UC car? Marin County

thepollutants
1996 Honda Accord shitbox repainted blue, used to be silver, no label under the hood
Older middle aged white guy, didn't argue about price, paid in cash
No papers, gave me registration after I asked if he had it
Timing 20B, spec 15B
Distributor bracket corrosion looked like it hadn't been touched in a while
OK otherwise, ran great on the tailpipe

3VNX615
1HGCD5534TA260113

After he left, I look the car up. Weird vehicle history?

http://www.bar.ca.gov/pubwebquery/vehicle/pubtstqry.aspx

Something just felt off about this one. He wrote down he was from a different county.

Am I just being paranoid?

Re: UC car? Marin County

Citation Addict
Where was the canister located?

The only Accord showing is Vin# 1HGCd553XTA153986 last thing this one failed for was missing canister. If you failed it for timing, your fine. Your doing your job. Just fail it, dont think about it.

Re: UC car? Marin County

Citation Addict
Another thing to look at is the VIN and Plate number will have matching histories. If they do not, its a red flag. Thats what happened on my UC car I got.

Re: UC car? Marin County

KeepItReal
thepollutants wrote
no label under the hood

Timing 20B, spec 15B
It was not an undercover car,

A undercover car will have a underhood label,

And the timing will be a least 10 degrees off.

Re: UC car? Marin County

K20SI
if u smogged it today check and see if it go in the history tomorrow

Re: UC car? Marin County

Timing is not adjustable on 96 accord...

Re: UC car? Marin County

thepollutants
Really? Because this dizzy looks pretty slotted to me. On the car, you can see the slot gap next to the bolt if you look very carefully.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13sv401_e0511.png

Re: UC car? Marin County

justa
Banned User

Re: UC car? Marin County

FiendFX
Check Alldata and Mitchell. If timing is out of spec, replace PCM.

Re: UC car? Marin County

check ALLDATA.

Re: UC car? Marin County

reactor
Sometimes only the top hole is slotted and the 2 bottom ones are not.

Re: UC car? Marin County

SMOG 1
I agree with just another shop. Ding on the adjustable 96 accord

Re: UC car? Marin County

FiendFX
You can dispute it. 2.2L 1996 is not adjustable as i stated many post above.

Re: UC car? Marin County

kilativ
This post was updated on .
FiendFX I agree with you. Accord 96 is not adjustable, but if you not check it, you will get dinged.

Here is the link for OEM Service Manual.

Re: UC car? Marin County

justa
Banned User

Re: UC car? Marin County

kfworry
An under cover vehicle will have "tamper marks" on the hold down bolt and body
of distributer. In case a Test Only or Test & Repair center make adjustments
WITHOUT authorization.
Al

Re: UC car? Marin County

Al
I have never got dinged for a 1996 accord.  Was worried at one time, cause when they replace the distributor sometimes it will be slotted in all three holes. Ended up calling Carl at Sacramento office and he stated it was non adjustable as per ALLDATA.  That was 2 years ago and I have never got a ding for not checking one.

Re: UC car? Marin County

I dont know why you guys are getting dinged. Because I never got dinged for 96 or 97 honda accord. As per STAR Q&A, you can make a dispute with evidence it's not adjustable. Like we all know, STAR program is a flaw. If the major tests the vehicle and you don't do the same, you get dinged period. This is why you are allowed to dispute.

Re: UC car? Marin County

Mike
Any timing spec on the underhood label, if not, then don't check timing, never got dinged either.

Re: UC car? Marin County

EO144107