Uc

Can't sleep

Re: UC 89 Chevy c2500

kfworry
"If" and when the state were to use an UC with the wrong Cat., the Cat. the BAR put on "would have to have a readable Carb EO#". Otherwise their case against the smog station and Smog Tech would NOT hold up in court.
I think Mr. Barry willsupport me on this statement.
What do you think Barry?

Re: UC 89 Chevy c2500

909 Smog
I doubt it was UC.  A missing cat would be more likely.  Especially on a pre-OBDII with unclear markings on the cat.  Don't lose any sleep over it.
iha

Re: UC 89 Chevy c2500

iha
I would be surprised if the catalytic converter is the problem.  The unreadable EO# and date would not raise any red flags. As long as its a "T?". However if the number of bumps is incorrect then... all bets are off.

Re: UC 89 Chevy c2500

kfworry wrote
...What do you think Barry?
There's nothing in the history from this year, and it's Basic area.  If I had to guess, I would say that it IS UC, and it's some kind of functional problem, like inoperative MIL, incorrect timing, or inoperative EGR.

Best wishes,

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: UC 89 Chevy c2500

909 Smog
Come on, Barry!  It's only Saturday morning.  Can't you at least wait until Monday morning to tell him he's screwed?

Re: UC 89 Chevy c2500

can't sleep can you post the vin and i'll tell you exactly if it's a uc or not.

Re: UC 89 Chevy c2500

Can't sleep

Re: UC 89 Chevy c2500

Since it's basic area, a few things - EGR functional, CAT, TAC, PCV and Timing.

Re: UC 89 Chevy c2500

justa
Banned User

Re: UC 89 Chevy c2500

Can't Sleep,

Why didn't you check the EGR?

Re: UC 89 Chevy c2500

RussellJames

Re: UC 89 Chevy c2500

STAR is Racist
I'm not completely sure but I think you can spot an UC car using this DMV website.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/wasapp/FeeCalculatorWeb/usedVehicleFees.do
iha

Re: UC 89 Chevy c2500

iha
If this is true.... why would you post this site?
iha

Re: UC 89 Chevy c2500

iha
So, you see the plate and the vehicle is now tampered. Do you do the EGR functional test? or is it NA?

Re: UC 89 Chevy c2500

As long as you don't certify it, i think you're probably safe.  The Red '85 S-10 Blazer had a bypassed smog pump belt.  I checked the pump and it was seized, so I entered Fail instead of Tamper, because I considered it to be a justified temporary repair to get it back on the road until a replacement pump could be installed.  I was not pursued for entering F instead of D or M, but the guy down the street who passed it got popped hard.

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: Uc

Condemned Tech
According to Irvine Field Office , that piece of shit 1989 Chevrolet C2500's TAC is missing .

Re: Uc

Voltron
Carfax is your friend for UC. If the smog dates on carfax don't match the state smog history, boom its UC

Re: Uc

Doing a proper inspection every time is also your friend with UCs.  Unfortunately, very few of us humans can legitimately claim to be perfect inspectors.  Much time, worrying, and expense is wasted over UCs that are aimed at the distracted or incompetent techs, when the willfully dishonest techs should be the main focus of their enforcement efforts.

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: Uc

Can't sleep
Thank you Barry     Shit happens to the best of us
We're not star certified and I care less about this stupid program
Just worried about what's gonna come next after this fine
God bless the ones here that r trying to help and give info to educate others
Unfortunately there r some that just love seeing when someone is down on his luck and no one is perfect
U never know when u get caught and you'll start asking urself wtf happened ? Could be the simplest thing that We do daily in our jobs
12