That cause the car to fail smog?

joemister
Next door repair shop(can't perform emission failure repair, that's another story all together).  Had a regular customer coming complain her car failed, I walk by the car, shop owner point out the trans dip stick missing, thus car failed by the other smog guy.

I just shook my head, smile and walk away.  Great smog program we got here!

Re: That cause the car to fail smog?

Best Answer I Can Give
 This has been hammer out before.

 In truth? ATF is a oil. It gets HOT. It can make HC in the air. So? Well? Could be? Maybe? How bad do you want to keep the customer?

 Me? No fail. I would make sure and tell the person to get it replaced. The dirt that can be sucked up, will it help the trans?

Re: That cause the car to fail smog?

joemister
Someone had their FPR dinged because the definition of pass/fail is different.

Re: That cause the car to fail smog?

...In truth? ATF is a oil. It gets HOT. It can make HC in the air...
You are kidding right
If that was the case diesel vehicles would need evap systems rather than just fuel tank vents.

Re: That cause the car to fail smog?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Hey get any oil hot enough at it will make smoke.

Re: That cause the car to fail smog?

We only care about smoke from non-hybrid pcv or crankcase, anything else actually cleans the air according to BAR.

Re: That cause the car to fail smog?

Any liquid above -273°C has a non-zero vapor pressure.  It's up to us to decide if it's significant or not.

Re: That cause the car to fail smog?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Thank You Mr. Barry.
Damn near anything will SMOKE.
 If they were really fucking Serious, Evaps would not be allowed small leaks. The Trans dip stick would be a fail.
If it hold HC it would be contained 100%

 None I'm not joking. The fucking well this is OK and this is not. Now that's the JOKE. The question would be a NON QUESTION.

Re: That cause the car to fail smog?

D Rochells 150861
Yes, all repair work needs to be in an sealed facility and have it's air scrubbed. Also the techs need to wear fully enclosed breather suits to protect their cilia.

Re: That cause the car to fail smog?

none
Maybe we should ban smoking in California, cigarettes and pot. Smoking is bad for the air. Stop sport shooting too. The pointless shooting of fire arms is bad for the air too. Lets ban all motorsports. Lets bad all recreational sports like basketball games and football games since people had to travel to get to them and there is no "zero emissions" form of travel. Lets even ban bicycles since they cause pollution too by manufacturing them and tire and brake wear.

Transmissions and your differential are vented to atmosphere anyway. It isn't sealed under pressure like the fuel tank is.

Re: That cause the car to fail smog?

Best Answer I Can Give
 And None you point out the Bullshit of this program.

 So much other stuff can and will put crap in the air. But will it be stopped? Hell No.

 OIL IS A HC pure and simple. Shooting puts crap in the air. Smoking puts crap in the air.

 But your guy fucks up. Passes a UC and Holy Shit You have killed the Pope.

 Just the this is OK this because you are a little man we can screw the hell out of you. Try losing your Star for a year. See how you think.
Your man made a mistake. BAR, AQMD, EPA, all the alphabets can make mistakes. Let little bits of HC out all day. But miss one UC and you are fucked for a year. Kiss half of the cars good bye. Damn near lose your business, or lose it because a mistake has been made. And then tell me I'm nuts.

 Just the horseshit of this program. The fact that the question got asked. The fact that someone screws someones FPR.
No straight answers. Why? Because we might be held accountable. We might make a mistake. And will we lose our way of feeding our family? HELL NO.

 I guess I'm just tired of questions getting asked and not a straight answer.
Is it a HC? Yes Should it be contained? YES. Why isn't it IT'S A HYDROCARBON and they help make dirty air.

Re: That cause the car to fail smog?

smwalker
  A fair number of cars have transmission vent lines that are open to the atmosphere.  We supposed to cap those when they cross the border to CA?

Re: That cause the car to fail smog?

The oil dipstick missing is a fail cause it is part of the emissions system. A trans dipstick is not, period.

Re: That cause the car to fail smog?

Best Answer I Can Give
 JM, THANKS.
You pointed out the PURE STUPIDITY of this whole MESS.

 Someones FPR takes a hit because some IDIOT fails it for a missing NON Emission Component.
Trouble is the man is not stupid. You can argue that trans fluid is a HC and should be kept in check.

 My whole problem with all this? A person who may be SMART or STUPID can mess with the way you feed your family.

Re: That cause the car to fail smog?

JM, THANKS.
You pointed out the PURE STUPIDITY of this whole MESS.

 Someones FPR takes a hit because some IDIOT fails it for a missing NON Emission Component.
Trouble is the man is not stupid. You can argue that trans fluid is a HC and should be kept in check.

 My whole problem with all this? A person who may be SMART or STUPID can mess with the way you feed your family.
How will a dip stick do this when the transmission has a VENT anyway?

This is a part of the problem with TEST ONLY. People who don't work on cars don't really know how stuff works. There was a test only near me who would fail every car that came in. He would fail for vacuum hoses hooked up wrong when both ports were intake manifold vacuum. Switching them would make no difference on how thing operated. He is closed up now.

Re: That cause the car to fail smog?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Thank you again, A IDIOT FUCKS up a way you feed your family. Ding goes the last guys FPR