This is why I don't normally visually inspect cars

This is why I don't normally visually inspect cars

StarTech
...BEFORE THE TEST.

"Customer" comes in with a 91 pickup.. asks me if I can visually check his car \cat as he got a new cat.

I said its not something we do unless the car failed and its for a re inspection. He said I want to do the smog but i'm scared that if a hose is missing etc that i'd pay for that fail.

Now. i'm slow at the moment and so I said fine i'll take a quick look ... ( if it seems okay, that's an 83 + dollar smog so whatever).

He opens the hood:
First thing i notice is no AIR injection...
Second thing i notice is the evap system is VERY similar if not the same as a 96+.
Third thing i notice is it has TWO oxygen sensors
Fourth thing i notice is the oxygen sensor is a two wire one. I JUST smogged a 92 with ONE wire.
Fifth thing i notice is an OBD 2 Port under the dash.

 Car has NO label, No VIN on dash.  ( Has a replacement vin plate).

Car screams a 96+ to me but its registered as a 91.

I'm willing to bet this car was a 96+ that got stolen, and re vinned as a 91 and got registered.

He then asked if I would smog it under the table and I referred him to the referee.

I took the gamble of it being worth my time and it wasn't... but I learned my inspections are on point. Worth it? You tell me lol.

EDIT: If anyone else gets the car  the vin is :1n6sd16s3mc316778

Re: This is why I don't normally visually inspect cars

smog frogposter
You always set yourself up for trouble and a major headache doing things unofficially because the second you pop open the hood the customer will blame you for anything that is damaged, missing, tampered, etc because you touched it last. These are red flags which you should avoid like the plague.

Re: This is why I don't normally visually inspect cars

StarTech
I know what you mean, but it wouldn't have happened in this case.

Re: This is why I don't normally visually inspect cars

defective
At least you gave yourself the chance to punt him.  Consider how much of a headache it wouldve been had you tested and failed him.

Re: This is why I don't normally visually inspect cars

StarTech
yeah especially considering he was already flaky and weird about paying for a fail under visual.

Re: This is why I don't normally visually inspect cars

No One
StarTech wrote
yeah especially considering he was already flaky and weird about paying for a fail under visual.
You should have sold him a $30 off the record pretest.

Re: This is why I don't normally visually inspect cars

check history it tampered 2 years ago than passed if he did all that work hes just being a lazy ass to get it reffed. stolen cars go through chp for vin verification not that easy to just change the year.

Re: This is why I don't normally visually inspect cars

nanz1414
if you look at the test history it was tested as a 96 in all the test before 2005

Re: This is why I don't normally visually inspect cars

805smogtech
StarTech wrote
[...]

I had something very similar to this recently. Guys bought a van at auction in San Bernardino County and wants a smog. Ok. whatever. says its a 98 or 2000 chevy astro van. the vin i scan and plate come back as a 2001 gmc safari. it doesnt seem right to me, cause it looks more like the early 90s squared off version. So i take a closer look, someone stuck a different vin tag over the one from the factory. (pried the 2001 vin off with a screw driver on a hunch.) Put the other VIN into the bar website for its smog check history and it was a 1990 Chevy Astro Van that had been swapped over to a 2001 GMC Safari somewhere around 2007. Haven't seen it back yet and that was almost a month ago, nor have I looked up the Vins and plate to see if it passed elsewhere as a 1990 or 2001. I rejected it and told him to sort it out at DMV

Be vigilant, you'll see some crazy, weird junk roll in when your a smog tech. And most people I've met either think smog techs are stupid or will just pass anything for money.

Re: This is why I don't normally visually inspect cars

StarTech

You are absolutely correct! I didn’t bother looking that far down! So I WAS right!!

So since it had no label that means every place that smogged it didn’t even notice air injection missing...

Re: This is why I don't normally visually inspect cars

ThePharmacist
It's funny how cars get away with certain faults for years because nobody has caught and the customer would be completely oblivious to it

Re: This is why I don't normally visually inspect cars

No One
And when you catch it and fail them for it, its your fault because it passed all those times before.

Re: This is why I don't normally visually inspect cars

nanz1414 wrote
if you look at the test history it was tested as a 96 in all the test before 2005
LMAO your right i also didnt go that far down, damn he been getting away with it for along time, got busted 2 years ago, and its requiring a star certification whats happening is his usual is out of business or not star certified. as much as some people hate the program it looks like its working to some point.

great job nice catch you should of FAILED HIS ASS, damn so what is really going on?

the vin comes back as a 91 nissan 2 door king cab, so your thinking its a stolen 96 pick up with a crooked vin plate???

Re: This is why I don't normally visually inspect cars

StarTech
That's what I believe as well.  I think the car has been stolen and a 91 vin plate was swapped.

It had no vin on dash, no vin on the side besides a new rivetted vin replacement.

Re: This is why I don't normally visually inspect cars

BasicTech678
StarTech wrote

so the first guy that smogged it might have been in on the deal? untill bar97 started picking up the vin as a 91 or they lost whoever was helping them? because at one point it was being smogged as a 96 with the same 91 vin.

Re: This is why I don't normally visually inspect cars

805smogtech
No One wrote
And when you catch it and fail them for it, its your fault because it passed all those times before.
"But its always passed like that the last 10 years at So and So's Smog shop cross town!!!"

Funny, that usually happens when a smog shop goes out of business because the old tech retired. So now all his customer base has to find a new shop, and then they act all surprised when someone fails them for something the old tech let slide for years.

looks like they went somewhere and it passed. Wish BAR actually did something.

Re: This is why I don't normally visually inspect cars

No One
StarTech wrote

looks like they went somewhere and it passed. Wish BAR actually did something.
so what are you thoughts now?

Re: This is why I don't normally visually inspect cars

xcinlb
805smogtech wrote
No One wrote
And when you catch it and fail them for it, its your fault because it passed all those times before.
"But its always passed like that the last 10 years at So and So's Smog shop cross town!!!"

Funny, that usually happens when a smog shop goes out of business because the old tech retired. So now all his customer base has to find a new shop, and then they act all surprised when someone fails them for something the old tech let slide for years.
Or the other way around, we fail it, and they claim on their BS Yelp review of 1 star that so and so down the street passed them. I usually respond to them in a private message,  that they lucked out but next time they may fail and the shop that passed them may get dinged.