Two days in the life... (with apologies to the fab four)

Two days in the life... (with apologies to the fab four)

Re: Two days in the life... (with apologies to the fab four)

benzene
About the locking ups, possibly you can check the vehicle's record the next day.
I've noticed that aborts during the early stages of data entry do not show up in the vehicle's record. Whether the technician's record is any different I'm not sure, but think not.  One time I asked a PR1 but didn't get a responsive answer.
Sounds like a lot of stress, thanks for the info.

Re: Two days in the life... (with apologies to the fab four)

crazy8
Barry, were you able to find out which agency put up the camera? I find it strange that the bar would be able to get approval and install a camera in one day, or maybe they a gunning for you by posting on this site.

Re: Two days in the life... (with apologies to the fab four)

Re: Two days in the life... (with apologies to the fab four)

Banned
This camera business came up before. To work, remote cameras need at least 2 attributes.
The need either live feed and/or storage, and power, usually 12 volt. I suppose some could
have internal transformers, thus AC powered. You can now purchase cameras with internal
SD card storage, eliminating the need for a "central" data collecting unit. You would have to
change the cards which are plugged directly in to the camera, as they fill up, typically every
week or less, depending on the size of the card. Monitoring a station, and recording all that
goes on is very costly. You have to visually go through all the footage, to look for any hanky
panky, and this is time consuming. If this really is some kind of BAR camera, it's more of a bluff,
than anything else. When I first started smogging, nobody had "in shop" cameras. As the years
went by, I would see them more and more. You just have to work around them. For instance,
if you are going to do something questionable, assume that it could be recorded, and make it
look like it is legitimate. The single best example over the years for me is timing checks. Some
vehicles, the Taurus for example, are so hard to see the pointer and balancer marks, that most
techs skip the check. You NEVER skip the check if someone is watching. You hook up your light,
and go through the motions. It's that simple. For cameras, you do the same. Make it look like all
is kosher.

Re: Two days in the life... (with apologies to the fab four)

Re: Two days in the life... (with apologies to the fab four)

Banned
I've heard a new "theme" going around recently. A PR1 told me, "There is no reason to jack a car up during the smog check." You rarely hear this kind of directive, unless there's a really good reason. I know that back in the nineties with the TSI mode tests, there were techs who used to, as I have done, test EGR vacuum by driving the vehicle on the road, while watching a vacuum guage in front of the windshield. (The vac line was rerouted of course.) The big problem here is that you can't close the hood all the way. There were a couple of road accidents, and then they came out with, "You shouldn't have to drive a vehicle on the street during a smog check." Getting back to "jacking," it is possible a vehicle fell and crushed someone, during the smog check. They wouldn't want anyone to know that their tests could or would place anyone in danger, who probably filed one of those 7 figure lawsuits afterward. This would be my best guess. One problem with jacks is that they are not required as shop equipment for test onlys. If a procedure cannot be done WITHOUT a jack, then they can't demand this from test only techs. As far as getting busted for a Taurus timing, I've NEVER seen a UC sent into any shop, with a "next to impossible to check" timing set off intentionally. The UCs are always within the realm of reason, if they are expecting you to fail it for timing. I have seen a few with nightmare timing checks sent in, where they expect evidence that you at least made an effort to check them. As you mentioned, the tape on the spout connector had better be missing or broken, or those goofy plastic hole fillers in some bell housings had better be gone. (Few techs put them back, except the Hondas.)  All I can say is that a Taurus timing bust must have been on someone that was really hated, by someone in the BAR.