Trac light

FiendFX
04 4Runner 4.0L 2WD with traction control button. Trac light stays ON after smog and will not turned off after been driven around.

Anyone know why?

Re: Trac light

FRUSTRATED
Did you or the tech verify the light was not on already before the test?  We have had customers try that crap before so we make sure to note and tell them before we run the test on the dyno of any lights that are on before we start.  Try shutting it off 3 times, sometimes that resets the computer to diagnose mode on some models, also try running the 25 MPH at a high rate of speed, sometimes that gets stubborn trac control lights to go off.

Re: Trac light

RussellJames

Re: Trac light

dodgers
Look online for this. Its grounding 2 pins on the obd2 and pumping brakes and accelerator.

Re: Trac light

FiendFX wrote
04 4Runner 4.0L 2WD with traction control button. Trac light stays ON after smog and will not turned off after been driven around.

Anyone know why?
I've had that happen on a 04 4Runner too.  The Trac and VSC lights were on.  I had to perform a Zero Point Calibration and I used a Techstream to perform the procedure.

If you Google 4Runner Zero Point Calibration you'll find a bunch of post showing you how do this with jumper wires at the DLC.   I've never done it that way.

Re: Trac light

On some toyotas when you have a check engine light come on those two lights come on also. Maybe it was fixed and not cleared? I doubt it had anything to do with the smog.

Re: Trac light

dodgers

Re: Trac light

Another way could be a disconnected sensor (hard failure). Vehicle started check engine and other lights go on. Then it is plugged back in and turns itself off, but other lights remain. Still has to be cleared by a scanner to get trac and abs off. Try it on the next toyota you encounter of that year and model. Be sure you have already smogged it!!!

Re: Trac light

Russell,

I notice the trac light flashes when I hook up my scanner to pre screen. But after turning it off and back on, it's off. But it stated on after the dyno run. I told the customer it will reset but it didn't.

Re: Trac light

Scanner,

I'm a test only, I don't have that kind of scanner. So if the customer files a compliant, I'm basically screwed???

Re: Trac light

Johnny,

The CEL is not on, the vehicle did passed smog.

Re: Trac light

timmy
Not sure if this is relevant but I have seen on some of the newer Toyotas, not sure what year it starts, the underhood label says if the vehicle is equipped with four wheel drive or Traction control it must be done on a four wheel dyno. The cars that I have smogged did have a button for traction control but I TSI'd them because of the underhood label. I am not going to risk damaging a drivetrain on the rollers and I followed the procedures stated by Toyota.

Re: Trac light

SmogTech
My friend have 1 about 2 months ago.  Customer went to the dealership to get it turn off cost 1 hrs labor. Customer come back and asked to pay for the cost to turn off the trac and abs light.  He said no and customer filed to BAR.  BAR visited him and tries to collect the money for customer. He said no to BAR too and stated he only performed OIS and not knowing it will caused the problem. He still not giving the money back till now. From now on if I see 2003-2006 4 runner I will let the customer know in writing it might caused the TRAC and ABS light on when perform smog inspection.

Re: Trac light

RussellJames

Re: Trac light

FiendFX wrote
Scanner,
I'm a test only, I don't have that kind of scanner.
You could borrow a Autel Maxidas, or a Maxisys to do the calibration too.

So if the customer files a compliant, I'm basically screwed???
 I would say yes.

Re: Trac light

Johnny
Maybe this will help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55XmiSsGQgo

Johnny

Re: Trac light

FiendFX
Thanks for the link Johnny. But I don't know if I should attempt this.

Re: Trac light

TSI! The labels are pretty clear that if it has TCS it should not be dynoed.

Re: Trac light

Johnny
I have only done one but it worked, good luck.

JM