Update on 8 year exemption!

Super Star
I'm sad to say that the 8 year exemption has now become law.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billHistoryClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB1274

Jerry approved on tuesday

Re: Update on 8 year exemption!

mikesmobile
We smog a lot of 2011's.
Not sure how many but I'll try to keep track and see how this will affect the volume.
Mike

Re: Update on 8 year exemption!

BasicTech678
now my 16 accord is good till 2024

Re: Update on 8 year exemption!

none
BasicTech678 wrote
now my 16 accord is good till 2024
Except that we have to pay a "Smog abatement fee" every year that is going up.

Re: Update on 8 year exemption!

mikesmobile wrote
The volume should stay about the SAME for me.

Re: Update on 8 year exemption!

BasicTech678 wrote
now my 16 accord is good till 2024
Except that we have to pay a "Smog abatement fee" every year that is going up.
yes i did notice that im gonna check my renewal form check how much the fee is, now that i think about it i think there was an 'EMISSION inspection fee" on my contract too hmmmm they got me

Re: Update on 8 year exemption!

So ghetto areas volume will stay the same, nicer areas slight decrease in volume? 19.99 plus cert shops will now be 9.99 plus cert to curb competition?

Re: Update on 8 year exemption!

none
The volume of OIS cars will stay about the same. No NEW years will be added for two years.

Re: Update on 8 year exemption!

My Name is Nobody

Re: Update on 8 year exemption!

locopoco
Its like they deliberately are trying to undermine and slowly get ride of the smog stations for good,but on the other hand they shove a new BAR 97 machine up our a$$,for good measures too?

Re: Update on 8 year exemption!

That's known as "adding insult to injury".

Re: Update on 8 year exemption!

D Rochells 150861
After witnessing a BAR hearing first hand, I realized almost anyone involved in this industry is involved because they can't hack it in a better field and are just showing up to get a paycheck. Screw doing a good job or making sense.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Update on 8 year exemption!

Best Answer I Can Give
I see some one is learning.

Re: Update on 8 year exemption!

Able
Mother F'er!

We do a lot of 2011 so now we're gonna take a big hit!

Beyond screwed! (New BAR97 machine requirement doesn't help)

..... so when are we gonna bring back ANNUAL smog checks instead of BI-annual?!

Or make 2010 MY and older be dyno instead of ois!

This way BAR could generate a bunch of cert. Money.

Re: Update on 8 year exemption!

Super Star
Well, the BAR now gets money off the registration fee to compensate for the loss of cert money, which they have stated makes them "almost whole". So they do take a slight loss but it doesn't seem like it's a big deal for them. I don't blame the BAR though, it seems that this was the doing of politicians wanting to pull money out of this program into another program.

I'm hoping this smog program eventually evolves into a safety check program so that people can continue to feed their families with the license. Plus, I would very much like to be able to fail people for bald tires.

Re: Update on 8 year exemption!

D Rochells 150861
Safety checks would be nice but BAR would fuck it up so bad we would end with some retarded FPR ish system again.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Update on 8 year exemption!

Karupt
Well , thank you Jerry , this state is going down the drain quick . The elites at Sacramento are the ONLY  ones that benefit from any law .this is fact !
   How soon will they exempt 10 years and newer and then 12 , untill we are phased out completely ?

Re: Update on 8 year exemption!

deathbysmog
So someone could buy a new vette dump the cats and be a Gross polluter for almost a decade! good job!!

Re: Update on 8 year exemption!

D Rochells 150861
Yeah, High Modifier Profile vehicles need inspection every 6 months. And can never be smogged at the same shop twice.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Update on 8 year exemption!

My Name is Nobody

This is true.  According to the ARB (Allen Lyons) and the BAR at the recent SAE OBD Symposium in Anaheim.  Over 40% of Evos and WRXs are illegally chipped.  See page 8 - 4pm agendas of the attached.

http://www.sae.org/events/pdf/obd/2017_obd_guide.pdf

http://www.sae.org/events/obd/

BAR also is talking/considering all monitors must be completed including Evap monitor on 2000 or newer.
12