Very strange problem with Gen3 and 98 Accord

Very strange problem with Gen3 and 98 Accord

planters
Have a 98 accord sedan 2.3L California certified, auto transmission. The Gen3 never asked if the car could be tested on dyno, it just went straight to the TSI test mode. So I rebooted the machine to make sure I didn't select no by mistake when it ask if can be tested on dyno, but again it never even asked as it usually does, and again went straight to TSI test mode on second attempt.

What the hell? 1998 Accords don't have all wheel drive or any kind of traction control so why did it go to TSI?

Just to be clear, I checked the VIN number on two different VIN decoder websites to verify the VIN is for a 1998 Accord 2.3L sedan.

Re: Very strange problem with Gen3 and 98 Accord

none
Where is it registered? Check the "TEST HISTORY" page and see if it is registered in a BASIC AREA.

Re: Very strange problem with Gen3 and 98 Accord

2002
It's last registered in a county that only requires TSI. NO ASM.

Somewhere not as populated that's why it goes straight to TSI

Re: Very strange problem with Gen3 and 98 Accord

Evil Morty
basic area smog = tsi test
This seems like a good time for a drink and a cold, calculated speech with sinister overtones.

Re: Very strange problem with Gen3 and 98 Accord

planters
oh yeah probably basic area. thanks.

haven't had one of those in over a year.

Re: Very strange problem with Gen3 and 98 Accord

Best Answer I Can Give
 What do you care? The machine picks the test, NOT YOU.

 Mr. BAR comes out. I DID WHAT THE MACHINE TOLD ME TO DO. No wasting time rebooting the machine.
Plus you could have gone to a computer to see if it was Basic.

Re: Very strange problem with Gen3 and 98 Accord

If you enter the license plate number or VIN here it will tell you the test area type.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pubwebquery/Vehicle/PubTstQry.aspx

Re: Very strange problem with Gen3 and 98 Accord

Technician A

If you enter the wrong information it will jump to TSI. An example would be incorrect gvwr.

Re: Very strange problem with Gen3 and 98 Accord

Best Answer I Can Give
 Accord Sedan. NO GVWR.

Re: Very strange problem with Gen3 and 98 Accord

Technician A wrote
...An example would be incorrect gvwr.
I've done that before.  I entered the odometer reading in the GVWR box because I was hurrying too much. It ended up taking me longer because I had to abort and start over.

Accord Sedan. NO GVWR.
Example in general and not of this specific case.

Re: Very strange problem with Gen3 and 98 Accord

Technician A
Technician A wrote
...An example would be incorrect gvwr.
I've done that before.  I entered the odometer reading in the GVWR box because I was hurrying too much. It ended up taking me longer because I had to abort and start over.
Yep. Learning by experience. The greatest teacher.