This Vs That

Johnnybeme
The new software version fixes the second page printing when no recall is due! Yipee!! But now we have to include engine family numbers in the test. Tit for tat.

Re: This Vs That

Kevin
Just a new beta program,  not the first one

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020, 2:43 PM Johnnybeme [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
The new software version fixes the second page printing when no recall is due! Yipee!! But now we have to include engine family numbers in the test. Tit for tat.

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/This-Vs-That-tp5081649.html

Re: This Vs That

Johnnybeme
I was beta station way back when OIS started, am I still? Do you have to document EFN's? Do you have this new software?

Re: This Vs That

none
You'd know if you were a BETA station for the OIS programs. It reconfigures every time you restart the OIS screen.

Re: This Vs That

Johnnybeme
So none are you having to input EFN's?

Re: This Vs That

none
I have been inputing EFNs for a few weeks.

Re: This Vs That

Best Answer I Can Give
 For those of you who don't know I will give you what I do know.
In order to be a Beta site, you must do high numbers. Lot's of vehicles. The screen every time you turn on the OIS will tell you that you are one. So if you want to know just reboot OIS.

 What I was TOLD by a BAR Engineer was, the EFN things was asked to be put in by one of the groups that monitor our numbers. It was not BAR's Idea. They believe the PZEV Vehicle are not getting the Warranty that the people paid for. I don't know about you guys but I have not failed that many PZEV. Plus if they were really worried about people getting their Warranty, we would be testing vehicles within the first 2 years.

 You are doing a OIS. Right after the screen that asks Cal. Fed. Ref label, it pops up. Trouble is it SHOWS tons of numbers. You can't go by the last couple, I have seen it not be the right front numbers.
You have a 6.8 Ford and it starts with EFN that are not even close. Car stuff.
Some times you type it in and it tells you, you are doing it wrong. Old guys like me will have a hard time reading all the numbers. If they are at the back FORGET IT. Camera time. Then you move, the picture you can't read, and have to do it twice. You put the stuff in just like it says, it tells you WRONG. Some times you start putting the number in and then it pops up. Wasn't even on the list. Well it knows it now why did it from the beginning?

 I don't know why JM asked but this is for those not doing it yet. When they got rid of the extra paper we Beta people started doing the EFN thing. So I would have thought all stations got the EFN thing when you got the down load to stop the extra paper.
Hope this helped out.

Hope this helped out.
Someone hacked BESTA's account.

Re: This Vs That

His_Stigness
I'm sorry but I'm tired of the BAR putting everything on Smog Stations. For years every time a car fails the OIS prints out all the warranty information, including PZEV, regardless of year or mileage. So every fail was automatically two sheets of paper. Whatever, if it gave the customer their warranty information WHICH IS ALREADY IN THEIR OWNER'S MANUAL, fine.

But now we have to print out recall notices. Again, this is not our responsibility. That's on the MANUFACTURER. But now we have more paper we need to give the consumer.

Now the BAR wants US to input the test group to CHECK if PZEV are getting their warranty. I'm sorry, but how and the fuck is that our responsibility? First, it's on the consumer to read their damn manual and see what's covered. And to a lesser extent it should be on the repair shop to check their warranty. Any car that comes in that's less than ten years old and under 120k miles? Check it. But again, the consumer is responsible.

It's not my responsibility as a smog inspector or station manager to hold the customer's hand. I've tried over the years to help consumers, and they don't fucking care. I've tried telling them the car they just bought as is tampered needs to go back to the seller. They don't care. I tell them about their extended warranty on their TDI, they don't care.

Someone hacked BESTA's account.
can u summarize i stopped after the first sentence

Re: This Vs That

smog frogposter
Strongly believe the reason we are inputting EFN's is not just for warranty related matters but also aftermarket parts such as Catalytic converters that must correspond with the EFN. Had at least a couple of federally certified vehicles with incorrect Catalysts that did not match the EFN and had to be sent to the referee due to no aftermarket part available.

Re: This Vs That

KeepItReal
smog frogposter wrote
federally certified vehicles that did not match the EFN
We don't have to check the EFN on Federal vehicles when checking aftermarket cats

Re: This Vs That

smog frogposter
Thank you for that, oddly enough on both of those occasions the catalysts were a pre-OBDII Cat on a OBDII vehicle with no BAR ref labels.

Re: This Vs That

No One
smog frogposter wrote
Thank you for that, oddly enough on both of those occasions the catalysts were a pre-OBDII Cat on a OBDII vehicle with no BAR ref labels.
I actually was told by someone on here about this and didn't want to pass a car because of it. I had to hear it straight from the mouth of a BAR rep who called me back and left me a message.

Re: This Vs That

His_Stigness
smog frogposter wrote
Strongly believe the reason we are inputting EFN's is not just for warranty related matters but also aftermarket parts such as Catalytic converters that must correspond with the EFN. Had at least a couple of federally certified vehicles with incorrect Catalysts that did not match the EFN and had to be sent to the referee due to no aftermarket part available.
I would like to believe that's why, but I doubt the BAR is willing to pay for the software/programming would detect EOs input that don't match the EFN. We were on dial up until what, a few years ago?

But personally, I always put the EO, P/N, and that it matches the EFN (and I put that in) in the test notes on the OIS and my invoice since the BAR97 has no notes section.

Re: This Vs That

Knitpickens
yes ,putting in EFN s , i thought it was statewide .

Re: This Vs That

none
We just started BETA testing another program that has something to do with World Wide not working correctly so I wonder if the guys with W/W machines are the ones still not inputting EFNs.

Re: This Vs That

XXAMM1
None
    Is the BETA for BAR 97 or OIS? We have an ongoing issue with W/W BAR 97.
   We had to get BAR engineering involved to get a software correction.

Re: This Vs That

none
XXAMM1 wrote
None
    Is the BETA for BAR 97 or OIS? We have an ongoing issue with W/W BAR 97.
   We had to get BAR engineering involved to get a software correction.
OIS