Thoughts?

Evaponly818
I do not know if I ever had a UC encounter and only had my license about a year so I’m wondering what you guys think. Came in yesterday 02’ Honda Civic. 1 cat located right off the exhaust manifold (not under) and it had a visual crack and some weld marks. First thing stood out before I even had the hood fully open
Have you for a fact ever had any UC like this? Obd was good.
Plus the car was a mess inside does not look like a car someone would have just bought. Dude came in with dmv paperwork not a renewal notice.
Idk but I mean if you are going to sell a car you would at least clean it up a bit right ?

Re: Thoughts?

Evil Morty
check the test history  if it has a pass for the day he came in you should be good
This seems like a good time for a drink and a cold, calculated speech with sinister overtones.

Re: Thoughts?

If the crack that was welded was between cyl. 2&3 it is really common. Just above the O2 sensor.

Re: Thoughts?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Yes we pass it, but is that really legal. Some of the "Fine Tooth Comber's" Ding your score for the hell of it people will FAIL it. Modified.

Re: Thoughts?

Hard Nox
Pass for me

A very small not repaired crack I would talk to a reasonable vehicle owner.

A large not repaired crack with a noticeable exhaust leak and a vehicle owner that needs to be failed, earns a fail.

Discretion weighs in.  But not a Tamper.

Re: Thoughts?

Evaponly818
NOx so you are saying a welded cat is not a tamper? Before the first oxygen sensor

Re: Thoughts?

Evaponly818
Btw I did fail it..

Re: Thoughts?

Best Answer I Can Give
 All these answers are the reason it was not UC. A UC vehicle there will be no room, (in the BAR mind) for argument.

Re: Thoughts?

Paula Deen
Not sure if it's legal to fail a crack because the mil is not on (yet), similar to the techs that fail zip tied air pumps. But not a UC.
Ex foodnetwork star, now a dang smog checker

Re: Thoughts?

Hard Nox
I have no problem with a solid repair.   Welding an exhaust manifold or header pipe. Spot welding a heat shield or bracket.  Strapping down a heat shield with a big screw type hose clamp to eliminate a rattle.

If it's a clean repair  Pass
If it's a Hack Job  Fail

The Honda Cat/Exhaust Manifold 1.7L crack repair is a common repair. Pass

Besta's comment is ON. I agree there will be NO doubt if it is UC.

Re: Thoughts?

nanz1414
bar told me not to fail for cracks in manifold. i even had paperwork showing them that the cracks was a  defects in honda cats.  i used to fail them ever time.   but since he told me not to fail them for cracks in manifold i just let them go.    so that was not a undercover u had

Re: Thoughts?

Best Answer I Can Give
 And the next PR will tell you to fail it.

Re: Thoughts?

Jay.kahlon
Those have cracks all the time, surprised you got one who actually repaired it. Also as far as looking up the test history...
Bar smartened up, my friend got a citation last year. It was a Mazda pick up with a missing Pcv. Long story short.... he paid with a credit card, had a renewal notice, had a coupon and he had a normal smog history.

Re: Thoughts?

none
He paid with a credit card? I've always seen cash.

Re: Thoughts?

If the UC crews want to snag more lazy or distracted techs, they should start "hooptifying" their vehicles with things like broken door handles, cracked windshields, missing battery hold-downs, broken and dangling rear-view mirrors, random overdue bills and fast-food bags strewn around the interior, overflowing ashtrays, inoperative odometers, floppy DLCs, slimy steering wheels and gear shift knobs, ill-fitting filthy seat covers, bubbled window tint, tattered family photos covering most of the idiot lights and gauges, crappy stereo installs blasting crappy music, moldy chicken wing bones on the passenger seats, and a few empty beer cans on the floor.  Oh, and a few small-caliber bullet holes in the trunk lid and a baseball bat tucked in near the driver's door sill!

Re: Thoughts?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Damn, you do live in a NICE neighborhood.

Re: Thoughts?

KeepItReal
Evaponly818 wrote
Btw I did fail it..
GV smog
ARD # 251208

Was sent a UC and he failed it for a exhaust leak in front of the cat and the BAR gave him a citation for failing it

Re: Thoughts?

KeepItReal
Evaponly818 wrote
Btw I did fail it..

Re: Thoughts?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Some one had a hard on for that guy. Gave him a Citation for failing a vehicle? One that was to FAIL?

Re: Thoughts?

Does the smog manual actually state anything about NOT failing exhaust leaks/holes? Because if it's not, then a rep on the phone saying otherwise is not the most reliable source of information and will not stand in court
12