The #2 Smog Producing Shop in California Got Popped for Clean Plugging

The #2 Smog Producing Shop in California Got Popped for Clean Plugging

BlueSky
The #2 producing smog shop in California, Enviro Smog Test got popped for clean plugging.
https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/accusations/tc-279862_2017_09_07_acc.pdf

Re: The #2 Smog Producing Shop in California Got Popped for Clean Plugging

tampered
Hey, at least they were nice enough to use vehicles they had previously certified making it easier for enforcement to match up the data!
If everyone fixed their own cars, my car would be fixed.

Re: The #2 Smog Producing Shop in California Got Popped for Clean Plugging

Best Answer I Can Give
 What I find interesting is, looking at the cheaters License number, they always seem like a high number. People who just got the licence.

 That kid at the dog and pony show for the OIS, "I'm going to make big bucks"
 Sorry to you that I have not offended. Give me time. I will get to you.

Re: The #2 Smog Producing Shop in California Got Popped for Clean Plugging

..."I'm going to make big bucks"
He did I'm sure. If I did my math right on his IGS score he did 1,000/month on the dyno. Lets say he as the tech got $100 each. He made $100,000 every month just on the ones that ran on the dyno. Now figure the ones that got a TSI test and all the OIS clean plugs he did.

Re: The #2 Smog Producing Shop in California Got Popped for Clean Plugging

Using a Durango to clean-plug a Jetta?!?!  These assholes might be the stupidest clean-pluggers in CA!  Of course, we'll never be able to rate the smartest clean-pluggers, because those assholes will never be more than a fleeting blip on the VID's radar.

Re: The #2 Smog Producing Shop in California Got Popped for Clean Plugging

locopoco
So I'm pleased that BAR caught couple of stations despite the fact that they know OIS checks for eVIN  every time we do the test and were practically dumb enough to do it,but what I want to see more is the guys that use simulators to pass cars,where are those stations? I know for a fact, at least one shop near me who does that.

Re: The #2 Smog Producing Shop in California Got Popped for Clean Plugging

none
There was one posted the other day where the guy mixed up the letter O and number 0 on the eVIN.

Re: The #2 Smog Producing Shop in California Got Popped for Clean Plugging

The simple simulators have a digital footprint that should be easy to recognize.  The more sophisticated simulators would be much more difficult to recognize.  I have never seen one, but I'm relatively certain that they exist.  The idea would be to configure the illegal hardware to simulate a typical OIS session and store the responses of the non-passing vehicle, including response times and whatnot.  Afterward, the stored data could be edited to pass, and then the illegal hardware could be turned around and configured to simulate the vehicle during an official OIS test.  If the OIS made an unexpected request, the inspection could be aborted or simply timed out.

I certainly don't condone this type of activity, and would never even consider participating in it.  I'm just saying that the little computer engineer in my head has no difficulty imagining a nearly undetectable method.

Re: The #2 Smog Producing Shop in California Got Popped for Clean Plugging

locopoco
Thats the one I'm talking about,the more sophisticated OBD SIM's. it's a pass through device same like the DAD but one could manipulate the MIL from On to OFF and the rest of the info,eVin,PID's ,goes through unchanged.
By the way I heard all of this from another Tech, while attending an update class back in 2015 and the asking price back then was $12000

Re: The #2 Smog Producing Shop in California Got Popped for Clean Plugging

smog man
Does anybody know if your Technician score is effected, if working at a station, that got caught clean plugging around the same time?

Re: The #2 Smog Producing Shop in California Got Popped for Clean Plugging

BasicTech678
smog man wrote
no but you probably notice a homeless guy hanging around or a abandon cleaning van with in eye view of the shop

Re: The #2 Smog Producing Shop in California Got Popped for Clean Plugging

Best Answer I Can Give
 Around here they had a Pick Up with a refrigerator box in the back. Put the camera in the box.
PR told me that one. He also told me they did it twice on me.
 Sorry to you that I have not offended. Give me time. I will get to you.

Re: The #2 Smog Producing Shop in California Got Popped for Clean Plugging

The homeless guy would blend in pretty well around here.