Trans Swap - Smog Legal?

SoCalSmogGuy
Debating with my tech, is it smog legal to swap an automatic trans to a manual?
Work Smarter AND Harder

Re: Trans Swap - Smog Legal?

Knitpickens
ummm , i would say yes ,as it does not alter the emmissions? better to check out the Golden Book of Smog

Re: Trans Swap - Smog Legal?

Best Answer I Can Give
 WHAT YEAR??????

Re: Trans Swap - Smog Legal?

planters
With something like this I tell them to go to referee.

Re: Trans Swap - Smog Legal?

Was that model offered with a manual transmission behind that motor that year?

As an example I've never seen a Chevrolet 5.3L with a manual transmission behind it.

Re: Trans Swap - Smog Legal?

defective
Yes, I would say depends on year.  Engine change guidelines also allow for different transmissions in swaps 1995 and older, even with an OBD2 donor.  If the recipient is 1996 and newer, the donor engine and transmission must stay together as a package.

Re: Trans Swap - Smog Legal?

smoggee
Need more details.....in some cases it's yes....in others, it's no.
Never attribute to conspiracy that which can be explained by incompetence

Re: Trans Swap - Smog Legal?

SoCalSmogGuy
WHAT YEAR??????
1989 Chevy C1500 4.3L
Work Smarter AND Harder

Re: Trans Swap - Smog Legal?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Now to what I BELIEVE to be the right answer, and parts of it were already given, Did it come with either a Manual and a Automatic? Is it new enough where it is hooked to a computer?

 So to answer your question, I think NOT. The 89 automatic had a lock up converter. Tied to a computer.
 Not unless you trade out wiring and computer.

 Just my stupid answer.