URGENT NOTICE FIRE HAZARD GEN 3

RED CABLE CAUGHT FIRE. VEHICLE WAS A 1992 MERCEDES C300CE. Note: Cables were properly covered before testing (plastic covered ends).

Re: URGENT NOTICE FIRE HAZARD GEN 3

The visible evidence suggests that it grounded out on the underside of the hood, or possibly the hinge.  That's why I LOWER the hood before ASM, but never CLOSE it completely.

Re: URGENT NOTICE FIRE HAZARD GEN 3

Best Answer I Can Give
 I keep a roll of TP in each machine. Close the hood on the TP.

 Now my question is, why were you using that lead. The SPX machine, if you play with it you can get a GOOD signal from a lot of places. I don't even know where half of my other stuff to get a RPM is.

 Try grabbing a Pos or Neg cable with the spark plug lead. Set on Coil and nine times out of ten I can get a usable signal. Try moving it around. bunch of wires by the battery sometimes works.

 i sure hope you can do the same with the new machine.

Re: URGENT NOTICE FIRE HAZARD GEN 3

What are the battery clips used for?

Re: URGENT NOTICE FIRE HAZARD GEN 3

I have a rule that if you put the hood down then it gets down all the way and latched. I had worked on a car years ago and the hood flew up on the boss during a road test where I had just set it on the first catch (I thought) and I had one fly up on a customer's car here when an employee didn't close it properly. It was an expensive fix.  I think both guys could have used some toilet paper.

I didn't actually say that I put them down, I said that I "lower" them.

Re: URGENT NOTICE FIRE HAZARD GEN 3

Re: URGENT NOTICE FIRE HAZARD GEN 3

BlueSky
D wrote
...... the cable is retarded short......
Call ESP and tell them to send you the long cables.  My original set was 14' long, the longer cables for hooking to battery are 27'.  They didn't charge me for them either.

Re: URGENT NOTICE FIRE HAZARD GEN 3

D wrote
... Book says hood must be down for ASM but I don't latch it ...

By my definition, that means to not leave it fully open.  I have a hood prop with infinite adjustments.  I "lower" it before ASM.

Re: URGENT NOTICE FIRE HAZARD GEN 3

Kriss Vector

Re: URGENT NOTICE FIRE HAZARD GEN 3

Best Answer I Can Give
 You put the roll of TP under the hood because , it's soft, won't hurt the paint. It's tall enough to keep it off the safety latch. No fumbling to find the latch to reopen the hood.
Plus people laugh, and you can make them smile.

Re: URGENT NOTICE FIRE HAZARD GEN 3

Best Answer I Can Give
 None, I had a lady come back the next day. Hood flew open on the freeway. Blamed me. Trouble was she told me her brother and dad looked at it after it left here.
I left it open after two other people looked at it.
Told the BAR that, That's as far as it went.

Re: URGENT NOTICE FIRE HAZARD GEN 3

I guess it's safe to say there's no major voltage drops on the negative side!  When I first saw this thread, I thought there was some kind of defect with the Gen 3!
The only thing about wearing a mask that bothers me is that the girls are a lot friendlier.

Re: URGENT NOTICE FIRE HAZARD GEN 3

Karupt
we still don't have the gen 3 and i am liking it less and less .

Re: URGENT NOTICE FIRE HAZARD GEN 3

Re: URGENT NOTICE FIRE HAZARD GEN 3

We call this problem "Operator Error".
Quit blaming the new Gen 3.

Re: URGENT NOTICE FIRE HAZARD GEN 3

So, it is a pile? The sales guy has to"believe " in his product thats what OPUS tells him to say .He has no clue , what a moron .

Re: URGENT NOTICE FIRE HAZARD GEN 3

Re: URGENT NOTICE FIRE HAZARD GEN 3

Kriss Vector

Re: URGENT NOTICE FIRE HAZARD GEN 3

Aside from the clumsy data entry user interface (I'm gradually getting used to it), the only annoyances I have had so far (228 tests in three months) are the very short "non-contact" pickup cable and several restarts that weren't my fault or the vehicle's fault (as far as I can tell).  They reported on-screen as some sort of "dyno loading error", whatever that means.
123