Tire Drying.

justa
Banned User

Re: Tire Drying.

just another shop owner wrote
Reading Barry's thing about barely pass, just under the cut point.

 I am surprised at you guys, really am.

 SPX and Sun I know, the last thing before you start the test, it ask if you want to do tire drying.
Yeah, ESP does the same thing, and I use it if the tires are wet.
 The Dyno is down, on the SPX and Sun if you roll now it will not start, or count up. Get the Damn CAT HOT.
That's not how it's supposed to be done.  The Smog Check Inspection manual is rather clear on that matter.  Plus, why would I want to intentionally FuPR myself over by super-heating an F+ into a D-?  I get FuPRed over enough as it is by bone-headed repair attempts and cat-slap-fever and retarded follow-up techs and rats chewing on shit and cars that go two years without the hood ever getting opened.
As you are testing jump out once or twice. Make the car roll longer.
STAR calls that a "restart", and you're dinged for it every time you pass whatever POS you restarted.
 THIS IS THE WHOLE BULLSHIT ABOUT THE WHOLE THING.
Your repair maybe perfect. The vehicle will blow ZEROS. The minute the machine see's the cut point it jumps. BULL now the State with there programming has told you, you did a bad job.
Fast-pass has a strong potential for making legit repairs "look" marginal, but they would rather keep it and blame us than waste customers' precious time and fuel on a slow-pass.  Slow pass usually only happens when they are "weasel-checking" you.  If they added a "time remaining" column for each ASM, it would explain a lot, but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.
 I pointed this out to the Gold Shield around the corner, and the State has stopped complaining about his Min repairs
I don't think they give a rat's ass about minimum repairs or Gold Shield anymore.  Their precious FuPR metric takes care of that for them, by blaming us directly for every possible follow-up fail scenario, no matter how retarded.
 First and foremost all repair test should be LONG PASS. Then you could really see how clean it is.

 Do all you can to get the CAT hot before you start the test.
I think I'll stick to the manual.  It's about as clear as mud in several spots, but it's rather clear about frowning on super-heating.

Re: Tire Drying.

Just the Facts

Re: Tire Drying.

1bbroygb
I imagine Just a was totally messing with you guys

Re: Tire Drying.

STAR is Racist
When doing TSI if the vehicle fails the EIS forces you to pre condition cat 2500 RPM for 3 minutes, gets the cat really hot and most that fail the first try will pass on the second chance test. It's really stupid because the state says not to do it and the tech doesn't have any options on whether to heat the cat or not. You can't even fail a car for emissions on TSI without the state forcing you to super heat the cat. Except for some 80's model Mercedes in the basic area there is no 2500 RPM test only an emissions test at idle.

Re: Tire Drying.

1bbroygb
The two speed test is different than the dyno test. And revving an engine at 2500 rpm for a two speed test is very different than running the car under on the dyno.

When I was doing smogs in the basic area years ago there were some cars (Volvo 740's I think) where they tested the emissions at idle but the analyzer would actually tell you to go drive the vehicle. I actually think it once told me to do it with an MR2 but maybe my memory is going.

Re: Tire Drying.

Just the Facts

Re: Tire Drying.

Just the Facts

Re: Tire Drying.

1bbroygb
Do you remember the Fords that would have you turn them off for 10 seconds after the preconditioning? I think it was to get the air injection working. I was working with a guy that would just take the tach lead off but leave the vehicle running. I told him to follow EIS prompts…blah blah blah what do I know.

Re: Tire Drying.

STAR is Racist
I also take off the tach for 10 seconds rather than shutting the vehicle off. I do this because sometimes there isn't enough time to restart the truck and rev it back up to 2500. If ur not fast enough it will restart the 3 minute warm up. Happened too many times now I just remove the tach.

Re: Tire Drying.

Re: Tire Drying.

The idle only test on TSI is 86-88 BMW and VOLVO with a ZF HP22 automatic transmission. In 1991 or 92 , before they dropped the 2500 rpm test, I smoked the auto trans on a 5 series BMW doing a smog check. Fortunately We called BMW for a price on a rebuilt transmission and found out that they covered it back then if it failed during the smog check.