or test only owners?

That sounds about right to me. You can find a lot of ratios out there for repair shop management. They will tell you that at $70k he should bring in $140K-$210K gross. It will depend on your profit margin and who's ratios you look at.

You also just have to decide for yourself, is he good and you want to keep him and he keeps the stress low and customers coming back or he is replaceable?

Re: Test only Techs or test only owners?

Kriss Vector

Re: Test only Techs or test only owners?

none
I guess it depends on the market. I am east of Sacramento.

You manage the shop too and get about $16.50/hr?

Re: Test only Techs or test only owners?

Kriss Vector

Re: Test only Techs or test only owners?

none
How many lanes(or smog bays)? If it is just you doing smogs I would open my own shop in a minute. If there are two of you guys doing 20-30 a day but the shop grosses $300K a year I would say the prices are low and its doable but not ideal.

Re: Test only Techs or test only owners?

fartvalve
What worked for me to get a raise was to give a 2 week notice.
I have chronic pain because stupid hurts!

16.5 an hour??? Kcuf that! I would take my fat ass to Walmart.
I have chronic pain because stupid hurts!

Re: Test only Techs or test only owners?

Kriss Vector wrote
I'm a manager/tech working 56 hours a week, smogging 20-30 cars a day making just under 50k. I am getting lowballed.
That doesn't seem fair to me.  I make 52K polishing turds and inspecting about 50 cars per 47-hour week.  And I have had a shitty attitude almost every day since January 2012, when the STAR program notified me (and the rest of the world) that I was a worthless loser.

Re: Test only Techs or test only owners?

ThePharmacist
Are we talking about solo tech shops or 2 tech's and a service writer or 1 tech and a service writer

Re: Test only Techs or test only owners?

I have a service writer at all times, or I just turn people away.

Re: Test only Techs or test only owners?

ThePharmacist
Oh the reason why I asked is because I'm sure you would get paid differently based around being solo or not

Re: Test only Techs or test only owners?

Understood.  My shop is too big for one person to supervise, and I don't have the slightest clue how to run the work order software.