Under hood labels

Evaponly818
Who here will require an underhood label to confirm an aftermarket cat? Meaning to match it to the engine family. Feel like cars with no label will get by easier rather than a car with a label but engine family doesn’t match. Thoughts? Or facts? Haha

Re: Under hood labels

I have definitely certified vehicles with missing EFNs and aftermarket cats, as long as the EO# and number of cats agree with any EFN entry on the CARB list for that application.  Exceptions would be things like an obvious ULEV Accord with an LEV cat. I have NOT knowingly certified any vehicles that came back with a freshly missing EFN after I or someone else recently tamper-failed them for an incorrect application, but I suspect that a few have slipped through here.

Re: Under hood labels

No One
ULEV Honda from my experience have always required a dealer CAT.

Re: Under hood labels

Best Answer I Can Give
 No, they require a $10 spacer.

Re: Under hood labels

No One wrote
ULEV Honda from my experience have always required a dealer CAT.
SULEV lol u forgot the S ulev they make aftermarket

Re: Under hood labels

No, they require a $10 spacer.
in your case they require a referral to your buddies shop so u can get your kick back then then remove the spacer before going back to your shop

Re: Under hood labels

BasicTech678 wrote
No One wrote
ULEV Honda from my experience have always required a dealer CAT.
SULEV lol u forgot the S ulev they make aftermarket
I get them confused. I once had a customer that had the wrong cat installed on their Honda and required a dealer cat. $1800 it cost her. SHe accused everyone from me to the muffler shop of trying to rip her off.

Re: Under hood labels

defective
Thats when you give her the brochure for the REF....They would probably pass it anyway though lol

Re: Under hood labels

No One wrote
ULEV Honda from my experience have always required a dealer CAT.
http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/2000-honda-accord-2-3l-tp5034352p5034425.html

Re: Under hood labels

No One wrote
BasicTech678 wrote
No One wrote
ULEV Honda from my experience have always required a dealer CAT.
SULEV lol u forgot the S ulev they make aftermarket
I get them confused. I once had a customer that had the wrong cat installed on their Honda and required a dealer cat. $1800 it cost her. SHe accused everyone from me to the muffler shop of trying to rip her off.
I don't think there is an aftermarket catalytic converter that's certified to SULEV/PZEV levels.

Re: Under hood labels

seeerg707
not always . Hondas ULEV usually have a rounder looking catalyst

Re: Under hood labels

SDsmogguy
I talked to a ref down here in SD and he told me when checking for a cat there are 5 things to check the vehicle year, make, model, engine size and the family number. He said if there is no underhood label just make sure all the other 4 things match

Re: Under hood labels

No One
SDsmogguy wrote
I talked to a ref down here in SD and he told me when checking for a cat there are 5 things to check the vehicle year, make, model, engine size and the family number. He said if there is no underhood label just make sure all the other 4 things match
this is dumb.

Re: Under hood labels

Evaponly818
Lmfao. This is ridiculous
So do we just stop being so uptight about an engine family and just pass the consumers car??

Re: Under hood labels

805smogtech
Evaponly818 wrote
Lmfao. This is ridiculous
So do we just stop being so uptight about an engine family and just pass the consumers car??
why not pass it if when you look up the EO and it matches the year, make, model, engine size and number of cats?

So what are you supposed to do when someone brings you some early to mid 90s turd that doesn't have a label or has a different hood, etc? say sorry i cant pass it even though you just spent $xxx getting an approved California cat?

Re: Under hood labels

Evaponly818
805smogtech wrote
Evaponly818 wrote
Lmfao. This is ridiculous
So do we just stop being so uptight about an engine family and just pass the consumers car??
why not pass it if when you look up the EO and it matches the year, make, model, engine size and number of cats?

That’s what we are debating here guy! Obviously SD area ref said ignore engine family if label is missing but enforce engine family if sticker is there.. lol that guy is a ref for a reason right he must know what he’s talking about.

Idk about ALL muffler guys but the dude couple garages down always requires the under hood label to install a cat. If they are missing it he sends them to the dealer to get it.

Re: Under hood labels

805smogtech
Evaponly818 wrote
805smogtech wrote
Evaponly818 wrote
Lmfao. This is ridiculous
So do we just stop being so uptight about an engine family and just pass the consumers car??
why not pass it if when you look up the EO and it matches the year, make, model, engine size and number of cats?

That’s what we are debating here guy! Obviously SD area ref said ignore engine family if label is missing but enforce engine family if sticker is there.. lol that guy is a ref for a reason right he must know what he’s talking about.

Idk about ALL muffler guys but the dude couple garages down always requires the under hood label to install a cat. If they are missing it he sends them to the dealer to get it.
And what happens when the dealer doesn't provide a replacement underhood label?

Or guy comes in with a CA cat that doesn't match EFN, but matches year, make, model, engine size, so you fail it. Takes it down the street and it passes less than an hour later, when clearly he doesn't change a thing about it. That would frustrate me for sure because I lost money and a customer for life probably.

I've never actually talked to any of the guys that work at the muffler shop I send people to for CATS. When they come back, I check the EO number on the cat to see year, make, model, and engine size and number of cats match. most customers get a little perturbed that I sent them to a muffler shop, yet I don't trust that the muffler shop put on the right CAT lol....never had a problem with anything I send there though. Although people love to complain about paying $600+ for a CA Cat when a 49 state cat off ebay is much cheaper.

Re: Under hood labels

Best Answer I Can Give
 Did you do the best job with the INFORMATION AVAILABLE to you? That's all you need to do.

Re: Under hood labels

805smogtech wrote
... I check the EO number on the cat to see year, make, model, and engine size and number of cats match...
Do I understand you right that you would not fail it if the engine family number did not match?

Re: Under hood labels

<quote author="805smogtech">
Evaponly818 wrote
So what are you supposed to do when someone brings you some early to mid 90s turd that doesn't have a label or has a different hood, etc? say sorry i cant pass it even though you just spent $xxx getting an approved California cat?
From my experience, early 90s beaters always have N/A on test group family # on the arb cat page. Go enter any early 90s car on the page and see.
12