Underhood Emission Label

ninjastar808
Hello, new forum!
I am a new smog tech and I've been working for this dude for a month now. When he was teaching me, he said that if there is NO underhood label, choose Federal in the drop down menu (for the DAD). I've been doing lots of research and still cannot find (even on here or the manual) if that is correct or am I just dropping my score slowly and surely by doing it this way.
Any input will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Re: Underhood Emission Label

Re: Underhood Emission Label

I always try to determine if it is federal or CAL by the emissions equipment on it. On older stuff the California model will have more equipment than cal like air pump and evap. Newer stuff like 99 Blazers the California model has two cats and Federal has one and Silverados often have 4 for Cal and fed has 2. If its heavy duty I scan the monitors, otherwise I enter California.

Re: Underhood Emission Label

Smogtech
If you do that soon or later it will catching up to you.

 For ex.  FED emission you not required to verified EFN cat.

Next smog smog cycle, the tech with experienced will verify if it fed or Ca.  your score

Find better shop to work with or Start to verify emission with the books, manual etc to classify the emission FED or CA.

Or
Reject the car and tell the customer to get the Emission Label.

Re: Underhood Emission Label

KeepItReal
Smogtech wrote
If you do that soon or later it will catching up to you.

 For ex.  FED emission you not required to verified EFN cat.

Next smog smog cycle, the tech with experienced will verify if it fed or Ca.  your score

If there is no underhood label, than you don't verify the EFN for the cat.

So how would that hurt his score?

Re: Underhood Emission Label

Re: Underhood Emission Label

KeepItReal
D wrote
Well technically then you must send it to the ref or tell the customer to get a new engine label so you can pass it...yeah I know that's stupid and no one at BARB thought this through. Henceforth I shall refer to BAR and ARB as BARB.
Are you serious ?

Re: Underhood Emission Label

Re: Underhood Emission Label

ninjastar808
Thank you, all, for the replies!!!
D wrote
If there is no label you should compare which emissons controls are installed on the vehicle with the emissions control application guides to determine if it is CA or FED, ie: CA model has EGR, FED does not, vehicle has EGR therefore it is CA. You can also call the dealer and ask them to run the VIN.
much appreciated, yes i've let WAY too many cars with an egr go into the system as "federal"
none wrote
I always try to determine if it is federal or CAL by the emissions equipment on it. On older stuff the California model will have more equipment than cal like air pump and evap. Newer stuff like 99 Blazers the California model has two cats and Federal has one and Silverados often have 4 for Cal and fed has 2. If its heavy duty I scan the monitors, otherwise I enter California.
thank you for all that info! i will be sure to keep an eye out for those silverados and blazers. darn chevy's lol
Smogtech wrote
If you do that soon or later it will catching up to you.

 For ex.  FED emission you not required to verified EFN cat.

Next smog smog cycle, the tech with experienced will verify if it fed or Ca.  your score

Find better shop to work with or Start to verify emission with the books, manual etc to classify the emission FED or CA.

Or
Reject the car and tell the customer to get the Emission Label.
yeah, i had a feeling something was wrong with those "teachings" he was giving me.. he didnt seem so confident and couldnt tell me how his score kept going down because the BAR wouldnt tell him either
KeepItReal wrote
If there is no underhood label, than you don't verify the EFN for the cat.

So how would that hurt her score?
FIFY
D wrote
That's not what I would do, but what BAR would probably say to do. They really think we have time to call dealerships and have them look this crap up for free.
seriously..when it comes to them, it seems it's "yessir, yes. i f***ed up. i'm so sorry. whatever you say.." however, it's pretty shady to me how they won't tell my boss why his score is what it is or how it got there... and BARB is pretty clever lol

thanks, again, everyone!

it hurt when the next tech inspect it.   easy ex. 2002 hondas accord 2005 toyota corollas

Re: Underhood Emission Label

ninjastar808
Smogtech wrote
it hurt when the next tech inspect it.   easy ex. 2002 hondas accord 2005 toyota corollas
agreed. we look up the history before testing, just in case. gotta take all precautions when doing this job.. can never be too sure

Re: Underhood Emission Label

Best Answer I Can Give
 Sorry, but what type of idiot do you work for?
No label then you go to the book. Pulling crap out of your ass? Hello Mr. BAR. What I did this car wrong? What you want me to give back the money?
Pulling crap out of your ass? Sure way of getting in trouble.

 Kid working for me is taking the class. The instructor has got it drilled so far in there head, you ask them a question, it's LOOK IN THE BOOK!

 Tell your Boss to look at a 1978 Chevy Pick up. 3\4 ton. The difference between Fed and CA, TONS. The difference between weights on what can be on a truck, TONS.

 He is doing this shit with OIS? Oh good grief, you guys are dead meat.

Re: Underhood Emission Label

ninjastar808
Best Answer I Can Give wrote
Sorry, but what type of idiot do you work for?

 Kid working for me is taking the class. The instructor has got it drilled so far in there head, you ask them a question, it's LOOK IN THE BOOK!

 He is doing this shit with OIS? Oh good grief, you guys are dead meat.
a kid younger than me, who's dad owns the shop. he lost his star cert and his score kept going lower and they didn't disclose to him why. i had a feeling it was the wrong thing to do. the shop just got the star cert back since i have no score as a new tech.

yeah, my instructor for class wasn't that great. mostly read the book verbatim, until he didn't want to anymore. so, youtube videos or talking about himself is what we paid for. if a student fails, it's the student. if the class fails, it's the teacher.

and yes, this is for the OIS, since our dyno is inop at the moment  so, i'm not learning BAR97 cars at all..

Re: Underhood Emission Label

Just the Facts

I don't allow a missing label to slip through my crack.  If I can prove to my satisfaction that a missing label vehicle is CA, and the installed aftermarket cat only applies to a subset of the EFNs, I will not certify it.  I will not fail it either unless I'm sure it's wrong, because I don't want to FuPR over the last tech who may have legitimately passed it, so my usual response is to reject.  I have rejected dozens in the last six years.  I do the same with missing EO numbers.

Re: Underhood Emission Label

ninjastar808
Just the Facts wrote
Review sections 1.3.1 and 1.3.2 of the Smog Check Manual.

Link to Manual
Thank you, sir. I have read that and will be more thorough when I am presented with no sticker.
barrym95838 wrote
I don't allow a missing label to slip through my crack.  If I can prove to my satisfaction that a missing label vehicle is CA, and the installed aftermarket cat only applies to a subset of the EFNs, I will not certify it.  I will not fail it either unless I'm sure it's wrong, because I don't want to FuPR over the last tech who may have legitimately passed it, so my usual response is to reject.  I have rejected dozens in the last six years.  I do the same with missing EO numbers.

Good to know, barry. I appreciate learning your way....the smart way. I'd like to NOT be fined/kicked out for basically not knowing my sh**..

Re: Underhood Emission Label

ninjastar808 wrote
If I understand this right and you are looking up the history to determine if it is an undercover car, I have news for you. They show a history too. Look up this VIN 1GNEC13T81J265695. It shows a history and no tamper fail.

Re: Underhood Emission Label

Best Answer I Can Give
 Look up history? Sure way to get caught. We had one, we passed two years before. Just look at the history.
 Looked in the computer, our invoicing computer, NEVER BEEN IN BEFORE.
Your trusting data by those who control the DATA???????????????

 EVERY CAR IS UNDER COVER. Do the job you are paid to do.

Re: Underhood Emission Label

ninjastar808
we look up the history to see if it has a "clean" record. if it has a fail previously, my boss is hesitant to pass it. he will fail it before he passes it, so that we dont look bad to the bar. if i'm hearing more and more things about this guy that could possibly ruin me (cuz he already sounds like he is a fail as a tech), i SHOULD look for another job.

on a side note, how long does it take to have a score? he told me about a year. yet, i'm taking everything he says now with a grain of salt -___-
thanks, again, guys!

Re: Underhood Emission Label

ninjastar808
Just smogged an 06 Jetta TDI that had "This vehicle conforms to U.S. epa regulations applicable to diesel fueled 2006 model year tier 2 bin 10 new motor vehicles" I put Federal because I didn't see the words CA or California at all..
12